CSC August Meeting Agenda 8.24.2018 *Lots of stuff to cover* Feature Vehicle* (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

[dCruiserPhil, post: 11861493, member: 2882"]Interested what model or what does it fit?[/QUOTE]
Am interested if LCP does not take it

Look what I just picked up.

3C2D5966-DECA-44D0-9AB5-07C617E5C85D.jpeg

Coincidentally I ran into @Pitch from Flagstaff at the museum. Had a great time chatting and oogling over the Cruisers.

Coincidentally I ran into @Pitch from Flagstaff at the museum. Had a great time chatting and oogling over the Cruisers.
Yeah, I met Hank "from Phoenix" on the way into the museum. It didn't click till I saw him checking out a blue and white '78 FJ55. (See his avatar for clarification):hmm:

Was there for a short time, had my wife with me and she was exhausted. She was up at 0400 as she starts at 0500. Met @LandCruiserPhil got my sway bar disconnects and Delta bracket. I am excited about installing them. Next time I will stay later.

@Abigail , any news on the September ROTM? I need to check with “the man” to take time off.
@Abigail and I pre ran 393 yesterday and it was washed out. About 6 miles in... I think she has a back up plan. She told me she will be posting soon.

@Abigail , any news on the September ROTM? I need to check with “the man” to take time off.
@Abigail and I pre ran 393 yesterday and it was washed out. About 6 miles in... I think she has a back up plan. She told me she will be posting soon.

Won't be able to do my original idea of a CO trip this year, too busy. Thought of 393 to Bartlett but it's completely impassible about 7mi in. Deciding on backup plan, will update soon.

Also meeting notes will be posted tonight.

Copper State Cruisers Monthly Phoenix Meeting
Friday, August 24, 2018 @ 7:30 PM
Sonic on Broadway
Tempe, AZ

First Time Guests
  • Shaylynn @Desert Rat 77 has a 1977 FJ55 named "Thelma", it was her first car that she bought straight out of the army back in 1992, and she is the third owner. She drove it for awhile but then it sat for many years, so the paint has seen better days. The engine works real well although there have recently been some electrical issues to work through, and they seem to be all resolved now. Her next priority is fixing up the body.
  • Dan (no mud name), a friend of @Fishbone60 stopped by-- he owns an '96 LX450. He claims that his kids are the reason he has no time to take his truck off-roading, but is making an effort to find some people to go out with, hoping maybe to tag along on some ROTM soon to get back out on the trails.
New Members
Run of the Month
  • August - @LandCruiserPhil organized and led the August ROTM August ROTM 2018 over August 18-20. This was a 3-day trip that explored a wide variety of terrain in AZ. The group started off spending Friday in Flagstaff (some drove up Saturday morning). We drove approx. 400 miles from Flagstaff to Flagstaff, about 300 of it was on dirt. We went and saw a bunch of different cool stuff and had a good time. Saturday traveled to White Pocket, and Sunday camped south of Jacob's Lake. More adventures were had on Monday-- see the ROTM thread for details, pics, and videos.
  • September - @Abigail will be leading this ROTM, TBD -- keep an eye out, details will be coming soon.
  • October - @brices123 will be leading his annual October 2018 ROTM - Casner over October 12-14. All the trail spots (only 10 available due to required permit restrictions) are taken at this point but everyone is welcome to come up and camp, this typically turns into a pretty large camping group (Friday and Saturday) and we always have a really great time. The camp spot is called "The End of the World" and is very beautiful, offering great scenic views over Sedona. There are also a lot of mountain bike trails or hiking trails available for those who aren't going to be doing the actual Casner Trail. There's talk of some group street tacos taking place....
  • November - OPEN -- any takers? :)
Drawing of the Month

We are are looking for ideas for items for "Drawing of the Month" (although this seems to be more like "drawing of the every few months"). The cost should be around $75-125 so that we can keep the cost and number of tickets low.

Ideas:
  • A good quality first aid kit
  • An Ultragauge
  • A good small cooler (@jdayment mentioned he has a large discount off Pelican cooler/cases ~$135)
  • An electrical fire extinguisher (although according to some people, this isn't effective-- we may have someone from the fire department come in and do a talk on automobile fire safety sometime soon)
New Business
  • STREET TACOS - On the last ROTM someone brought items to make street tacos and they were really delicious and super simple to make. We're thinking that "street tacos" should be a group food that we consider bringing for all of the CSC camping runs because because they're very easy to make and simple for group contributions, we will make a list of what is needed and people can sign up to bring whatever. If people aren't interested in that they don't have to participate.
  • Midnight camping curfew - when camping on CSC runs, after midnight is going to be "quiet time" to be considerate of everyone's need for beauty sleep.
  • Koozies - There's talk of putting together a run of CSC beer koozies sometime soon.
  • MALTEC TRUCKS - @LandCruiserPhil had a Maltec twin-turbo diesel 200 series with him on loan and did a little "show and tell." One thing about Maltec, there is no production, every truck is a custom one-off order specifically how you want it. There will be some at next year's Overland Expo that can be sold, but that's not typical. They start with a box shell that's completely carbon fiber, about 1 inch thick all around, very well insulated; the weight of the shell is under 200lbs. The total weight of the whole build out is usually around 650lbs, and sometimes the final product will weigh less than the actual land cruiser, depending on the beginning model. This 200 series he had weighs less than his normal white 80 series. This truck gets about 19mpg and holds 80 gal of fuel. The truck holds 15gal cold fresh water and 6.5gal hot fresh water. The box is completely separate from the land cruiser but you can pass through from the cab into the box. Some have side entrance, some have rear entrance, Phil prefers the side entrance because of how the whole layout works. There's room for 2 extra passengers in the truck, and the nice thing is you can sleep up in the tent or down in the box, and the windows will be totally blacked out to block the light. The starting cost if you want to send you truck over to be converted is $75,000-- to buy the whole truck already built out will run around $140k-190k. Maltec is out of Germany and the company has made about 300 of these trucks so far. The Maltecs are 100% "LCP wife approved."

Last edited:
Fall color is on its way. The Aspens on the North rim has not changed as of Monday (hint) but I did see some change further north.

I like your hint. Weather at 7,000' has been great, down into the forties at night. Probably won't see the fall colors here until early next month but in a few years north of canyon very well may have fall colors in a few weeks.

I like your hint. Weather at 7,000' has been great, down into the forties at night. Probably won't see the fall colors here until early next month but in a few years north of canyon very well may have fall colors in a few weeks.

I came home yesterday via Twin Arrows then down by your area pretty and green but no color.

IMG_9497.JPG

I came home yesterday via Twin Arrows then down by your area pretty and green but no color.

View attachment 1782570

Twin Arrows, did you win anything at the cascino? Believe heading south of I-40 from Winona you can travel down the SR-87 on dirt. Is that the way you went? Weather has been great in rim country. Fall colors here are generally early October. Maples in AZ are not that common. Bit they produce some wonderful red leaves when you do see them. Last two years for reasons out of our control we have missed the colors. That and the Casner run. Hoping this year will be different.

Twin Arrows, did you win anything at the cascino? Believe heading south of I-40 from Winona you can travel down the SR-87 on dirt. Is that the way you went? Weather has been great in rim country. Fall colors here are generally early October. Maples in AZ are not that common. Bit they produce some wonderful red leaves when you do see them. Last two years for reasons out of our control we have missed the colors. That and the Casner run. Hoping this year will be different.

No I went off the Twin Arrow exit - via FR125 & FR126 on that leg and then I jumped back on to other FR's on my way down exploring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom