leaking gas from top of tank (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m with all of you now..... the puddle is on the driveway!! Ughhhh

Tank out and yes I have the same crack as everyone else. Amazing how much gas comes out of a such a small crack... Tank looks great after 220K miles (I gave it a bath on the outside--it was covered in Utah dust). The fuel pump sock looks so good I'm not even going to change it...

For those trying this at home, I got the tank out without removing the rear axle--at first it looked hopeless, but after a small game of Tetris it came right out.

Also I left the filler hose and vent hose attached to the tank (removed them from the filler pipe)--I cant see how you'd get to them at the tank end. SLC dealer said both are NLA (were sold together with filler pipe which is NLA), but I find that hard to believe. Mine are in good shape and I'll reuse them.

Tomorrow I will see if the radiator shop can weld a patch over the entire area.

IMG_4032.JPG

IMG_4030.JPG
IMG_4031.JPG
IMG_4029.JPG

Thanks for the removal advice...
As far as the vent & filler hoses... I didnt have any trouble getting the filler & vent hoses here is my parts list.
I will be finally swapping the tank in two days.
20180223_151717.jpg

Screenshot_2018-02-26-11-18-26.png

~~~~~~
4-13-18
Edited later..... got the job done.... I now have a full tank of gas & no leaky leaky.

GW Nugget's Family Haulin Lx450 build

Last edited:
And add me to the group. Topper was some idiot tried screwdrivering my door lock when I took the kids mountain biking yesterday. UGH.

Looking to do some short fills until I can source the parts to do this correctly. Surprised Toyota hasn't had a recall on this.

if anyone needs tanks let me know. i have about 4 good tanks currently and have supplied tanks to several mud members from southern, rust free, trucks.

uch, 1991 - just filled up and it leaked a decent puddle at the fill station, moved it 50 ft to a safe location and no leak. Could it be the same deal? Stay tuned I guess. anyone have a solid tank for a 3fe model 91? Just in case....

uch, 1991 - just filled up and it leaked a decent puddle at the fill station, moved it 50 ft to a safe location and no leak. Could it be the same deal? Stay tuned I guess. anyone have a solid tank for a 3fe model 91? Just in case....

no text in reply BILT4ME, any insight?
Pretty sure all of the tanks for the '91-'97 are the same. If you have rust issues up there, now is the time to consider a new filler neck and skid plate along with all new gaskets and hoses(maybe not the actual hard fuel lines, mine were OK, but for sure all of the rubber bits.)

My tank somehow didn't leak, but the filler neck was like a sieve before I temporarily patched it with a few sticks of JB Weld putty.

I just re-did my whole system a few weeks ago. Prepping and installing a new gas tank, filler neck and skid plate.

Last edited:
Nice that your wrote it up. No leaks today, despite a full tank and spirited (3fe) driving . When it did leak, it leaked clean gas from the middle of the truck, but a smaller puddle of filth/gas mix from near the filler tube, about 6 inches in. The attendant might of overfilled and it presented an issue. Time to start collecting all the parts.

Nice that your wrote it up. No leaks today, despite a full tank and spirited (3fe) driving . When it did leak, it leaked clean gas from the middle of the truck, but a smaller puddle of filth/gas mix from near the filler tube, about 6 inches in. The attendant might of overfilled and it presented an issue. Time to start collecting all the parts.

Chasing this issue too. I drove from seattle to san fran and back this last week. Twice i had gas overflow from the tank to make a sizeable (couple cups) puddle on the ground at the driver rear corner of the truck, but that was out of over 10 fill ups (til the pump clicked).
I'm thinking its actually charcoal canister related? going to try that and see if its clogged or the issue. I'm getting high pressures in the tank when hot out which makes me think the tank isnt venting while filling up and causing a bubble to push out or something funky. No idea where else it cou.

Chasing this issue too. I drove from seattle to san fran and back this last week. Twice i had gas overflow from the tank to make a sizeable (couple cups) puddle on the ground at the driver rear corner of the truck, but that was out of over 10 fill ups (til the pump clicked).
I'm thinking its actually charcoal canister related? going to try that and see if its clogged or the issue. I'm getting high pressures in the tank when hot out which makes me think the tank isnt venting while filling up and causing a bubble to push out or something funky. No idea where else it cou.
It's unlikely you have a leak in the tank or filler neck if it builds pressure in the tank. Mine didn't have the whoosh until I patched the old filler neck and then I discovered I needed a new charcoal can after I did. Everything is just peachy now that all of that stuff has been replaced.

It's unlikely you have a leak in the tank or filler neck if it builds pressure in the tank. Mine didn't have the whoosh until I patched the old filler neck and then I discovered I needed a new charcoal can after I did. Everything is just peachy now that all of that stuff has been replaced.
My same thoughts. If it's building pressure it's not a crack or leak so must be a venting issue causing the overflow.

My same thoughts. If it's building pressure it's not a crack or leak so must be a venting issue causing the overflow.

Mine is also building pressure, related to a clogged check valve in the charcoal canister. The goal is to get this fixed asap as to avoid the cracked tank issue.

Mine is also building pressure, related to a clogged check valve in the charcoal canister. The goal is to get this fixed asap as to avoid the cracked tank issue.
Also what i've heard. Debating trying to take it apart and clean and replace charcoal as some have vs the autozone special.

So, I am not sure on the details of your trip, but I just did some quick math and it looks like if you drove the 1800 or so miles for the round trip from Seattle to San Fran and you bought 250 gallons of gas, you were only getting 7.2 mpg which is really low. Didn't you just rebuild the whole top end of the motor? I get twice that on my rig which I did the same work to. I am not trying to be nosy, I was just thinking you might have something else going on too. :hmm:

So, I am not sure on the details of your trip, but I just did some quick math and it looks like if you drove the 1800 or so miles for the round trip from Seattle to San Fran and you bought 250 gallons of gas, you were only getting 7.2 mpg which is really low. Didn't you just rebuild the whole top end of the motor? I get twice that on my rig which I did the same work to. I am not trying to be nosy, I was just thinking you might have something else going on too. :hmm:

Haha I was filling up with 1/2+ tanks a few times to be on the safe side and was doing a lot of detouring. Without the rooftop tent i was averaging 15-16mpg. With the RTT i was getting 10-14 depending on speed/passes/etc.

Wow, this thread came in really handy today. One of my frequent 80 owner customer came in today complaining of a fuel smell every time he fills up and notices the bottom front side of the tank wet. We dropped the tank and the small crack is identical to all other pics I see here. Mind you it was 109 degrees today and I welded the tank outside. FUN!!

20180807_114135.jpg

20180807_114132.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom