Builds Doc's 1978 FJ40 Rebuild (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Great pictures Doc! It looks like you strike a nice balance between hobbies and family. At 52 and my kids getting grown, that becomes important. Yesterday, I was working on my FJ62 and noticed my 14 yo sitting on the driveway with a cell phone. I put the wrenches down, grabbed a car, and taught her how to drive a manual. The highlight of her day. Your thread shows this kind of balance. Thanks for sharing and reminding us it isnt all about the rig!

Great pictures Doc! It looks like you strike a nice balance between hobbies and family. At 52 and my kids getting grown, that becomes important. Yesterday, I was working on my FJ62 and noticed my 14 yo sitting on the driveway with a cell phone. I put the wrenches down, grabbed a car, and taught her how to drive a manual. The highlight of her day. Your thread shows this kind of balance. Thanks for sharing and reminding us it isnt all about the rig!

Definitely a hard balance. Since our daughter was born in January I’ve driven my 40 a total of 5 times. I thought I would really miss having project time, but she’s been well worth the change of priorities.

I'd say go for it -- it would be an honor!

Thought it was time to dust off the Mud Account and catch up on some of the threads I am (very much) behind on.
A quick update from my end -- not much happening. I did manage to finish wiring up the inverter but could not find a cool beer sign or other illuminated man cave article to plug in/take a worthy picture of.

I did take a picture out the window this morning. Had to check the calendar -- yep, it really is Mid-April.

View attachment 1681254

Things have been growing in the greenhouse. Been working overtime to keep the wood burner going this year. Opening day will be next week, it will be nice to free up some space.

View attachment 1681256

Patiently Waiting:

View attachment 1681257

In the foreground is one of my mini/quick projects, a turbine leaf blower. It is dragging on a little longer than I wanted to as I am having to adapt parts to an air-cooled Kohler engine (mounts on the brackets next to the battery) to power it. Luckily I have some time before leaf season. :)

Now, off to catch up on some neglected Mud reading!

Some mighty nice ‘Mother’s Day’ gifts hanging there! ;)

Some mighty nice ‘Mother’s Day’ gifts hanging there! ;)

That's the plan! The locals have already been stopping in trying to get first choice of anything -- problem is they don't take anything home because its still too chilly out so we end up taking care of someone else's plants.

Great pictures Doc! It looks like you strike a nice balance between hobbies and family.
Since our daughter was born in January I’ve driven my 40 a total of 5 times. I thought I would really miss having project time, but she’s been well worth the change of priorities.

I am lucky enough to have some of both worlds. The folks live but 10 minutes away and the family does not have the drama that I hear about from others. To be honest, I probably would not know what to do with myself if I did not venture over and help on the farm -- I imagine that is due in part to not having little ones of my own. I try to entertain/educate the nephews when possible, but I know I am still too much of a big kid to be having my own offspring. :nailbiting:

Sheesh, you could've at least lifted the skirt and showed a little fender...

Why show a little fender when you can have complete exposure? ;)

IMG_7458.JPG

Mother Nature finally provided enough warmth and sunshine to justify spending and hour to dig the 40 out of the shop. Yes, there was a lot of disorganized stuff in front of it -- Dad and I are like Sanford and Son.

First Road Trip of 2018!

IMG_7457.JPG

I had a moment of panic when I looked down and saw the oil pressure gage pegged at "L." Pulled over and was relieved to find the wire had been knocked off the OP sending unit.

Drove back over to the folks' place for supper; thought the flag was a nice touch and summarized what the day was partially about: enjoying the freedom of a beautiful day with family and a drive on the open road (even though it was in a Japanese vehicle).

IMG_7454.JPG

I still need to install @SMG 's hinge pins, they look fantastic in the bags he shipped them in so I am looking forward to carrying that over to the 40. Maybe this week, maybe next but now that 40 fever is starting to kick back in I should have it done soon.

While waiting for parts to arrive for the transmission rebuild I worked on engine aesthetics today.
I know Land Cruisers are tough, rugged, and reliable. . . but that does not mean they cannot look good. I picked up a small metal polishing kit from TP Tools; we have a bench mounted buffing wheel but I lost track of what buffing compounds we had (or where they were). I also needed the smaller buffs as I wanted to polish up the aluminum pieces on the engine.
View attachment 1378086
As I started I noticed the intake manifold casting was fairly rough. . . so much so that just the buffing was not going to give much of a shine. I went over the manifold with some 80 grit and then 220 grit on the most visible areas. After that the polishing compounds brought out some sparkle. A little "overdone" in know, but what can I say. . . I like shiny things.
View attachment 1378087
The valve cover was easier to work with as the aluminum was much smoother to begin with. I did go over some areas with the 220 grit just to get started but was metal soon started to brighten up (left side polished, right side not) with some beer to spare. Disclaimer: Your rate of beer consumption may vary.
View attachment 1378089
Went thru the same routine with the thermostat housing, water pump, oil filter base, and as best I could fuel pump. Just for fun I test fitted everything on the engine to see how things looked.
View attachment 1378091
I also blasted the exhaust manifold and gave it a couple coats of. . . wait for it. . . POR-15 High Temperature Paint, manifold gray color. Shock and awe, I know. I believe this is the last POR-15 variant of paint that I will be using so those tired of hearing about POR products can breathe easy from this point on.
View attachment 1378090
I am pleased with the outcome. . . we will see how the finish(es) hold up. Still plenty of little things to work on including the clutch fork/install new throw out bearing, carburetor insulator, alternator and bracket, clutch inspection cover, starter, fan pulley and clutch, . . . you get the idea. I will try to cross some of those items off the list this weekend.
Doc, did you spray your intake and valve cover with anything?
If so what?
Thanks

Doc, did you spray your intake and valve cover with anything?

Tommy,
Apologies for the late reply. I've been hibernating and hiding from the rain in the shop. If I remember back (there are a lot of cobwebs up there) I may have sprayed the valve cover with a high temp clear to keep any oxidation of the aluminum away. Not sure how necessary it was or if its even a good idea -- but what is done is done.

I am sad to say I've only peeked under the 40's cover a few times since my last post. What have I been doing with my time?

The greenhouse opened and we were quite busy with that; on the plus side everything sold out last weekend so growing season is behind us.

The Mrs. had me painting porch posts on the nice days -- I've only been putting it off for five or so. . . years. :)
Can you tell which ones I've painted?

IMG_7546.JPG

If you heard Disco Music playing in the neighborhood. . . it was me. Anyone else still rocking the vinyl?

IMG_7673.JPG

At the home farm a somewhat tame deer has been hanging around. It feels right at home with the donkeys, not too sure about the cat though.

IMG_7665.JPG

Finally, last night another big storm rolled thru. Tried my hand at taking some lightning pictures.

IMG_7714A.JPG

IMG_7736A.JPG

I think that covers the past month or so. There will be 40 content in my next post -- I promise. Have a few things on the list that I am pushing towards the top and its all Land Cruiser related.

First Bath of 2018.

IMG_7913.JPG

Notice anything different?

IMG_7915.JPG

How about now?

IMG_7917.JPG

Maybe now?

IMG_7919.JPG

I finally had a chance to install the door hinge pins custom made by @SMG -- I am very happy with how they look installed but I was not very happy when installing them. Nothing to do with the product whatsoever -- more my ability to hold the door, line up the pin, install the bushings/keep them in place, and not scratch the paint. Probably would have been easier if I had asked someone for help but sometimes when I am determined to do something I just push on.

Thanks again Steve, I think they look great!

The porch report is that all the posts have been painted and numerous chairs, flower pots, and a couple rugs have taken residence. I am also putting the finishing touches on one of my pinball machine restorations -- I have one more picture space left so why not leave everyone with a picture of the playfield -- I sprayed it with several clear coats a couple months back.

IMG_7889.JPG

If anyone knows what game that is I will be impressed.

A couple car shows coming up in the next months, looking forward to being a participant this time. Will be sure to post plenty of pictures!

Its funny it seems like last week you were parking it for the winter lol.

Seems like only last month i finally put my hardtop back on. Then i realized it was Dec 5th i did. Now its time to think about pulling it back off haha. Time is flying these days it seems

Truck gathering at the County Fairgrounds this weekend. I'll post some pictures -- can you find the one truck that is not like the others?

5J5A0270.JPG

5J5A0286.JPG

5J5A0284.JPG

5J5A0290.JPG

5J5A0281.JPG

I do believe the FJ40 was the only non-domestic vehicle present. . . except for the ones in the "common" parking lot ;).

I was not sure what kind of reception we were going to receive; I do live in an area where the necks are a little red and patriotism is on full display. I could not have been more pleased with the experience, both the event organizers and attendees had nothing but good things to say about the 40.

The summer weekends are filling up fast -- Tractor Show to attend next weekend and then the Big Local Car Show the following. Once the inaugural 40 reveals have been completed I will have to start venturing into more rugged terrain where it was meant to go and not feel bad about getting it dirty! :)

Or scratched... or dented :eek:

The thread updates seem to be getting farther and farther apart. . . I blame it on a busy summer and not wanting to bore anyone by posting that I moved the 40 from one side of the shop to the other.
Had a bit more fun today though; our local city has its annual cruise-in the second weekend in July and I finally convinced dad that we should take vehicles as participants this time vs. just being spectators. We cleaned up and road readied his 1917 Dodge Brothers touring car and I followed him the 10 miles or so into town.

5J5A0444.JPG

One of the things I like about this vehicle gathering is that Main Street is closed down for the day and everyone parks their trucks/cars/etc. right on the road.

5J5A0459.JPG

The other thing that is nice is the variety. . . you can park where you like without hassle. You can have a 70s muscle car next to a 30s hot rod (or a 70s Land Cruiser next to a teens Dodge!). Can you find us in the picture?

5J5A0447.JPG

If I had one complaint it would be the heat. I don't like temps much above the mid 70s and we were near/at 90 today. Tough going for a fella that didn't want to scare the spectators with ghost white legs/shorts; long pants and boots as per usual. Luckily we parked on the side of the street that had the most shade. Here is the view from our folding chairs. Yes, that is a likeness of Colonel Sanders strapped to the bed of that Model A.

5J5A0462.JPG

At the end of the day I met a lot of nice people and the 40 drew in a lot of lookers. To be fair, dad's Dodge actually brought more smiles and inquiries, not many 101 year old cars at these things. While it was not a leg lamp I was honored to receive a "major award" (A Christmas Story anyone? :joyful: ) from one of the show sponsors. There are no categories/classes for the vehicles to be entered in; the show organizers let the sponsors pick out a vehicle of their liking and present them with a plaque. Thank You Emerald Awards and Engraving!

5J5A0465.JPG

We made it back home safe and after 10 minutes or so of taking it easy dad and I went back to our usual routines of keeping busy. He tended to his beehives while I changed the oil and fabbed a few parts on my turbine leaf blower experiment.

More updates to come, in the meantime I have some catching up to do on everyone else's threads!

Last edited:
So Mrs. TractorDoc and I took a shopping trip to Aldi the other day. Normally I hang out in the snack isle while she picks out her fruits/vegetables, but this time I wandered thru the home goods section. Pet products, bathroom fixtures, lawn and garden care. . . it was all there. Amongst the selection my eye caught something interesting -- the Aldi version of a Go Pro video camera. At $50 I couldn't help myself (it was originally priced at $80 ;) ) and threw one in the shopping box. I always thought a Go Pro would be fun to have but never thought I'd use it enough to justify the expense.

This one is a Maginon and is capable of 4K video at 25fps.

5J5A0705.JPG

There were all kinds of mounting brackets in the box -- naturally the first thing I did was to see if I could secure the camera somewhere on the 40. The rearview mirror turned out to be a good location.

5J5A0775.JPG

I took my first videos driving on the way to town -- nothing exciting but about two minutes forty seconds of bouncing along the foggy Ohio countryside.

I even took it upon myself to download some video editing software and (as you can see) learn how to post things to You-Tube. Looking forward to posting more in the future -- I think a video tour of the farm trails could be on the list.

Life has been busy as usual in other areas -- accomplishing a number of small projects around the farm this year vs. one major one in the shop. Always dragging the camera around with me though -- a couple pictures of some critters include one of the little frogs that has been chirping outside my window and keeping me up at night:

5J5A0675A.JPG

And a hawk that may have been looking for one of those frogs. . .

5J5A0731.JPG

Closing out with the 40 and friends at another local cruise in. One of my favorites was the Ford Country Squire Station Wagon parked a couple spaces over.

5J5A0767.JPG

More fun with video. Don't want everyone to think that all the 40 does is sit a car shows. ;)

Sorry about the lack of sound. I am not much of a talker and have not advanced to the point of matching music to the video. The engine noise is pleasing -- to my ears anyway.

More fun with video. Don't want everyone to think that all the 40 does is sit a car shows. ;)

Sorry about the lack of sound. I am not much of a talker and have not advanced to the point of matching music to the video. The engine noise is pleasing -- to my ears anyway.

Time for a gimbal! DJI makes a cool one Ive used before call the Osmo

Ah-h-h, surveying the south forty in August - life is good.:steer:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom