How and why did you choose your rig for expo? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are 100, 80, 70, 60, 40 series and on and on builds here. Question is, why did you choose your truck as the platform? I've had a 60, 80, 100 etc...and now it's time for a serious build, not a weekend only camp rig but something that can do months away anywhere. I'm going in circles trying to decide what to start with so I thought maybe you all had something to say about why you chose your truck.

It was sitting in my brother's Driveway for a few years like this. So I decided I would get an 80!
2 days later...

A few months later...

Earlier this year...

I know that doesnt help your choice much.. the 80 series is bad on fuel and with bigger tires and no regearing it gets worse. Range on a full tank sucks. But if you have Jerry Cans it will get you by.

I have recently been doing lots of loads into Canada from the US in my 18 wheeler. There are some long gaps in places where you get fuel in Canada. Same in the US, and these are developed countries. If you plan on going anywhere else in the world expect even more issues with range.

Thats where diesel rigs come in handy. Even though a swap or a stock diesel is more $$ usually since they are imported. The range is sweet! I would love to have a Cummins or toyota diesel in my just for the added piece of mind of the range. I hate range Anxiety.

Now I haven't done any long term trips. But when I was in Nicaragua I saw a few foreigners doing trips and one thing you notice is that they make any vehicle work. Lots of them have very minimal equipment. Then you get the bigger Land Rovers and Troopies, and the occasional global expedition vehicle coming through. Those guys carry everything. But it is not always necessary. There was a famous Gwagen owner Named Gunther Holtorf, he went all over the world in his. For decades. He had a super minimalist setup, but very well laid out. Carried spare parts and all that.

Last edited:
Cause it’s what I have. You’ve had all those, have you actually gone for a month anywhere without support in any of them?

B80E2CFE-1A2C-4C9F-B245-7AD6E4C90CD5.jpeg

HZJ 75 TROOPY is probably where to start.

Yeah, FJ81 I think that's really the key, "There are some long gaps in places where you get fuel in Canada. Same in the US, and these are developed countries. If you plan on going anywhere else in the world expect even more issues with range." Getting 12-14 mpg just doesn't cut it. Because of that I have been looking at hdj81s and Troopys, but preparing a 70 series from the US seems a real pain.

My opinion, start with something you like and fit comfortable in. Take it all apart and then build how you want. Diesel, 5 speed, gears, lockers, etc. By then you will know every nut and bolt and feel confident with trail side repairs or at least know how it went together. I did it with a 55 and we travel all over the USA, but still working out problem areas. Fun stuff!

I'm in the use what you have camp too.

If you have to buy just 1 in the USA, and 80 can do basically everything here.

More modern Land Cruisers have more power and comfort.

But if you're building an offroader, the newer and more expensive Cruisers are too nice to take anywhere that threatens the body work.

And, a Domestic Pick up would make a good base for an adventure truck, minus some of the more technical trails. But you'd get power, availability of spares/repairs, and honestly, newer ones have good build quality (at least Ford and GM). Diesel versions easily available.

Real life, none of the diesels get appreciably better mileage since most long haul trucks are loaded to the roof. Long range fuel cells, aux cans are mandatory for planning purposes

Also, tire choices will impact the economy alot. Its the reason you dont see people running huge tires so much in Central and south america. 35 or 37s are considered huuuge over there, except in the actual 4x4 clubs. But for touring around and just general travel 30ish inch tires are plenty big. Also, manual trannies and slower speeds are common on the roads there, none of this running 85mph stuff. So with skinnier more modest tires and light pedal you might increase your range.

A Dodge Ram 1500 Diesel with a manual would be nice but then you run into the modern engine, vs 3rd world fuel abroad. Thats why the 80, 60 or 105 would be badass. Or a patrol, especially in Diesel. But even with the petrol motors, as long as you plan, and stay consious of the range you have.

Last edited:
All that being said, if you have the money, you can fuel up and carry cans or sub tanks! Its just an added expense/chore/necessity.
Here are some shots from Nicaragua last year. The local 4x4 vehicles. Some with deep pockets there.

OI000497.jpg
OI000506.jpg
OI000585.jpg
OI000493.jpg
OI000531.jpg

Couple of you brought up some issues and ideas I've been considering.

Drive what you're comfortable in --that's easy, I've never had a more comfortable travel vehicle than the 100. BUT...only getting an average of 300 miles from 25 gallons of fuel ends that joy often and the 80 is worse.

New diesel trucks--thought a lot about a new Colorado zr2, but all the special treatment makes going abroad ridiculous , ultra low sulfer fuel, special oil, DEF...that's just stupid.

Appreciable difference in fuel economy--On average it seems a similarly situated cruiser gets at least 5mpg better fuel economy from the diesel vs gasser. That's at least an extra 125 miles not even considering second tanks or cans.

Last edited:
I would put the question more : why and how ?
Why , because we wanted to travel overlanding in North Africa .
Initially we went for a old Land Rover 90 , small money to start , but endless repair bills .
So scrap that , and go for the right vehicle, Toyota 78 diesel brand new .
Plenty of volume , super tuff , never had an issue in over 10 years .
As km went by , many upgrades , motor , gearbox , lockers , poproof , interiors , super long range with extra tanks , heating , ECC ECC.
Today very happy for the choice .

Bye Renago

The decision to start building the 80 for expo was not in our case the principal consideration or even a slight justification
at the time of getting the truck.

A couple of things led to us picking-up our cruiser; My time from working at the local dealer when the 80 was still being sold new and my subsequent time in the industry thereafter was really pivotal.

The Land Cruiser lore always continued to grow you might say.

Also perhaps just as decisively, unbeknownst to me, the wife apparently has long-held the view;
the 80 series happens to be one of the most aesthetically pleasing vehicles for her at least in her lifetime and in her view.

I know what she is talking about, I feel that way anytime I see a 911 moving down the road. About the only vehicle which consistently fires my imagination.

Anyway, the truck and devoting an anticipated two years of resources is now our primary focus beyond matters of day-to-day family life. We are again cutting the fat, reducing our expenditures and digging-in. I am taking on a part time job to quicken the pace and spend much of my free time deep in the threads trying to gain some practical knowledge. 12V systems... that’s something I need to unpack. So on and so forth...

We have hunkered down and found a way to our meet our far-flung but mutual aspirations before.

Its just now, we are a little older, we have grown somewhat yet we feel or sense that there is an urgency to it all.

The wife and I both feel and think similar things but perhaps for differing reasons.

Whatever ‘it’ is I am nevertheless at an utter loss at how to describe it in some precise non-ethereal manner.

Its not a romantic or transcendent vision I know that much but it is something more subtle and something entirely more human and I am OK with that. In fact I am thrilled.

An why i like this truck .. No computers straightforward mechanics 1HZ engine H55 gearbox and axles hung on leaf rely stone age but works always and if something brakes i can fix it...

An why i like this truck .. No computers straightforward mechanics 1HZ engine H55 gearbox and axles hung on leaf rely stone age but works always and if something brakes i can fix it...
That's how it works. Perfect pick. Wanna trade for a 60 with a 12HT? LOL! I'd love to have a truck like that!

Swapt my green BJ42 to the HZJ75 as Shrek was a little to extreme on its 40" and a bit cold in the winter... Not funny when things brake but with these old iron you can fix em.. renovated the H55 on shrek...
bj42 023.JPG
IMG_3120.JPG

Reactions: RFB
80, full floating solid axles, disc brakes, 4dr, and generally overbuilt for a SUV. Would be better if mine was a diesel and manual transmission but gotta make-do.

"I hate range anxiety", I never knew what to call it but I think I have it too. I think it's something I've always struggled with through my LC ownership of gassers in the USA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom