1991 MAF Interchange (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have a used one if you want to go that route

• The mass air flow sensor for (93?) Camry fits the 1992 FJ80 3FE. I used it on mine in a mid-life motor baseline / refresh, and it runs much stronger than it previously did.
  • IMG_7435.JPG
    IMG_7436.JPG
    IMG_7437.JPG

Good info there. @Yackster was in a pinch and swapped the one off his 80 to his 62. Direct swap also.

Just for clarification, 91 to 92's use the AFM (Air Flow Meter) that uses a mechanical barn door that opens to measure the air flow. Whatever you drive, if it has a mechanical door then they are called an AFM.
If it has a single sensor wire, then MAF sensor.

Just for clarification, 91 to 92's use the AFM (Air Flow Meter) that uses a mechanical barn door that opens to measure the air flow. Whatever you drive, if it has a mechanical door then they are called an AFM.
If it has a single sensor wire, then MAF sensor.

So, for clarity, and for those who may go shopping, the device that the OP was asking about, and that is pictured in my post above, is commonly called an "air flow meter," but is sold and marketed as a "mass air flow sensor" - correct?

The AFM from the 3vzfe (Camry) and the 7mge (Supra and Cressida) are the ones you want. Toyota made two different sizes of these AFMs. The smalller ones come in the 3vze and 22re engines (4runners and T100s) The Camry and the Supras had the larger one. GO figure. Electrically they are all pretty much the same. same connectors and pin out.

You'll notice a bit of a power increase when you put either the Camry or the Supras AFM on the 3FE. The 3FEs AFR runs richer than stoich. Changing the AFM leans it out a little due to the AFR set for a different (smaller engine).

If you pop the black cover plate off you can see the spring and cog wheel. mark where the cog is so you can go back to factory setting. adjust it in either direction to add or subtract fuel.

So, for clarity, and for those who may go shopping, the device that the OP was asking about, and that is pictured in my post above, is commonly called an "air flow meter," but is sold and marketed as a "mass air flow sensor" - correct?

Aftermarket sources (Amazon, Rock Auto, etc) for the replacement Toyota AFM can name it what ever they choose to. For the correct Toyota nomenclature, the one with the barn door is referred to an AFM. Very simple to recognize also, the Toyota AFM is constructed of a 1/4 circle for the placement and movement of the swinging barn door.

Last edited:
The AFM from the 3vzfe (Camry) and the 7mge (Supra and Cressida) are the ones you want. Toyota made two different sizes of these AFMs. The smalller ones come in the 3vze and 22re engines (4runners and T100s) The Camry and the Supras had the larger one. GO figure. Electrically they are all pretty much the same. same connectors and pin out.

You'll notice a bit of a power increase when you put either the Camry or the Supras AFM on the 3FE. The 3FEs AFR runs richer than stoich. Changing the AFM leans it out a little due to the AFR set for a different (smaller engine).

If you pop the black cover plate off you can see the spring and cog wheel. mark where the cog is so you can go back to factory setting. adjust it in either direction to add or subtract fuel.

I hope it adds power because I desperately need more with the 35's! I got one from amazon warehouse deals for $32 shipped because of "damaged packaging". Should be here Tuesday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom