8x Series V8 Swaps (11 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

To people using the factory intake,
I have a stock lq4/4l80 and I'm running the factory intake with a safari snorkel. I had the chevy air filter indicator and i decided to put it on the intake pipe just to see... After not even a full throttle run i maxed out that gauge, not sure how much vacuum that is but the gm engineers decided that was too much restriction. I haven't disconnected the snorkel yet to see but is anybody else using that little gm indicator?
also i have a brand new toyota filter on it...

To people using the factory intake,
I have a stock lq4/4l80 and I'm running the factory intake with a safari snorkel. I had the chevy air filter indicator and i decided to put it on the intake pipe just to see... After not even a full throttle run i maxed out that gauge, not sure how much vacuum that is but the gm engineers decided that was too much restriction. I haven't disconnected the snorkel yet to see but is anybody else using that little gm indicator?
also i have a brand new toyota filter on it...
I have one of those little vacuum guages too bu haven't installed it, where did you put yours? I have an lq9 with factory intake and snorkel.

Last edited:
Figured it out. Also, A/C kicks on now that it's pressurized.

Last edited:
Well, the gauge can be actuated by sucking on it. I'm not sure how much vacuum it takes but i would guess around 15" Hg. Regardless if they are junk or not, they do indicate that there is a vacuum, so that means there is a pressure drop across that point in the intake tube to the atmosphere. I plan on removing disconnecting the snorkel to see if that makes a difference. Worst case scenario, I do have a universal 4" cone filter to slap on. Oscar white, I have the gauge just before the throttle body.

I have an LQ4 with 4l80e and figured out that the stock intake is not enough. I tried out the 6637 from my powerstroke on it one day and the power increase over 1800 rpm was huge. I put a modified deckplate mod on my intake to help it out. It's still not as good as the huge open filter but is a good balance of power and reliability.
20180809_212231.jpg
I have a snorkel to install on it too so when I go off road I thread the cleanout plug into it so it's sealed up.

Question for you v8 swaps. Anyone running with 6L80E trans? Wondering about fit inside the tunnel...

Some turbo 1fz guys in Australia are running custom airbox and snorkel. Might be an idea for you V8 folks. I'll be going this route when doing my turbo setup.

37192046_10214361573247885_763931492043718656_n.jpg

I have an LQ4 with 4l80e and figured out that the stock intake is not enough. I tried out the 6637 from my powerstroke on it one day and the power increase over 1800 rpm was huge. I put a modified deckplate mod on my intake to help it out. It's still not as good as the huge open filter but is a good balance of power and reliability.View attachment 1764093 I have a snorkel to install on it too so when I go off road I thread the cleanout plug into it so it's sealed up.
Good idea!

Great looking swap! It's so funny to see how small the LS looks in the engine bay and how low it sits considering it is 37% more displacement in 6.2L and much lighter weight. It is the smart swap if you're doing an engine swap.
What is the average cost for the 6.2l engine and installing?

140-160 tranny temps for me about 95% of the time. I hit 195 once last year while wheeling in Death Valley. Very happy with tranny temps.....

Question for you v8 swaps. Anyone running with 6L80E trans? Wondering about fit inside the tunnel...

I run a 6L80E in mine behind a 5.3L It's been 2 years now and it's a great trans. The fit in the tunnel is great. Tons of room. Do your self a favor and plan on building motor mounts. I redrilled my factory crossmember and moved the trans to the passenger side 3/4" and forward 3/4". That was done to center the truck accessory drive between the steering box and frame. The engine /trans offset slightly to the pass. side but parallel to chassis

my solution for coolant bypass valve, micro switch and normally open toyota solenoid ,when you move climate selector to hot micro switch shuts off solenoid and solenoid cuts off vacuum flow

Damn. Pretty impressive.

also solution for cruise control i tested everything and it is working 100 % all i have to do is to wire it properly and hookup OEM cruise selector
and my project is 100 % completed everything is working like it was before swap

Please follow up on this with detail. I was looking at that kit also. Looked like it wasn’t compatible with the pedal I’m using.

also solution for cruise control i tested everything and it is working 100 % all i have to do is to wire it properly and hookup OEM cruise selector
and my project is 100 % completed everything is working like it was before swap

Please follow up on this with detail. I was looking at that kit also. Looked like it wasn’t compatible with the pedal I’m using.

Agree. Let us know how it works out. This is on my radar. Maybe a write-up with OEM cruise stalk pinouts.

you can get it from summit racing for 302 $ if you use (AHV7BX) code that is cheapest one you can find other way it is 327 $ +-

i need to find i believe it is called Bistable Relay because toyota cruise control on/off is momentary signal and dakota digital ECU needs + what can be switched on and off so you can turn ECU on /off i will post when i get correct relay otherway it works perfect
originally i did get rostra cruise control but it did not work properly and customer service was BIG JOKE so i ended up returning that junk back
and if someone gets one OBD II version is the way to go

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom