RTH: needing to buy or borrow a 4:10 diff in the Phoenix area (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

CenTXFJ60

SILVER Star
Threads
I’m on my way home from the Solid Axle Summit in Ouray. Have a work meeting in Phoenix Monday-Wednesday of this week. Planned to drive back to San Antonio after the meeting. Currently have an Auburn LSD in the rear. Has started making some serious grinding and popping noise primarily in reverse. I know just about everything on this cruiser except the LSD. I bought this built axle and installed it last year. Has 6k on it. I’m currently at the Grand Canyon and heading south to Scottsdale this evening. I can risk driving further but if able, would prefer to switch out the rear end. Would also need a place to do it. My cell is 713-805-3962. Thanks a lot. Jim.

Just a thought, @cruiseroutfit is in SLC - he might be able to get you a kit for that mailed out and to you in a couple days. Hoping you find some help.

Just a thought, @cruiseroutfit is in SLC - he might be able to get you a kit for that mailed out and to you in a couple days. Hoping you find some help.

We would be happy to help. We have gears only, full built diffs, etc. We can ship asap but I hope your already en route to your meetings!

Thanks guys. I am in Scottsdale and will be in meetings through Wednesday afternoon. Kurt, do you have complete pumpkins or just the gear sets? I’d prefer a plug and play as I don’t have the ability to do a rebuild. Also, I can use any pumpkin that fits an 60 as I’m highway driving the rest of the way home. My preference as stated above is for a 4:10 as that’s what I’m already running. Strangely enough the truck keeps moving as I just drove down from the Grand Canyon. Going to open the rear cover on Wednesday to see if there’s any obvious issues. What I know is after driving for a while I start getting a grinding/popping noise out of the rear end of the truck. The driveshaft is solid. No play at the u-bolts or flanges. Lifted both tires at my camp site yesterday morning. Spinning the wheels by hand revealed nothing unusual. Grabbing each wheel and moving in and out had about 3/16” (estimated) of play. No play side to side (wheel bearing check). Any thoughts? Again, this has an Auburn LSD which I have limited knowledge on other than everything was newly built 6k ago. Thanks.

Thanks guys. I am in Scottsdale and will be in meetings through Wednesday afternoon. Kurt, do you have complete pumpkins or just the gear sets? I’d prefer a plug and play as I don’t have the ability to do a rebuild. Also, I can use any pumpkin that fits an 60 as I’m highway driving the rest of the way home. My preference as stated above is for a 4:10 as that’s what I’m already running. Strangely enough the truck keeps moving as I just drove down from the Grand Canyon. Going to open the rear cover on Wednesday to see if there’s any obvious issues. What I know is after driving for a while I start getting a grinding/popping noise out of the rear end of the truck. The driveshaft is solid. No play at the u-bolts or flanges. Lifted both tires at my camp site yesterday morning. Spinning the wheels by hand revealed nothing unusual. Grabbing each wheel and moving in and out had about 3/16” (estimated) of play. No play side to side (wheel bearing check). Any thoughts? Again, this has an Auburn LSD which I have limited knowledge on other than everything was newly built 6k ago. Thanks.

Both, 3.7, 4.1, etc. We simply need to know your pinion flange pattern (2 different ones on a 6x).

Could be something related only to the Auburn.

Glad your getting your truck sorted out Jim. Thanks so much to the helpful people associated w/ mud!

Well if you were in Namibia I'd say just swap the front into the rear ...

Not sure if you got this figured out yet, I can not much be much help until this weekend due to work, but if you need somewhere to work on your 60 and can make it to Tucson you can use my garage and tools any time during the week even if I'm at work.

Last edited:
Not sure if you got this figured out yet, I can not much be much help until this weekend due to work, but if you need somewhere to work on your 60 and can make it to Tucson you can use my garage and tools any time during the week even if I'm at work.
Appreciate that Mark. I in contact with ken and Brian (don’t know their MUD names) here in the Scottsdale/Chandler area. They been great and will certainly get some wrenching help. Talking with Dave (@lcwizard ) as well. Trying to source that used pumpkin as a backup :). Hope to sort things out Wednesday evening and then take off for TX.

Cool man hope everything works out for ya.. I assume you will be taking I-10 home, if you have any issues around tucson i live 5 minutes from the interstate.

Well if you were in Namibia I'd say just swap the front into the rear ...
Man I’ve thought about that Fred. Would be a lot of work vs just swapping a new/used third to the rear. So this would be my last resort if it fails on the road and all I have in my truck is gear oil, RTV and my tools :). My hope is to either switch in a used pumpkin or at a minimum have a spare to travel with. My first move is to take off the cover and inspect for anything obvious. If it looks good I’ll add oil with the LSD additive ( equa-torque diff friction modifier) and hit the road (with a spare diff hopefully) if it does not look good the pressure will be on to find a donor. Brian (need your MUD name) texted me today. He’s close to where my meeting is and offered to help me Wednesday evening. Really appreciate this. Also, if anyone has suggestions on what to look for on a LSD that would be great. I know how an open diff looks with spider gears etc. thanks again. Jim

Cool man hope everything works out for ya.. I assume you will be taking I-10 home, if you have any issues around tucson i live 5 minutes from the interstate.
Absolutely. I will be on 10. Appreciate your offer.

Back in TX (still 7 hours from home). All is good with the truck so far. I stopped by Dave’s (@lcwizard ) and he helped me diagnose the issue. Looks like early clutch pad failure on the LSD. You all in the Southwest have a sweet little secret there in Miami AZ. Really cool place Dave has and enjoyed hanging out with him. Took the opportunity to avoid freightvon a new pair of sliders :) since I’m Pulling a trailer. Also a special thanks to Ken (@gearinstalls.com ) for his consultation and direction. Lastly I owe Brian (@bwesty ) a big thanks for connecting me with everyone in the Phoenix area. Good group y’all have there. The the end results is I’m driving it home figuring the worst thing is I’ll end up with an open diff. Thanks again to everyone. Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom