Fluid Replacement FJ40 1977 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I decided to do a fluid replacement whilst I have the transmission hump in the shop for repainting. This is the truck that I bought in pieces from NC.

I managed to get the fluid drain plug out on the transmission and the transfer case. The fill plug is completely gnarled on the transfer case BUT I got the breather nut off with a 27mm socket - phew!

In the process of draining the transmission, the old oil is white, milky and horrible. I've let both the transmission and transfer drain for 1/2 a day or so.

Couple of question and advice.

1. Can I fill up the transmission with new oil, or is there any other flushing of the system I ought to do before refilling with new gear oil?

2. Can I refill the Transfer Case with new gear oil via the breather hole at the top with the correct quantity? I found on the board that the TC without PTO takes 1.8 quarts.

3. Assume the only way to get the stripped fill hole nut on the TC is to weld a nut to it and heat/ice it?

Help appreciated!

Best, Phil.

I don't know about any flushing system but I think you should look into it. Having that color of oil would make me weary. As for the fill plug, I had the same issue. I couldn't get mine off because it was so stripped. I ended up buying a Knipex 8701250 10-in cobra pliers. This tool gets tighter the harder you turn. I think they are on Amazon for $30. It eventually came off and I replaced the plug. You can also try heating the plug. When I completely drained my tc it actually took over 2 quarts of oil. I filled it until oil started oozing out the fill plug then I screwed on the plug. Hope this helps.

Thanks!! I just ordered a set of the magic pliers! Be here Sunday!

Do you happen to know the size of the fill plugs? I think there was talk of them being replaced with Allen wrench style. Did you do that?

Just get a replacement plug from the dealer. Doesn’t have to be hex up high like that, the hex is for drain plugs that scrape on rocks typically. I would say just fill and go.

FWIW - I just replaced all the old drain & fill plugs with new 90341-18021 allen head magnetic plugs on both diffs, transmission and the transfer case. Along with the new allen head plugs, all steel units (diffs & tranny) get steel gaskets (12157-10010) and the aluinum T-case will get the auminum gaskets (90430-A0003).

img_2457-jpg.1650335

Thanks guys, just went down to my local dealership and ordered the parts...easy! I also got the Yankee Toys discount rate. Each plug was 2.44 each and the crush washers just over a buck apiece!

Thanks guys, just went down to my local dealership and ordered the parts...easy! I also got the Yankee Toys discount rate. Each plug was 2.44 each and the crush washers just over a buck apiece!
Lots of folks in the greater Boston area who could help you out with wrenching and advice as you work through tasks on your truck - just post up on the YankeeToys section!

Lots of folks in the greater Boston area who could help you out with wrenching and advice as you work through tasks on your truck - just post up on the YankeeToys section!

What's this YankeeToys section? Where is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom