Help! Code P2442 Secondary AIR System Switching Valve Stuck Open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone had this issue? Apparently its common on the Tundras. I really don't want to fool with the dealer. Looking for real personal experience and possible DIY fixes.

Thanks!!

Anyone had this issue? Apparently its common on the Tundras. I really don't want to fool with the dealer. Looking for real personal experience and possible DIY fixes.

Thanks!!

Check the hoses first, but as you said this is a common failure on the Tundra land late model 4th gen v8 4Runners. Buy the bypass kit and be done with it (assuming it is the exact same setup on the 200):

Air Induction Pump Bypass Module - AIP Valve Bypass - Toyota Tundra Forums : Tundra Solutions Forum

This just happened to my buddy's work truck. His employer had him take it to Toyota. Total bill to fix this problem on his Tundra was almost $3500. I have read about the above bypass module working.

I just ordered the Hewit-tech bypass kit. $349 plus $70 overnight shipping. Hopefully I'll be able to get it on this weekend. Ill let you guys know how it works out.

Thanks

Worked great. Its kind of a pain in the a** to install because the block off plates are between the engine and firewall. But once installed I haven't had any other issues. Cleared engine codes and good to go since. It did sit outside for 3-4 days in single digit weather without being crunk up and apparently I had some moisture in these lines and it froze up. I had a CEL and same 2444 code. I just let the engine run and warm up then I cleared the codes and it went away again. No other issues. If you currently have this issue/code I would definitely recommend this kit. Good luck!

Worked great. Its kind of a pain in the a** to install because the block off plates are between the engine and firewall. But once installed I haven't had any other issues. Cleared engine codes and good to go since. It did sit outside for 3-4 days in single digit weather without being crunk up and apparently I had some moisture in these lines and it froze up. I had a CEL and same 2444 code. I just let the engine run and warm up then I cleared the codes and it went away again. No other issues. If you currently have this issue/code I would definitely recommend this kit. Good luck!
Great! Thanks. I appreciate the advice and will be installing the kit.

Anybody do the bypass kit that lives in an emission testing area? Any issues in testing?

Anyone know of a fix for a 2013 LC? My dealer replaced the pumps and the check valves $3000! The P2442 cade has come back twice since. The LC has 125K on it, but only 5 years old, bought April 2014. The LC is at the dealer now. I'm thinking there is a wiring or pressure sensor problem. I don't see a bypass kit available.

Anyone know of a fix for a 2013 LC? My dealer replaced the pumps and the check valves $3000! The P2442 cade has come back twice since. The LC has 125K on it, but only 5 years old, bought April 2014. The LC is at the dealer now. I'm thinking there is a wiring or pressure sensor problem. I don't see a bypass kit available.
Hewitt is doing beta testing for 2013+ so you might want to contact them.

My problems continue. After replacing the pumps and valves again the P2441 came back in three weeks. The car is back for the fourth time to the dealership. They don't know what to do. They say Toyota doesn't know what to do. Any thoughts? They are keeping it connected to the diag and cold starting it twice a day trying to capture more data for toyota.

Edit P2442 is the code.

Last edited:
Is toyota covering the repairs? My dealer and corporate refused to cover my AIP issues even though its the exact same part that fails on the tundra and sequoia. For me, the trips to the dealer, the loaner car and the general PIA led me to the hewitt bypass. Pro tip though, do NOT buy the Rutech bypass on eBay. You'll trade the AIP code for a coolant temp code P011B. Worthless. Hewitt bypass is worth the money.

Is toyota covering the repairs? My dealer and corporate refused to cover my AIP issues even though its the exact same part that fails on the tundra and sequoia. For me, the trips to the dealer, the loaner car and the general PIA led me to the hewitt bypass. Pro tip though, do NOT buy the Rutech bypass on eBay. You'll trade the AIP code for a coolant temp code P011B. Worthless. Hewitt bypass is worth the money.
I was able to get Corp to refund $1500. The dealer hasn’t charged me for the return visits or the loaner car, a Camry that totally sucks. I am concerned that the problem might be the ECM and the Hewitt bypass won’t work.

My 13 LC is still at the dealer. They captured the fault with the data logger connected and Tootata Tech said the data wasn't fast enough to glean anything, so they are tying again with different logger settings. Now they can't get the logger to talk to the ECM, but the LC still starts so it looks like they probably damaged the connector. What a fffnightmare! Hewitt still not showing the 2013 kit available. I can't believe I'm the only 13+ LC with the problem.,

Check on a Tundra forum.

My 13 LC is still at the dealer. They captured the fault with the data logger connected and Tootata Tech said the data wasn't fast enough to glean anything, so they are tying again with different logger settings. Now they can't get the logger to talk to the ECM, but the LC still starts so it looks like they probably damaged the connector. What a fffnightmare! Hewitt still not showing the 2013 kit available. I can't believe I'm the only 13+ LC with the problem.,
Were you able to resolve this issue? I'm having a similar issue with my '13. Dealer doesn't know anything and would happily keep replacing everything forever. Looking for ideas...
Edit: I have the Gen 2 SAIS bypass kit installed but still throwing codes every few hundred miles. It was installed when I bought it. Wondering if they didn't install the plates, or if the unit is bad...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom