RMLCA Alexander Mackenzie Trail Expedition 2017 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone have any other ideas for a run? Preferably Alberta or BC as I will still be heading out to the island on or around the 7th.
I spent too much time and money to not go somewhere!!!

Hey guys to bad you had to cancel your trip on the AMHT....... Just wanted to throw in my 2 cents worth if you planning this trip again in the future. There is a push by those that would like to see the entire AMHT as a non motorized trail. Planning your trip for later in the year when it is dryer would cause a lot less damage to the trail and therefore less ammo for those wanting it to be non motorized. Normally by mid August it is drying up but we do it in late september/early October on the ATV's. Have had real nice weather,way drier and no bugs. A little cool at night but ,hey, we're Canadians right :). Personally I would not want to see it as a non motorized trail. With out the motorized traffic I don't think it would get cleared and eventually grow in and get forgotten about. I would not however object to it being closed to motorized traffic between April and early August. Good luck with your plan B trip :steer:

Cool video! My club did the trail, or part of it anyways, a few years ago. It's a shame the timber companies are allowed to clear cut what is, or should be anyways, a national historic trail.
Just for clarification....the Alexander Mackenzie Heritage trail is a "Heritage" trail. And the forest company's aren't allowed to clear cut the trail. For the most part, sections of what was the original trail that are now logging roads were just sections that became roads by default because they went from a foot path, to a horse trail ,to a wagon road, to a road that locals kept using back in the day. The timber companies basicaly just improved the road that was already there. And in some sections the trail was moved to a logging road that was an easier route and isn't the actual original trail.
:beer:

The Washington Backcountry Discovery Route could be a cool trip.

Washington Backcountry Discovery Route (WABDR)

That being said there is currently one fire on Highway 153 at Carlton, directly on the trail. The trail follows the highway for a few miles and it looks like the fire is on both sides of the road.

There is a second mostly contained fire at the south end of the trail near White Salmon.

We did this north to south in 2012 (stopped by fires and did bypasses) and returned in 2013 and completed it south to north. The trail generally follows public land along high ridges and often drops down to paved sections so you have to air down/up many times. No issues with fuel and food supply. The other thing to note - the camps are generally higher elevation and so very little water along the way - so bring lots.
P1050435.JPG
P1050469.JPG
P1050463.JPG
P1050446.JPG

Last edited:
Sorry to hear guys, I just got back in town and was excited to hear how your trip planning was going. Next year?

There was talk of doing it earlier to miss the fire season. That way we get to cross the rivers at their highest :bounce::bounce2: :crybaby:

We did this north to south in 2012 (stopped by fires and did bypasses) and returned in 2013 and completed it south to north. The trail generally follows public land along high ridges and often drops down to paved sections so you have to air down/up many times. No issues with fuel and food supply. The other thing to note - the camps are generally higher elevation and so very little water along the way - so bring lots.View attachment 1503515 View attachment 1503516 View attachment 1503522 View attachment 1503525

Thanks for the pictures and info Glenn. I am really looking forward to it!
We head out tomorrow morning.

We will make a Go/No Go decision on proceeding to the AM trail on or about July 26.

I know we already officially cancelled, but now that it is the promised July 26, I wanted to do a follow up to check the wisdom of the decision we made to cancel early. And the answer is... we were right to cancel!

- Parks remained closed by order of the Director: Titetown, Kluskoil, Itcha Ilgachuz, Tweedsmuir. That was a deal breaker right there.
- Kluskus area, including the Kluskus Indian Reserve remains under an Evacuation Alert Since July 16.
-Highway 20 and 97 both remain closed in both direction due to wildfire.
- Several Evacuation orders and Alerts remain in place for the area.
-The weather outlook for the area is grim...
[Cariboo] 7/26/2017 3:33 PM
WILLIAMS LAKE - After several days of favourable weather for firefighting, weather conditions are worsening in the Cariboo Fire Centre. An increase in fire behaviour and wildfire growth is expected.​
-Oh, and a campfire ban is still in place, which should be obvious.

So, I feel like we made the right call.

Best of luck to BC. I hope everyone stays safe our there.

I know we already officially cancelled, but now that it is the promised July 26, I wanted to do a follow up to check the wisdom of the decision we made to cancel early. And the answer is... we were right to cancel!

- Parks remained closed by order of the Director: Titetown, Kluskoil, Itcha Ilgachuz, Tweedsmuir. That was a deal breaker right there.
- Kluskus area, including the Kluskus Indian Reserve remains under an Evacuation Alert Since July 16.
-Highway 20 and 97 both remain closed in both direction due to wildfire.
- Several Evacuation orders and Alerts remain in place for the area.
-The weather outlook for the area is grim...
[Cariboo] 7/26/2017 3:33 PM
WILLIAMS LAKE - After several days of favourable weather for firefighting, weather conditions are worsening in the Cariboo Fire Centre. An increase in fire behaviour and wildfire growth is expected.​
-Oh, and a campfire ban is still in place, which should be obvious.

So, I feel like we made the right call.

Best of luck to BC. I hope everyone stays safe our there.

Man...

1. I hope everyone makes it out with life and property.
2. If the fire crosses the trail, its going to be a game changer for the deadfall.

Probably the best time to go is September - after the bugs have peaked, water levels are down and some of the mud holes have dried up (a bit).

Although closed now - you guys should know the Chilcotin is very cool ....

P1050246.jpg

P1050046.jpg
P1050064.jpg
P1050069.jpg
P1050072.jpg

Bump! Any plans to do the trail this year? I'm planning to run it at the end of August, hoping the mud and bugs aren't too bad then

I may be doing an ATV trip on a section of it before then. Not sure what condition it's in after last years fires (there's a fire at Cotsworth Lake at the moment) but I can let you know if I make it out there.

Bump! Any plans to do the trail this year? I'm planning to run it at the end of August, hoping the mud and bugs aren't too bad then

I live in Quesnel and there was a group that just went through. The same group of Land Rovers that did it in 2015. They reported low water levels and say that it is quite clear right now.

Use extra care to prevent fires as there are a couple of big ones in the area and the region is very dry. Also, use caution if anyone is allergic to wasps, some muddy areas are swarming with them. Buddy of mine got stung twice in ten minutes while we were on the Quesnel Canyon Crawl a week ago.

Just went through?? Most of that section of the AMHT is under evacuation order.

Just went through?? Most of that section of the AMHT is under evacuation order.

I imagine that the smoke must have been horrible for them. I think that it's irresponsible to proceed on such a run with a high risk of wildfires, but someone from the Quesnel 4x4 Club met them at a gas station in town after they completed the trail from Bella Coola to Quesnel.

He posted the following on FB a couple of weeks ago:

"August 6 at 5:54 PM
Just an FYI
Alexander McKenzie trail has been cleared. Info was recieved 20 minutes ago.
They appreciated the clearing/cutting someone did on this side.
Water levels are at their lowest they said as well."

"Was told there was a fire they drove through"

"the bogs weren't too bad and the water levels were the lowest they've ever seen"

I agree, very irresponsible. I hope they didn't start any of the fires out that way!! This is how all of us that enjoy motorized recreation get painted with the same brush!! And no motorized vehicles in Tweedsmuir Park,
even if they could get through there??? They probably got on the AMHT at Gatcho Lake off the Dean FSR north of Anihim Lake.

I agree, very irresponsible. I hope they didn't start any of the fires out that way!! This is how all of us that enjoy motorized recreation get painted with the same brush!! And no motorized vehicles in Tweedsmuir Park,
even if they could get through there??? They probably got on the AMHT at Gatcho Lake off the Dean FSR north of Anihim Lake.

If it’s the Land Rover group from Alberta they seem very responsible so I doubt they caused any fire and their trip started a month ago now so not super recent with all the fires.

They did skip Gatcho Lake as the natives don’t want anyone going that way now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom