Johnny Joints at both ends? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

baldilocks

Battle Ground, WA
GOLD Star
Threads
The poly bushings at the one end of my Metal Tech rear control arms permit A LOT of lateral movement of the arm when the opposite end it disconnected from the vehicle. This was an issue two years ago after running the MT arms for one year. I spoke to MT about the fact that the center sleeve fits very loosely inside the poly bushing and will fall out of the bushing when removed from the vehicle. This is not right but MT refused to acknowledge this and sent me a new set of poly bushings to shut me up.

Two years later and I’m revisiting this as I try to regain some feeling of stability in the rear end of my 80 for over the road travel. Two days ago I called MT again, they listened to what I had to say and then took down my number and said they would get back to me. I have yet to here from them.

So, I did a good bit of research and it seems that using Johnny’s Joints at both ends of a suspension link has been done quite extensively and with much satisfaction. The MT arms alread have a JJ at one end and they have done very well for me. After three years and lots of beating on rock, they are still tight. What I’m thinking here is to cut the poly bushed ends off my MT arms and then use a weld on JJ. These are not cheap but this route would be cheaper than buying all new arms that I know nothing about.

Question: Have you ever run suspension links with Johnny Joints at both ends? What was your experience with this? How much additional vibration/harshness can I expect to feel in the cab?

Yes I have and no problems at all after 25k miles no maintenance at all. Don’t notice any more vibrations over my worn bushings and stock control arms. Really can’t tell.
I got all thumbs up from pirate and some “other” sites too. I appreciate the feed back.

i wonder why they werne't built that way from Metal-tech? most options seem to be poly on both ends, so i wonder if MT just created them that way to add the adjustabilty but still minimize costs...

Where would you buy the JJ’s and would you have a reference link for this modification?

The bushings are limiters for our rear travel and the JJ’s are great options for increase travel.

But at the same time the brackets need to be strengthened.

upload_2018-8-10_6-43-1.png

Metaltech offers the jj’s in land cruiser size, custom made for them from currie. You can buy just the joints and either make your own links or cut your metaltech ones and put the new joints on the bushing end.

I am no fan of poly on suspension, i prefer rubber or heims, but i picked up a set of mt lowers to try out. Raw materials were more money than buying their arms, so it was easy to make a move. Hope i like em.

I’ve been researching JJ sizes and found on Curries site the larger one made for our LCA application with the 1.25” shank but not the smaller 1” shanked JJ for the upper arm.

My original intent was to use a weld on JJ but they don’t make one in the exact size we need but close enough in width that I would consider stepping down to the smaller dia bolt size. Our bolts are absolute over kill.

I will call Currie directly to see what all of the options are and try to find out the part number of the JJ that MT uses on their UCA. I’m not happy with MT and don’t want to buy the JJ’s directly from them even though it would be easiest.

i wonder why they werne't built that way from Metal-tech? most options seem to be poly on both ends, so i wonder if MT just created them that way to add the adjustabilty but still minimize costs...
I think MT put the poly bush at one end in an effort to isolate vibes and road noise from the cab. From what I have read thus isn’t really an issue with the JJ so much. They do have a poly bushing that the ball rides in.

You won't have any issues running JJ's at both ends, go for it.

I recently addressed the very same thing and nuns were going to die

New style rear control arms that will offer better and smoother articulation
I read some posts in that thread that reported experiences that are very different than what I have had with the JJ’s on my MT arms. In fact, I could not find any negative info on the internet (it’s a big big place) about JJ’s.

Currie is a reputable comapany and JJ’s have been around for many years having proven themselves to wheeling nuns all over.

IIRC, your thread was about the joint that can be found in the lower control arms made by SPC? The XAxis joint? It looks like a good joint but the arm only comes in stock length per Mr. Slee.

Basically, a JJ is an enclosed, greasable heim with a poly bush inside that soaks up some vibration. Correct me if I’m wrong.

I read some posts in that thread that reported experiences that are very different than what I have had with the JJ’s on my MT arms. In fact, I could not find any negative info on the internet (it’s a big big place) about JJ’s.

Currie is a reputable comapany and JJ’s have been around for many years having proven themselves to wheeling nuns all over.

IIRC, your thread was about the joint that can be found in the lower control arms made by SPC? The XAxis joint? It looks like a good joint but the arm only comes in stock length per Mr. Slee.

Basically, a JJ is an enclosed, greasable heim with a poly bush inside that soaks up some vibration. Correct me if I’m wrong.

The issue was JJ or the likes on both ends resulting in no bueno according some.

Just got off the horn with Currie. According to them JJ’s at both ends is mucho bueno.

Part numbers for the joints that are made to fit 80 series are:

Lower - 9114-27
Upper - 9113-27 $54.95 each.

Jam nuts:
Upper - 9113BJN
Lower - 9114BJN

Last edited:
I've made a couple sets of arms with the Currie JJs on both ends with no ill effects reported. But, under heavy load the one comment I remember standing out is the rear felt a tad "floaty", but loved the articulation. I only make these as "custom ordered" parts.

I stock the Currie JJs I use for the 80 series (LH and RH thread) as well as repair parts which I've never sold any rebuild parts yet.

@Box Rocket ran my RUCAs and RLCAs for approx. 15K miles and are still in great shape.

After 15k multi-use miles and cleaned up
40227830901_18af3034c7_b.jpg

The inner "donut" as Currie named it is made from a high quality poly-urethane, not all "joints" (Johnny Joint® is trademarked by Currie) are built equal and most internals are MIC, etc.. (made in China or elsewhere) from a harder duro bushing or neoprene to emulate a OE style "rubber" bushing design that results in a not so favorable ending.

Per Currie-- "Unmatched Durability Under The Harshest Conditions – The Johnny Joints installed under our two company Jeep JKs, have conquered the Rubicon trail too many times to count, lead countless trail runs at Moab, have pre-run the full length of the Baja 1000 multiple times, and have covered more than 70,000 miles of highway driving with zero failures or parts replacement – no other high articulation suspension joint on the market comes close to matching the durability of the Johnny Joint!"

Pic is from Currie and have been running JJs on both ends for years.
upload_2018-8-10_12-42-58.png

Jason, is this a drawing of arms you are working toward offering to us?

Is this a teaser or a legit item to come?
I want to ask about those fires near you but maybe you can PM me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom