Meet $56 bucks, aka, howlie 2.0 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well the title says 70, and the dash(minus the panels) has every factory switch present. Most are not hooked up so i am going to disconnect each toggle switch under the dash and rewire to use the factory switches.

Currently the running lights are hooked up correctly and the turnsignals work from the original steering colum unit.
However, sadly the headlights where not powering on when the switch was pulled. The above wiring diagrams(big thanks j mack) point to a whole different switch then where i was poking around with the volt meter

Just gonna have to kill the work day then get down with some coke and strippers tonight
gettin-down-tonight-with-some-coke-and-strippers-5825103.png

So progress report,
Went through and starting with the lights, labled and documented every wire and where they "intermingled"(won't insult people by saying splice, this is janky) with the new wires from the harness.

And a funny problem that cropped up was the electrical gauge was not working. So i reinstalled the missing fuses in the panel, and took her for a spin. Gauges all work flawlessly. The problem was I ran over a pothole and the windshield wipers came on.
And stayed on. No switch shut them off, only slamming into another pot hole and they shut off. Those wires are cut and capped off for now.
Heres the dash all lit up now
0826181952a.jpg

Thanks to the wiring diagram I began pulling the dash apart(thats a lie it fell apart!) And the switch is aftermarket so the wiring harness is kinda redundant
cat GIF on GIFER

So I threw in some relays and used the switch(from a like 78 fj40 if i am guessing right?) And now i have gauges and backlights!
then the gas gauge quit working and so did i

Driving down the road i heard a tapping, and it came from the block of plate infront of the Glove box. Turns out I have a glove box! And I opened it while driving down the road at about 40 mph.
0826181544.jpg

And it had happy little flying assholes living in there........and they got mad so I slammed the glove and sped all the way home.
0826181545.jpg

I.e. brake clean and a lighter works in place of wasp killer

Nice looking glove box cover - guess you just need a little knob or handle to complete.
In all honesty, your rig looks like it either at one time was, or was on its way to being a pretty sweet ride. I’m seeing a lot of good stuff in these pics.
Of course the story has all the usual, em, potholes, that go along with pig ownership.

Last edited:
I agree, with a little love she's going to be nice. Screw the yellow jackets!
Yes it has had alot of money and time put into her. I bet if I had a hand drawn wiring diagram from when they installed the harness it would make alot more sense. But the butt connectors or lack there of, and the electrical tape, and lack there of, do spin a tale of someone who threw it together to just drive it. Or ran outta time

Yes it has had alot of money and time put into her. I bet if I had a hand drawn wiring diagram from when they installed the harness it would make alot more sense. But the butt connectors or lack there of, and the electrical tape, and lack there of, do spin a tale of someone who threw it together to just drive it. Or ran outta time

Or ran outta inheritance money

Any plans for the suspension/tires?

Yes yes - do tell!:bounce:

Well for now its get it running and driving. Iron out the major kinks.( like a bolt for the starter)
0827181440.jpg

Actually one of the projects on the list is welding new shock mounts onto the axle. And I have to roll the old dana 70 out since it is hollering and put my rebuilt 14bff under it after I get the disc brakes put on

Also need to measure the leafs because it sits oddly, lea ing towards the driver side

What happened with this? Run out of steam already? 😄
I ended up in a nasty accident where I was t boned by a drunk driver. Been piecing it back together.

Ran it at the 2019 gambler500 and had a blast with the use compensator boys.(20 foot stretch lincoln towncar on 54 inch mud terrains and 5 feet of lift)

Truck was just getting fixed, had the new shock tabs and a new trans ready to go in. I was driving it one last time before she went down for the transplant. The 55 was t boned and flipped on its side. Low speed crash but it toasted the suspension. Going to make a build thread soon

Oh dang, terrible.

I ended up in a nasty accident where I was t boned by a drunk driver. Been piecing it back together.

Ran it at the 2019 gambler500 and had a blast with the use compensator boys.(20 foot stretch lincoln towncar on 54 inch mud terrains and 5 feet of lift)

Truck was just getting fixed, had the new shock tabs and a new trans ready to go in. I was driving it one last time before she went down for the transplant. The 55 was t boned and flipped on its side. Low speed crash but it toasted the suspension. Going to make a build thread soon

Dang, sorry to hear about this!
Hope you are okay?
Didn't @cruiserjunktion Deo's Surf Wagon come back from a t-bone incident?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom