Clean that AC / Heater Blower (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

My fan was clean of debris. But the blades were filthy with grease and dirt. I ended using some tools from my gun cleaning kit to clean out the blades. Also, while I was in there I reached into the evaporator and cleaned out a bunch of nasty crap in there. Couldn't fit my had too far down, but far enough to get out the junk. And this is after I used the BG Frigi-Clean treatment on the evaporator the night before. I also sprayed some Lysol into the evaporator for good measure.

Imagine a big card in the bicycle spokes. Essentially what mine sounded like. In my 2002 UZJ-100, I removed the glove box door, released the cable keep, put the door on the passenger seat, then I took out my iPhone camera and switched the view to Front to act like my eyes under the dash since my head and body were not cooperating with the position. I located the power plug and easily pushed the release and the connector fell away. I took out my torx and battery operated drill and took out 3 combo torx/flat 1/2" screws. The fan readily dropped out. It looked like a mouse had built a nest as there was a 1" of nesting like material present like cotton candy around the inside of the drum fan. I pulled it out, blew out the few leaves reassembled and it sounds and runs perfectly. So, THANKS for the quick tip. Took about 30 minutes but that's because I couldn't find a decent mirror.

Nice post. Started to hear a noise when my fan was on high a few month back so I haven't used it on high since. Got time today to check it out... Cant believe how dirty it was. Thanks for the pictures and walk through.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

My fan looked like these ones as well. On high speed it would shake the dash. Cleaning the evaporator and fan was one of the best things I've done and would recommend doing asap to anyone buying a cruiser.

OK...did this today. Did not find so much as a leaf in it. A little dusty but that was all.

Every once in awhile...my blower motor would make a squeaking sound on low speed (just for a moment).

So...figured I might as well have a look at it and see if there was any way to oil the motor bushings.

Took me about 30 minutes to get the thing out (I'm WAY too big to be cramming myself between the front seat and dash. Used a flashlight and a mirror to locate the screws. After getting it out and messing with the fan wheel...I determined that it was NOT going to come off without me breaking it.

So....I decided to drill a small inspection hole in it....just large enough to be able to see the motor shaft. Figured I could let drops of oil run down the shaft to the front bushing (no way to access the rear one).

That actually seemed to have worked. So far...no more squeaking/chirping noise on low speed. We will see how it does long term.

80 fan.jpg

Are you guys seeing improved volume of air after the cleanout? I have two 80s, one and LX and the other a Cruiser that are the same years. The LX moves much more air with the blower on, the Cruiser I have to often put on high and the speed settings don't seem to change the volume much.

Are you guys seeing improved volume of air after the cleanout? I have two 80s, one and LX and the other a Cruiser that are the same years. The LX moves much more air with the blower on, the Cruiser I have to often put on high and the speed settings don't seem to change the volume much.

Since there was no debris in my fan or the duct-work....I can't comment on improvements. BUT the 80 series is generally known to have good air velocity at the vents (on high). Mine is excellent.

So...possibly yours might be improved upon with an inspection and cleaning.

IF you can't tell a difference between each speed setting...then likely you have a resistor or controller issue.

You might also check the voltage right at the blower motor as well.

Thanks for the write up! Have had this exact same issue come up in the past few weeks and this solved it 🍻

Reviving old post...anyone have a part number for the blower/motor? I'm assuming these are no longer available as OEM so any tips on good aftermarkets if that's the case?

Try the Classified sections, there's always someone parting out an 80 series.

Reviving old post...anyone have a part number for the blower/motor? I'm assuming these are no longer available as OEM so any tips on good aftermarkets if that's the case?
I’d get a part number and call your dealership. I have been pleasantly surprised a few times by stuff they still had. Can’t hurt to ask.

87103-60140

I just got my LC. One of the things I noticed before purchase was a vibration coming from when the fan was turned up high.

I figured it would be an easy fix (and it was).

Under dash on the passenger side, there is a black fan housing. Remove the 2 Phillips screws.

You can see the the fan now. Un-clip the warning harness, and remove the 3 torx heads.

Prepare for ugliness.

IMG_0109.jpg

Yes, that's an acorn, feathers, and misc other schmutz. The fan didn't want to come off the motor shaft, so I just carefully cleaned with a toothbrush.

Looking back up in the dash, I noticed a good amount of lint, so I took a vacuum to it also.

IMG_0110.jpg

After putting it all back together no fan vibration is noticeable. I wonder if I should take apart the big A/C box next to the blower??? to much trouble?
Sorry but this is not a 5 min job in any shape or fashion on mine, going on over an hour and still can't remove housing. I'm thinking my blower motor housing is a different part number than yours: mine is 445800-093(not sure last digit, but its denso). I've removed the glove box thinking this would easier to do but no luck, cannot remove housing. Any ideas why this appears to be much more in depth job than yours?

IMG_20191123_130538.jpg

IMG_20191123_130555.jpg

Sorry but this is not a 5 min job in any shape or fashion on mine, going on over an hour and still can't remove housing. I'm thinking my blower motor housing is a different part number than yours: mine is 445800-093(not sure last digit, but its denso). I've removed the glove box thinking this would easier to do but no luck, cannot remove housing. Any ideas why this appears to be much more in depth job than yours?

View attachment 2140536

View attachment 2140537

STOP!

You are disassembling the evaporator housing. The blower motor/fan is accessed to the right of that.

Haha, thank you, I have hit the idiot quotient for the day!!

No sir, you're not an idiot, not by a long stretch. It's easy to misinterpret which parts need to be removed when working in that area.

There is a small cover over the fan assembly that needs to come off before you can access the bolts that will allow you to remove the blower motor. It's all tucked up where it is hard to see and not especially easy to get to with the passenger seat in place.

You'll get it done....I'm confident.

No sir, you're not an idiot, not by a long stretch. It's easy to misinterpret which parts need to be removed when working in that area.

There is a small cover over the fan assembly that needs to come off before you can access the bolts that will allow you to remove the blower motor. It's all tucked up where it is hard to see and not especially easy to get to with the passenger seat in place.

You'll get it done....I'm confident.
Thanks I got the debris out but didn't have the time or patience to remove the fan assembly piece. Even with the debris out it still makes a whisking sound. Assume that's part of the territory on the 80 Series? Wonder if an aftermarket motor would cut that noise down?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom