100 leaking CV (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone up for a little wrenching on the 100? The Drivers side CV is still leaking tons of grease despite a Slee Diff Drop install. Boot appears to be ok. Maybe the bands are loose or a mystery hole is lurking on the back side of the boot? Open to ideas...thought a new boot kit to start with. I think the CV's themselves are ok as no noticeable clicking sounds are coming from the front while turning.

I had brand new cv's put in by Toyota after my lift. and driver side outer boot small clamp stated weeping so I put on a clamp from autozone or somewhere and it stopped the leak. Now same side same boot is leaking on the big clamp, I am thinking of doing the same thing. it is just a super small wet mark it is not throwing grease... yet. but wtf...

anyone else have a similar issue and use a auto part clamp?

Could I take bull nose dikes and squeeze the factory clamp harder to stop the leak?

@Saul Abel You either need to rebuild the CV Axle or replace it...we have rebuilt OEM axles available which is really the easiest and most cost effective way to do it. Removal and reinstallation is easy to do. Your stock CV is totally rebuildable but its a pain to do.

Anyone up for a little wrenching on the 100? The Drivers side CV is still leaking tons of grease despite a Slee Diff Drop install. Boot appears to be ok. Maybe the bands are loose or a mystery hole is lurking on the back side of the boot? Open to ideas...thought a new boot kit to start with. I think the CV's themselves are ok as no noticeable clicking sounds are coming from the front while turning.

The seeping grease is pretty common if you have recently lifted the truck. After living most of their life at one angle they tend to get a little pissy when you change that angle which happes when you lift. My passenger side had been leaking for some time and the boot finally blew last week after 188k miles. The reboot kits are about 50 dollars from Toyota and the whole process can be done in an afternoon. I'll be rebooting mine once the parts show up but its a pretty simple process. Just very messy. If you want some help or guidance doing it though let me know! I'd be more than happy to help out and get my hands dirty

Reboot is easy. OEM come with grease and the proper band clamps. If your not clicking it’s really just about keeping the grease in there

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom