Grinding sound along with vibration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.lentelconstruction.com
I have a grinding sound along with a vibration on deceleration when over 80 km/hr. Have had a part time kit in since 2007. Had the driveshaft straightened and balanced last week along with new U joints. Any ideas what else it could be? What should I be checking?

Am pulling a trailer from Vancouver to Drumheller, Alberta on Sunday. Crossing my fingers everything holds together.

Crossing my fingers everything holds together
If it were me, instead of crossing my fingers hoping it holds together, I'd be spending time BEFORE i left on this long trip to find out what's causing that grinding noise, or using a different vehicle to tow your trailer. I've found it's alot easier, and far less EXPENSIVE to fix those kind of problems at home. Instead of on the side of the road, or in some strange repair shop charging me 100 bucks an hour labor. YMMV

Was the vibration/noise there before you had the driveshaft and u-joint work done?

Had the same issue recently. It was the front drive shaft, but sounds like you covered that.

My next guess would be wheel bearings...

Hi, Check fluids in transfer case and differentials. Mike

With your 4” lift, you could have problems solved by:

-DC fr driveshaft
-Pinion bearing preload on 3rd member (RR normally) - ‘grrrrrrrr’ -sound on decel/off-throttle
-Pinion angle / method you used to correct it.

That’s just off the top, let alone birfs, spindles/FR wheel bearings worn.

Dry spindle bushing...

I have had it part time since 2007 so it isn't the front . With the travel trailer attached the vibration /noise was actually less. I am wondering if the drive shaft should lengthened since it's better with the rear weighted a bit. Survived crossing the Rockies .still somewhat concerning though .

With your 4” lift, you could have problems solved by:

-DC fr driveshaft
-Pinion bearing preload on 3rd member (RR normally) - ‘grrrrrrrr’ -sound on decel/off-throttle
-Pinion angle / method you used to correct it.

That’s just off the top, let alone birfs, spindles/FR wheel bearings worn.

Definitely not the birfs or wheel bearings. I will have to check the 3rd member.

I have the same thing right now. I think its my driveshaft, at least hoping. New parts everywhere and under 300 miles so far. I had it before ALL new front end parts but it was more faint. Could be driveshaft is in wrong phase or needs new u joints, as i greased it as it was all apart.

@Vanny -

If you want good answers, how about breaking down in detail your drivetrain mods?

I had to read your sig to get the 4” lift that can be a cause of issues, plus it took an answer for you to give up that you PT’d the 4WD/AWD.

Not being salty, just saying unless you list all your mods nobody but you will know ‘em. Just a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom