Morrison Jeep Trail Club Run - August 10-12 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
backcountryadventuretime.com
This is it. We’re finally doing it. My personal favorite trail and certainly a bucket list trail if you’ve never done it before.

UPDATES:
Friday night convoy meet at Walmart parking lot. Loaded up and ready to leave at six.

AS PER JOHNNY: Saturday morning departure convoy
I'll be leaving Saturday morning EARLY. Google maps shows 3.5 hour drive (fuel + slower driving let's say 4 hours). I plan on being to the Friday night peoples camp site by no later than 8:30 AM so that means leaving here by 4:30 AM.

For those leaving with me that morning let's be fueled at the Target parking lot on 19th at 4:15 with a roll out time of 4:30 sharp

This is how it will work:

The best way to do this trail is to camp out Friday night at the trail head. We want to get a early start on the switchbacks because there is no shelter from the sun. I will be leaving Friday as soon as possible. It’s about a three hour drive and it maybe dark before I can make it. We have always just camped a little ways down the road. It’s hard to miss someone if there camped out there

Another option is that I drive out on Saturday morning. That’s an early start if the first group expects to make a start up the switchbacks by nine. Which is what I would suggest. Camp out somewhere near the lakes up top on Saturday night and drive out through the Beartooth highway and red lodge. It is an option to drive back on Saturday and head back through the park but that makes for a long day of driving

In the past we have limited the number of open slots to ten because of trail congestion on the switchbacks. Please let us know if you plan to attend and any update to your status.

I will update this first page with the attending/tentative below. All club rules apply. Please have a vehicle in good working condition.

Attending:
@ttFJC walmart friday convoy
@JohnnyOshow22 - early saturday target convoy
@4gotalot - see ya at the trailhead
@Tanaman - meeting us at the trail head
@Black798 - see ya at the trailhead
@Bozotaco - walmart friday convoy
@Rambo Penguin - walmart friday convoy
@TommyGuns - walmart friday convoy
@Saul Abel - early Saturday convoy

One spot left

Important info:

Directions to trail head in Clark, WY:
Find your way to Hwy 310, Bridger Montana, which is your last gas stop so make sure you top off. Out of Bridger you'll turn right on 72 south and follow that for about 30 miles to 292, Edelweiss Haus is at the intersection, where you'll turn right and follow that to the trail head. If you pull past the parking lot you'll see the trail head and then the trail where most folks camp.

Trail Recomendations: 33-inch tires and rock sliders, especially for the longer wheelbase vehicles. 31s probably would do fine on shorter wheelbase vehicles. The rocks that make up this trail are hard on tires. If your stuck on the switchbacks, your cooling system will be tested. I suggest using a-trac or lockers on the loose spots to not dig holes for other users. There are only a couple of spots where clearance is required, however, this trail seems to have a tendency to have rocks constantly changing positions and the truck in front of you may roll a rock into your path that you can either push out of the way or hit something on. Be careful in the water holes as there is one in particular that hides a tailpipe smasher. You absolutely need a working parking brake.

Fuel opportunities: Bridger MT is the last opportunity. Red Lodge, MT or Top of the World, coming from the other side. A full tank should be fine and you should not need gas cans but be mindful that there is no gas in Clark. It is 3 houses and a barn if even that. Edleweiss Haus also does not have gas.

Gps coordinates for the trailhead:
W109 18' 54" N44 50' 45"

Gps track:
GaiaGPS - Morrison Jeep Trail 2016

Forest service maps
Absorka north section 1.pdf
Road #119 & 120 Are the Morrison Jeep Trail

My little guide from my blog
Trail Report – Morrison Jeep Trail – Clark WY.

Previous trips
The Morrison Jeep Trail 2016

Leading up to Morrison Jeep Trail 2017

Morrison Jeep Trail – 2017

Morrison Trail

Morrison Jeep Trail July 30th & 31st

The SOS Report. The Full Story

5D1C1318-3EDB-4412-A7C6-6A9BEFC9404F.jpeg

Last edited:
Yes, I'll be there. I work until 1:00 on Friday and will depart soon after that.

Count me in. I can't leave until later in the day Friday if that's what ends up happening but I have lights for a reason.

Count me in. I can't leave until later in the day Friday if that's what ends up happening but I have lights for a reason.

Shouldn’t be hard to find. There’s a flat spot by the river just down the hill from the outhouse and where everyone parks their trailers

I really want to go but have a schedule conflict so you guys have a great time! Maybe next year.

I would love to come changing engines in the 45, cam crapped in the other one. Cheers, Larry

I would love to come changing engines in the 45, cam crapped in the other one. Cheers, Larry
That’s too bad I’d love to see the 45 in person. Even better on the trail

Next year for sure, disappointed I couldn't make the Goose Lake run maybe later in august Ill head up, spent too long fixing a 40 for a guy in Billings

don't bring a trailer!! lol! switchbacks took us about 1.5-2hrs if I recall correctly

if you do, video it. Then we can compare it to expedition overlands adventure with a trailer on the morrison. Not looking like we're going to be able to make. going to butte that weekend

Last edited:
Trailer + no winch = no go for us. I'm all about pushing it but I know when to put safety first. Can't wait to live vicariously via The Gram!
You don’t have to bring the trailer you could leave it at home ya know :meh:
if you do, video it. Then we can compare it to expedition overlands adventure with a trailer on the morrison. Not looking like we're going to be able to make. going to butte that weekend
aw shucks 40 makes a nice tail gunner

Trailer + no winch = no go for us. I'm all about pushing it but I know when to put safety first. Can't wait to live vicariously via The Gram!
Just leave the trailer!

Also I know last year you guys had 2 seperate groups go up the switch backs because of the ammount of people that went. If that happens again I'd be more than happy to lead one of the groups if no one else wants to

Also I know last year you guys had 2 seperate groups go up the switch backs because of the ammount of people that went. If that happens again I'd be more than happy to lead one of the groups if no one else wants to

I bet you would mr expedition leader sir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom