iPad Mini ez installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I exhausted all simple ways to potentially add CarPlay to my 2016 so one day I realized that my iPad mini would be even better than CarPlay and thanks to the smart case and the metal speaker grill this became and ez choice for me... [I will take better pictures later]
rGVEXh0.jpg

I’m using iPad mini 4 Cellular for 2 reasons
Mini 4 allows for iPad Pro like split screen
Cellular has proper apple maps behavior

Set Screen off through Display Settings - Climate audio etc comes up upon hitting hardware buttons.

Flip iPad up to back up or utilize OEM system
G6ro1J7.jpg

I tried to make it look as stock as possible with a simple logo
55vvYc2.jpg

And black background for the Home Screen for clean OEM/Carplay look
ZSQQW3z.jpg

Last edited:
So how are you controlling fan speed etc?

So I exhausted all simple ways to potentially add CarPlay to my 2016 so one day I realized that my iPad mini would be even better than CarPlay and thanks to the smart case and the metal speaker grill this became and ez choice for me...

Just flip it up and it lays on top (I forgot to upload the other pictures)
Basically I have the Head Unit Screen Off through display options, when I need to reverse or control something I just flip up the iPad. Pressing the Climate, Audio or any hardware button brings the screen back up...
uC3GIDs.jpg

I’m using iPad mini 4 Cellular for 2 reasons
Mini 4 allows for iPad Pro like split screen
Cellular has proper apple maps behavior

OK. That’s what I used to do when I mounted my iPad over the screen, but I used the regular iPad (9.7” or whatever it is).

Now I do this instead, since I basically never use the CD/DVD player and don’t need those controls handy:

336C6A72-670E-48F2-AAE1-A3E22F4A6824.jpeg

Last edited:
Now add a WeBoost Drive 4G-X cell booster for signal in places Land Cruisers like to be and you’ll be all set :bounce:

Now add a WeBoost Drive 4G-X cell booster for signal in places Land Cruisers like to be and you’ll be all set :bounce:
Ha! That's one expensive toy, but I rarely don't have signal, most of my driving is ski trips...

Downloading maps is easy...

Downloading maps is easy...

But it's SO much more than maps and even Apple CarPlay if you have an iPad on the cell network. You have the full functionality of the Internet on your journeys. And, a boosted cell signal works great for improving phone/text too, including many places that don't have a useful non-boosted signal.

How do you make the iPad stick and not bounce around after you flip it down?

Not sure what he used, but I used Velcro when I used to flip mine. The screen surround is angle somewhat, so there was no flipping around.

Comparatively, my more recent magnetic solution is absolutely motion-free...yet easily removable. I got tired of flipping the screen to engage general functions still controlled by the main screen...and simultaneously noticed how rare my need for DVD/CD controls mattered.

Last edited:
How do you make the iPad stick and not bounce around after you flip it down?
It just doesn’t, the magnet of the smart case holds it in place thanks to the metal speaker grill. I also added a strip of magnetic tape to the middle of the case to add additional strength but that is really not needed, just did it for overkill. The angle of the Dash on my 2016 and the weight of the iPad is enough to stay right in place

I used the mounts that Markuson posted about. I mounted my iPad there for using FunTreks during the LCDC. I don’t normally have it there, however. I do need to add another powered USB outlet somehow.

The Apple mini as a car computer is just awesome. I have one mounted in my 996 Turbo that I use daily. Of course, it never had a screen/NAV from its vintage. The way it can be integrated is just awesome. One would never know it's even a tablet unless the look closely.

I have mine jail broken. It turns on by itself when it detects power, and starts playing Spotify to my headset. Detects power off, and goes to sleep. All the power and speed, and updates, of modern portables, with the usability and integration of OEM.

I've been toying with getting one mounted in my LX. My phone is large and close enough that it's pacified me just fine.
porscheapple.jpg

I've even toyed with an Android mounted in dash, samsung tab 8.0. Too bad it was too power hungry in that generation to charge and use at the same time.
porscheandroid.jpg

But it's SO much more than maps and even Apple CarPlay if you have an iPad on the cell network. You have the full functionality of the Internet on your journeys. And, a boosted cell signal works great for improving phone/text too, including many places that don't have a useful non-boosted signal.

I intentionally try to find spots with no cell service. :D Different strokes I guess.

The Apple mini as a car computer is just awesome. I have one mounted in my 996 Turbo that I use daily. Of course, it never had a screen/NAV from its vintage.
View attachment 1782337

As you note, the 996 (I miss my 996 C2 Cab) did not use the Nav/screen for settings which makes this possible. A secondary screen like the iPad/Android tablet may be the best option.

The Apple mini as a car computer is just awesome. I have one mounted in my 996 Turbo that I use daily. Of course, it never had a screen/NAV from its vintage. The way it can be integrated is just awesome. One would never know it's even a tablet unless the look closely.

I have mine jail broken. It turns on by itself when it detects power, and starts playing Spotify to my headset. Detects power off, and goes to sleep. All the power and speed, and updates, of modern portables, with the usability and integration of OEM.

I've been toying with getting one mounted in my LX. My phone is large and close enough that it's pacified me just fine.
View attachment 1782336

I've even toyed with an Android mounted in dash, samsung tab 8.0. Too bad it was too power hungry in that generation to charge and use at the same time.
View attachment 1782337

Your workbench looks like mine ;)

As you note, the 996 (I miss my 996 C2 Cab) did not use the Nav/screen for settings which makes this possible. A secondary screen like the iPad/Android tablet may be the best option.

Yeah, all the integration makes it hard. Just pointing out that even as an aux screen, it can be automated to detect power on/off, and seemless turn on/off much like the stock radio would Integrate the audio with BT and it should work great.

Your workbench looks like mine ;)

Yeah, something I'm constantly battling to clean up after projects. Too many various tools come out of the drawers when doing fabrication.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom