Builds Steel City Racing: King of the Hammers 2019 Toyota 4Runner IFS 4600 Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just got back from the Dirty Turtle race in KY. We did a pre-run lap in the mud and one qualifying lap. Plus some idle time. less than 8-9 miles total. I burned 7 gals of fuel.

I got about 3 mpg with a 4.3 v-6 in my last car.

You can cut the floor and sink it down to the frame, or between the frame to give you extra room.
I saw the qualifying - crazy how slick the mud was! Looked fun and frustrating at the same time. Hope you did well!

No cutting allowed in 4600! I think I’m going to start with the 22 GAL and test it. If I get close to running out, i’ll Upgrade to the 32 GAL.

The thought of having a tank larger than a F-250’s is a tough one for me. I may live to regret it though!

Watching the recording of the main event as we speak - the woods section looked sick! I bet it was a blast.

Last edited:
But I run treps and they are tough as hell. Also I make an effort not to plow into everything. It does happen , I hit a rock the size of an engine block at speed and broke a wheel but the tire lived.

@matzell @RustyNailJustin & Other Racers:
How many spares do you take to KOH each year? 3, 4, or more?
I have cut one tire each year the last two years of finishing the race. Both times hitting rocks at speed. I blew two Bias Treps in Oklahoma this year on the high speed area. One in PA. Looks like all the tires are holding air after this past weekend.

To answer your question, I like to have one tire at each pit just in case. I normally take 8 tires/wheels total to all races. You might blow one pre-running so do not forget about that.

I have cut one tire each year the last two years of finishing the race. Both times hitting rocks at speed. I blew two Bias Treps in Oklahoma this year on the high speed area. One in PA. Looks like all the tires are holding air after this past weekend.

To answer your question, I like to have one tire at each pit just in case. I normally take 8 tires/wheels total to all races. You might blow one pre-running so do not forget about that.
Perfect - I just put in the order for 8 Wheels and 10 Tires. Your experience confirms this is a good strategy.

I can also pick up more tires if we cut any during prerunning. I figured 4 on, 1 in vehicle, and 1 at each of the 3 pits.

Then 2 extras, tires only, just in case we need to swap any the night before.

We're excited to announce that Cooper Tire and KMC Wheels have signed up to sponsor this King of the Hammers build.

We'll be running 315/70R17 Cooper Discoverer STT Pros:
DiscovererSTTPro_full.png.aspx

These will be mounted on 17" KMC XD222 Enduro Beadlock Wheels:
XD222_17x8_Mach-1000.jpg

With Cooper and KMC both on board, our sponsorship for KOH 2019 is officially full. We'll have more to show on the tires and wheels, and from our other sponsors over the coming months.

Quick Build Update:
- RockSolidToys Rear 4-Link is done and ready to be installed once the front suspension is on
- Currie Rear RockJock 60 is in the middle of being built
- Salvage Doors (4) should be here next week. Evidently they were were stuck in a "rail delay" somewhere between CA and Chicago.
- Salvage Liftgate and Sport Hood will ship out of NY tomorrow.
- Jaz Pro Sport II 22 Gal Fuel cell, Arctec Industries mounts, and Allstar 2.5" filler hose in the mail.
- Still working on Alltec Baffles and plumbing conversion, which I still need to learn a lot about
- AEM Air/Fuel Ratio Gauge, AEM Fuel Pressure Gauge, and URD 170 Deg Thermostat will be installed when URD MAF Calibrator arrives
- PRP Ivan Stewart Pro Seats and Harnesses should be shipped out soon
- Cooper Discoverer STT Pro Tires ordered
- KMC XD222 Enduro Beadlock Wheels will be ordered this week
- ABS (and ATRAC, VSC, and TRAC) Defeat Switch will be finished next week
- Atlas II 3.8 Case and A750F Adapter will likely be ordered next week

The salvage parts arriving next week will literally replace every single removable piece of sheet metal on the 4Runner.

I'm tracking every component of the build in a build-plan and checking things off the list as we go. Still a lot left to do, but having the sponsorship portion of the build completed is a big win!

Cool, you bought a lot of parts. Lets see some actual building. You know the 2019 race is only 5 months away right?

Last edited:
Today I spent time with our team in CA nailing down a high-level timeline for the build that I wanted to share:

Phase I (May to Early-Sept in AL):
- Engine Upgrades
- Fuel System Install
- Strip Interior, Install Seats, Gauges, Electrical, Blue/Amber Lights, etc
- All body modifications (doors, fenders, liftgate, hood)
- Front Suspension, Rear Suspension, Steering, Axles, Front RCVs, Bumpers/Sliders/Skids all being prototyped and tested in CA

--- 4Runner goes to CA in Mid-Sept ---

Phase II (Mid-Sept to Oct in CA):
- Front Suspension and Steering installed
- Front Axle Built and RCVs installed
- Atlas II installed along with cross member built
- Rear Suspension and Rear Axle installed
- Front/Rear Bumpers, Sliders, and Skid Plates installed
- Roll Cage Installed

Phase III (Nov to Dec at JV):
- First round of On-Site testing in JV
- Fix, Revise, Rebuild
- Test, Fix, Test and Test Some More

Phase IV (Jan in CA):
- Vehicle Wrap Installed
- Final Preparations
- Contingency Time for Whatever Surprises Come

Phase I (Feb 4-8 at JV):
- Pre-Run
- Race

Cool, you bought a lot of parts. Lets see some actual building. You know the 2019 race is only 5 months away right?
The timeline above should help. I'm guessing your definition of "actual building" will happen in CA in Mid-September through October.

Our only risk on the timeline are the prototyped parts - and there are a number of them being debuted on this build. So long as they all come through on time and as planned, we're good.

Watching with interest from the other side of the world! I'd love to be able to take on a project like this one day, though we don't quite have the market and sponsorship opportunities down here. Still, a shed build for a proper hard-core offroader is a dream I will continue to harbour.

I have a bit of an affinity with the 4Runners too, I owned a 94 (2nd Gen?) for a couple of years. Sadly they were the last model we got here, they were replaced by the Prado which is also built on the Hilux platform. We certainly never got a V8, though plenty of people put 1uz-fes or LSes in them. The 3L V6 was a pretty lively motor anyway.

I think you'll be happy with the STT Pros - I've got a new set on my 80 (just 33s on 15s) and they bag out quite nicely even at a conservative 15psi. Interested to see how they grip in serious mud... we haven't had a lot of rain here over the winter so it's not something I've had to deal with. Grip in the dry is very good, and they look like they're built Cooper tough.

20180103_174825.jpg

Best of luck with the build, and getting to and through KOH. Keen to see some driveline/suspension goodies soon!

Quick update:
- First, I was wrong! I installed the ABS Kill Switch and drove all this past week - I thought the 4.7L was fast before. With ABS off, it's a whole new beast. We will be running KOH with ABS Off. I still like the switch so I can have ABS on when I drive to CA in mid-Sept, but once it's in CA, it'll be off full time!

- Salvage parts have started to arrive and the remainder should be here this week (Liftgate will be gutted - glass, motors, electrical, etc will be sold):
38658505_401692873687992_336617134111064064_n.jpg

38458686_401692880354658_4733152113079615488_n.jpg

- PRP seats are here. These will be installed on temp brackets as soon as this weekend for the drive to CA and integrated into the roll-cage in CA:
38614720_401662440357702_3934706951040008192_n.jpg

- Fuel cell, mount, filler, pump, filters, Alltech baffles etc will all be here this week and I hope to have rough mounting done this coming weekend. Only thing I lack here is the AN fittings and hoses.

- Master Kill Switch from Painless should also be here this week and installed this coming weekend.

- URD MAF Calibrator will be here on Friday and will be installed this coming weekend along with gauges.

- Cooper STT Pros and KMC Enduro Beadlock wheels have all been received and are stored at Marlin Crawler's shops in CA. I'll hopefully have some pics to post soon.

More to come soon!

JAZ Pro Sport II - 22 Gal race fuel cell just arrived from JEGS:
38682743_402503063606973_2446299233045708800_n.jpg

Slowly running out of space:
38612394_402503076940305_3504646133320253440_n.jpg

Also got the Painless Master Kill Switch, secondary latches, fuel line adapter for AEM AFR Gauge, and a few other odds and ends today:
38693287_402498386940774_5009899357294559232_n.jpg

Quick update:
- First, I was wrong! I installed the ABS Kill Switch and drove all this past week - I thought the 4.7L was fast before. With ABS off, it's a whole new beast. We will be running KOH with ABS Off. I still like the switch so I can have ABS on when I drive to CA in mid-Sept, but once it's in CA, it'll be off full time!

- Salvage parts have started to arrive and the remainder should be here this week (Liftgate will be gutted - glass, motors, electrical, etc will be sold):
38658505_401692873687992_336617134111064064_n.jpg

38458686_401692880354658_4733152113079615488_n.jpg

- PRP seats are here. These will be installed on temp brackets as soon as this weekend for the drive to CA and integrated into the roll-cage in CA:
38614720_401662440357702_3934706951040008192_n.jpg

- Fuel cell, mount, filler, pump, filters, Alltech baffles etc will all be here this week and I hope to have rough mounting done this coming weekend. Only thing I lack here is the AN fittings and hoses.

- Master Kill Switch from Painless should also be here this week and installed this coming weekend.

- URD MAF Calibrator will be here on Friday and will be installed this coming weekend along with gauges.

- Cooper STT Pros and KMC Enduro Beadlock wheels have all been received and are stored at Marlin Crawler's shops in CA. I'll hopefully have some pics to post soon.

More to come soon!
I'm subbed to your IG ect, but let your sponcers know the KMC wheels in my shopping cart, I found on MUD!
Post some pics of them, thanks for the lead and the updates!

More stuff that'll go in this weekend. The big stuff is yet to come in CA, but it'll be good to check a ton of stuff off the list this weekend.

1) AllTech - No2Foam - Baffles (enough for a 24gal cell). Thanks to Chris for sponsorsing this build!
38875592_405401069983839_7500972597903884288_n.jpg

2) Harnesses and angle mounts that we'll take to CA:
38906584_405383986652214_125861959319945216_n.jpg

3) URD MAF Calibrator (to unlock any lost HP):
38846458_404750413382238_6996190803911507968_n.jpg

Doug Thorley Headers and Hi-Flow Cats should be done today.

I'd love to dyno it, but don't have the $'s in the budget. My best guess is the 4.7L will be b/w 350-375 HP by the end of the weekend, but that may be overly optimistic. Headers alone are a 30 HP gain.

After a month of tracking these down (railroad delays, lost shipments, delivered to the wrong address, etc), the 4 salvage doors finally arrived just in time for this weekend!

39004195_405469196643693_4310160360557510656_n.jpg

Well, the guy in CA sent me 3rd gen doors on accident. Nice guy - refunded me on the spot. But it’s back to the drawing board on doors.

Tube doors with sheet metal skins are sounding better and better...

Well, the guy in CA sent me 3rd gen doors on accident. Nice guy - refunded me on the spot. But it’s back to the drawing board on doors.

Tube doors with sheet metal skins are sounding better and better...

Did I miss it somewhere above... is there a particular reason you don't want to use the original doors on the truck? Planning to sell them and make a bit of extra cash over cheap salvage buy-ins?

Seems like a much simpler way to go than messing around with wreckers and freight, but if there's money in it I understand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom