Builds Maytag. 1967 LPB, a daily driven survivor (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.instagram.com
Just got home with my new FJ45 LBP.

She's a 1967 that has spent her entire life in Oregon. In fact, I'm only the third owner!

Jim (@jdixon) from whom I purchased this beauty, had owned the truck since 1976. That he ever decided to part with it I will not understand, but I will be forever thankful.

She was given the name Maytag by Oregonian Naturalist/ Author Denzel Ferguson as Jim spent a lot of time at Malheur wildlife refuge in the past. Jim said he was going to type up a more detailed history of the truck, so I'll defer to him and wait until i get that to post up some more details.

First of all... this truck is immaculate. I wouldn't really say restored so much as it's been maintained and fixed as necessary, so a survivor in that regard. It's got patina, and character, but is absolutely solid.

My intention is to continue its legacy. It will have daily driver duties, and will likely see some minor clean-up, but it is not my intent to truly restore this. Important things will be patched and fixed. Any real rust will be taken care of, but this is going to stay true to its history, and that patina is not going anywhere!

She's perfect as-is.

On to the pictures. The first few are from Jim's for sale ad, and the last is from this evening now that I've gotten it home.

FJ45 barn.jpg

FJ45 field.jpg

20180830_202151.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats

Some preliminary questions on things to fix. Gauge cluster is a little wonky. Speedo works, odo works, oil pressure works, Water temp is pegged to high even though the engine isn't running hot, and fuel gauge seems to have a mind of its own.

Anyone have a good writeup on troubleshooting these?

Temp gauge will stay pegged out on hot until first cycle is turned on with key. Then, it reflects true temperature.

First off.

Wow.

Congrats. Amazing.

My fuel gauge is wonky as well. I put a new sender on thinking that was my issue. It’s not.

@FJ40Jim advice was to find empty and bend the needle to there since that’s the most important setting.

Mine starts up. At 1/4 it clicks around then settles to near empty

I bought an oem 5 gallon tank and it rides in the back now

Fuel gauge should do same thing.

image.jpeg
Super nice truck. Sure seems that a lot of these old Oregon 45's were white. That bed looks to be really straight. Same rear aftermarket bumper that mine had. Could be sisters.....
Congrats!

Mark

Nice can
my fuel gauge have it´s own mind too since I bought my red can in 2006.
Who cares.... trivialities. :)
I count the kilometer and fill my 45 can up when it`s necessary. Never run out off fuel.
Cheers

Haha! Yeah I plan to keep some spare gas in the bed, but I anticipate just keeping on top of the fill-ups. How many KM are you getting to a tank usually?

Not sure if you’ve read through the build threads but I got one in similar condition in January and a quick run through that thread may answer a lot of your questions. I got so much good advice from these people and I list part numbers as much as possible.

It’s titled The Goat

Bear in mind SOR is there but lots of places are much less expensive. Most all my parts came from @beno and @cruiseroutfit

I liken using them to eating local. Support the small guys.

That's the thing though. It's ALWAYS pegged. It never moves. No matter where the key is or what the engine's doing

I would check to see that it’s even hooked up. Probably not even attached at the motor.

I think there may be a few better options than the SOR kit, look around. You’d be surprised what’s out there.

I love the old reservoirs! Always wondered if they could be added to the top of a new master? I’ve often considered trying to do that.

Haha! Yeah I plan to keep some spare gas in the bed, but I anticipate just keeping on top of the fill-ups. How many KM are you getting to a tank usually?
Tank capacity of this cans is about 70 liters
70 liter : 17/100km = about 411 km
I fill the can up after about 300 km and always before the can goes to bed. :)
Cheers

I am not sure if it is to personal to you to share, but some wonder what you paid for this. It is up to you as the people who are still looking are wondering.

I would check to see that it’s even hooked up. Probably not even attached at the motor.

I think there may be a few better options than the SOR kit, look around. You’d be surprised what’s out there.

I love the old reservoirs! Always wondered if they could be added to the top of a new master? I’ve often considered trying to do that.

Yeah I found the connection at the motor this morning. It looks a little suspect. Really most of the electrical connections could stand to be cleaned up, so I'll add it to the list.

As far as the clutch circuit goes, I'll do some more research. This is definitely my most pressing repair though. I might actually swing by wilsonville toyota later and see if they still stock anything. They actually have a FJ40 in their showroom, so who knows?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom