Alternator Differences - 2:00 vs 10:00 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

FJ60Cam

Supporting Vendor
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
www.mosleymotors.com
I got both of these in a batch of cores to rebuild, and noticed that one has the voltage regulator in the 10:00 position, and one in the 2:00 position.

51B67E41-9998-4C6A-8644-32AA9B33FFA0.jpeg

2:00 unit...

F2EC62C2-FE3D-4349-935C-6A06D5D2B422.jpeg

10:00 unit...

514549FB-4BFB-40AF-8713-D9B7C7AD6E55.jpeg

The 2:00 unit is what I’m accustomed to seeing. Was the 10:00 ever used? Can it be used? I don’t have a 60 here to test fit.

It is otherwise identical, only a mirror image.

The "wrong" alternator's VR will interfere with other stuff near the thermostat housing. From what I gather (reading other guys' posts), the clocking of the VR is officially referenced from looking at alternator from the rear. The opposite of what is intuitive. Figures.
The correct alternator (when looking at it from the pully side) should have the VR clocked at 10 in relation to the pivot ear (away from the t-stat housing).

You can get away w/ the 2 (facing the pulley) by using a slightly larger belt. I ran a Cressida alt that way for a while.

My last denso alternator had it clocked in the 10 position - and it really didn’t interfere with anything.

One's from a Cruiser and one's from a Cressida. I'm not sure it matters, but the fit is better with the Cruiser one.

Smog pump replacement!

My 60 has the one with the VR facing the thermostat. Works fine- a bit of a pain the butt to remove the belt. But, it was on there when I brought it, and still works-so never felt like replacing it.

I also noticed that the spacer bushing is pressed in from the outside of the mounting ear in the Cressida alternator, inside in the Cruiser alternator. I haven’t measured the inside dimension yet. Might need to flip the bushing or add a washer for proper pulley alignment.

6FBD3845-3A74-4925-9AC9-1CF117504BFC.jpeg

93ADF145-8B67-46B1-B112-F67CC3DDAEFF.jpeg

Thanks guys :beer:

To summarize:

60 alternator VR is at 10:00 if viewed from pulley, 2:00 viewed from the rear.

The Cressida alternator is reversed. Fits, but PIA to get the belt on/off. Same plug & electrical connections.

For a field repair I was forced to use the 'Cressida' alternator on my 60. Very tight fit and barely enough belt. It worked for a while but (I surmise) the voltage regulator would get too hot running next to the water house and alternator voltage was all over the place. A few days later I moved the internals of the 'Cressida' into the old case and it ran fine for years.

As mentioned, the Cressida VR being squished against the hot bypass hose is a bad thing.

But don't throw away the Cressida housing. Use it to get core credit if needed, or use it on the aftermarket AC brackets that mount the compressor up high and swing the alternator upside down under the AC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom