If I found a non-nav GX 470, is a stereo swap possible? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pyrenees

SILVER Star
Threads
A little background...

I’m on the prowl for a 100-series LC, LX or possibly a GX. Installing an aftermarket stereo in a LC 03+ with nav is utterly impossible and it seems that way for the GX with nav as well. The 2001-2002 LC/LX seem like the simplest models to replace a stereo in.

But what if I found a GX without nav? Is it reasonably not-insane to do it? I’m just talking about throwing a name brand double-DIN headunit in, either with a harness or some splicing, but I am not interested in one of those 10” Chinese android units with questionable firmware.

Thoughts?

Almost all of the DD GPS units are from China, at best. Yes, you can. You can also switch out a Nav model as well. It is more complicated but doable. The guys over on GXOR have had success doing both versions.

It's a lot easier to swap the stereo and speakers on a non-nav GX470. Or so I hear.

Since stereo seems to be a deal breaker on your list definitely get one without Nav and put whatever you want in it. I would also recommend getting one without the Mark Levinson Sound System as well.

Indeed, I first plan to upgrade to a carplay stereo (I have one in my subaru, can’t go back now, haha). If money and time allows, eventually a full aftermarket system with speakers.

Mind letting me know why to avoid the ML? I’ve read that JBL and ML are the two choices and they both have the 2-ohm speakers. Beyond that, not sure of major differences besides wiring pinouts.

Thanks!

Now you know why non-nav sport GXes are called unicorns. Super easy to swap a non-nav.

With all the newer car audio digital signal processors, I would think integration is easy on either nav or non nav. I could be wrong and haven’t actually found out but it’s in my plan to use either an Audison bitOne or bitTen, or a JL Fix. These go in post OEM amp and flatten all the channels allowing you to install your own amp and speakers while providing awesome tuning capabities. Has anyone gone this route yet?

You should check these things out. I have the Audison in my 2013 Acura TL and it’s awesome. It only effects things post OEM amp so the head unit stays the same and the nav and climate should be unaffected.
It says ML on speaker grills and on the faceplate

The 2003 gx470 mark levinson speakers and subwoofer were rattling and sounded horrible. I tried to fix the subwoofer myself with a kit to replace the round foam seal. It doesn’t rattle as much but doesn’t sound clean. Still rattles.

Not happy with how the oem ML speakers have deteriorated in 15 years! I replaced the front door speakers with pioneer ones at a local shop. They had to replace the whole ML casing.

By comparison, the Mark Levinson system on my 2008 LS460 (with a repaired amp) sounds awesome. I’m not an audiophile, but awesome sound. Still original components other than the repaired amp.

So, maybe getting used speakers from a 2008/2009 gx470 might be an option to refresh the sound.

Swap it all. I did Alpine and JL audio and it is super good!

I didn’t write it up but I’m about to do my fiancée’s stereo

I didn’t write it up but I’m about to do my fiancée’s stereo
Any chance you could post the parts list?

My wife just bought an ‘05 GX. She loved my ‘04 LX 470 so much she had to have something similar.

I just started making my list of maintenance, repairs, and upgrades. Upgrading the stereo would be an awesome start.

Aftermarket kits are available for the non-nav models. I have one on my '06 but it came on the car from previous owner. it was a non-nav model. Frankly I prefer the stock nav screen look to that of an aftermarket head unit, they all look and feel juvenile.

My 03 is a nav model. GROM sells a carplay/android auto kit that works with the factory nav models but I have not tried it yet but will soon. Some of those kits come with a new screen, but I don't think the GX one does. For what it is worth, I have one of these kits on my 2017 IS350 and it works pretty well. 100x improvement over the infotainment garbage from the factory.

I think the Metra color matched bezel greatly improves the look of the replacement head units. I originally had a cheap ebay bezel that was black and didn't fit very well. I didn't really like the look, but the functionality was still very nice. I'm completely happy with the new Metra bezel. A subdued head unit without flashy colors or buttons can certainly be had. Having carplay and android auto is a pretty nice improvement for a 15 year old vehicle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom