CW 2.0 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I debated bothering with a build thread, but this website is boring lately , and if nothing else , it can serve as my own private personal parts wanted thread, cuz there's one or two things I'm missing.

Nothing too special, your basic extended cab 45ish thing from a ratfucked 40 tub with an as yet undetermined short box. 5' should be easy to get without too much trouble as there's about 4.5' of frame sticking out behind cab as it sits, so I'll probably aim for that.

I flip flopped about doing a stretched 40, because with limited wheelbase it's easier to get it looking proportionally right, and because the "car" plates would still be appropriate.

I still have the tags from my first ever cruiser, the '79 bj40 aka, Crackwhore. hence, cw 2.0...didn't think the pc police would approve of me spelling it out in the thread title...:lol:

As with most of my big decisions , they're preceded by me saying ****it, and just starting. Too much damn bodywork on a stretched tub. So, I may get flagged for an inspection one day for not having commercial plates, but whatever. I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it.

Haven't decided on what to use for a box yet. A 79 series box cut down would be awesome, but they all seem to be $$ and on the wrong coast or continent. So probably just some sort of ute tray with fold down sides. I can put that off for a long time tho. Trying to keep all doors open.

I was going to use two 40 frames to get the wheelbase, but I caved finally and bought a hx73 frame from keith. It's funny that the front two body mounts line up perfectly with the 40 series mounts. Just about 12" too far forward. I fudged that number down to about 7", by planning to move the front axle forward about 5". Still stays in the wheel arch of the frame that way, and every inch forward, is another inch out back to have more tray, and more cab/rear wheel separation. I'll probably use rear 60 springs all around with some flippage to get the extra wheelbase. Maybe something longer still in the rear if the proportions demand.

Anyways. A couple of the pics I have before I head outside to give myself tack weld flash burns. :doh:

Body sitting on there before moving mounts. Frame is mounted on my badass shop cart that could probably carry an entire cruiser. Makes life easy when you can pull it outside with minimal effort to sweep up underneath. Or push it outside under a tree when you're pissed off at it and don't want to look at it for a month or two.
59KS1GhKPul2SycgrVzRkH75qa--EKewP7r7qA61ffoUs2HCxIGq-ib8KaKC4dHvNmQwwzb8fLD85xpaA2DxOGOfQgbcF-bGDhC8n_Xq-ruGDuXwFd5Uuz9-IynrI3qLe-oP7DUkVs1-NVncNpAJw_KnpIkF47z3kqm4vhM71-bKYHLPu9USH8AkY1vg5pO7mfvaRaWD2OamgHX10ShpotaVbk9xypw3zUplQmDf90RTzZXdDsv9GSNYxk5t5iXAfaTwqh9fdZuMwfYktKUZ8S31MjKL00mOSvo9nMeXZzxlbzsXy9msz_svmAA9wDDZnOK2MXmnKiXS2GIyhm4qmkGnq0ULQMnDgKLmm8O7xwrTE7cgT1mRRFGDCRWAtzE7gbWVSbLHIZ5XZoMBWbjf7d8YjVNVuXJJTnJiENITY69DeRDDSDXDm4OxfFrea4k-8-Eb9R-M2pcJeR20Jansm49DVJqxStmwIf2Qa2n8UzO9vpaXduOBopoc3q4iZdFcyPdS9OOM7IMGFZRPalicWPR41I4Z8921ycguxeGcRyf6otuVuAsqjbt2X7Hr97W28mMt-PWJ8O5TynY3oOsNACVBkDu7pxDPpxwvdAo=w1423-h1067-no

Mounts off and clamped square so I can scribe around them in the new location.

VZXMJKHjHgGOvVUHrrfpOuqkV0UOaP56jYAyk4BlSXBO8i1CdMAMFZ8_bIQb-9hrogoS09YIIVgJZ5LQbE-ktVzK8-0_skjmZkXhhxRsV7VWlvSva3ELmwsF_xE60sDGGrCPAQg6ZZVg8D_rnKEmMkDE6c9ug11WY8rgAWTdZ_aFyOI_D_p4B8fZMieSy8vYPMi_9-YoKWKd0NCBO5EHUKsuqBDYTFw6H3j1nr3Paq4bvBGakudqnVQViveIcLFeDQMoxZY0dIaUvNsWlTOgwFdVx-Mb5Jhbq4ysPQmHagtUDpoNrYh7MtlLaJ8lzNIH1_Ysp5luzJABWQsc0x8PpeqjWBdxbN125ZIQ2sNzRt_O4FX3o1DIPLr6m14TLp1yiTDmsPqspboJ3WE6F4CHbAt7puUMX50tThK-PBIoMot5v0p6hDwvacp7TXwlNb56s4X7CP7aE2D7u-gD5DuzuBKb5Jx6zbt-K8Wb7PYZd5B_3ahbZGbTPGLhlCgwPu-o3_LHB3Q9_ygZf0FITnCL39d4DFYuODZUdgi7f4uRNo1uca3dxtRUuT1NdWkyslmVIM1UvW5HY7mI1Hnqvj9r0Zy2cdIncOAqQ5Dfhig=w1423-h1067-no

Hammered out some new floor pans...I know. Shiney new metal. Aren't enough street signs near me to cover this much surface area. :meh:

I'll need to lift it up onto it's back again to do a bit more bracing and welding once I figure out where seat mounts need to go.

VXRbOPuG-vogaTa4Q4Yqz2K9p8rekjkCmhRqQ5Y-DMOkGHnskQP-DSFi2YNcfbXhyg7VpNkoQRuSMJoNrMth97qj2w61CwYgfQY87PVbG_yRC5MWRVHRTL6Qn-K-4XvGmZg9Hxemnin4zXM4PocHT1aO4Hq5oWz-Dmd13K4iOv7osYHYI_OYkUMBLT3zSljCxlfHiD68t0wVjvDbUzzXjVeTj3ENSyLkXSNKz0N8YuIuX02R5uYhT4CdH41j-dbHQbq3jime3Jh0OUExuT_2v8h2NJN-fqnzkgMnljtSNZqjCtfO0ScaOS234gJbD4SUKYW3MHUwajmp38xhSHD2Q2gfyZ9dlnCUOaPbS2XrVAMesBN6Ex4nNTxX_BQp9n9wvQCUvO56hdoO8DyID9sig7UbUQjeEH_l_Hmihbe_tREt_WC3LaL4AG0pcBxXsWDijFmuILE_6LtFAcHk85l3UTVcJSi0nmMhGZ6mKxyFHYRyB7SWxKvV3s0AOXVnrkHwBk11ZE2kWbGZoAqVbjR8-gKmlv4ZAnH1yigFDjMy9DPbShHih3ULsPYMWn23tjcp-c2p9uAhAjhni75afcKQ_OmAOeQeeGw70EtxtEI=w1423-h1067-no

And one corner halfway there. I have some heavy ass aluminum checkerplate corners I can wrap around if these turn out looking like s***, but I figger I'll make an attempt at having them look ok before I resort to that. We'll see.

I'm neither fussy enough or patient enough for real bodywork. Think I'll make something for my press to form some ribs on the rear panel. It's narrow enough to fit through. The hammer method was ok for floor pans, but a tad barbaric.

I almost bought a bead roller, but the cheapness took hold, as it does when you probably only need a tool once and can get by with some barbarism.

p86Lwahzo87S2CcpK8D9Y4G2MGbUcfqkTmZIPxY9gd0X5QQMqrEHvSkHcVR9uuYThAMz6kh2eD6L_U0cVJOpJXDhCXhaO0iZVOZYXl2CFt6bOQ4YJU6BrDvyHEuPTWwnllGaI6wti__eAppDKKh5oI51GUAP5TnjqpH6T-qFGv72U6JLu5KlzqTofl4_j-PU3o2dQ7oHdeXoq-pxkT2BjIPdUwSSqL98OshnqT4fFc8J3g4iyuOtGSzIb849NdDDQiW27tTmBMTrv0AQ5-U9obFD7NQUesWUKiCdmpXRqqjGE2aRjpBxmSPw-mxZD_w2zNH6MXCWf1TSxc1yAhfMUMkijyWN4hCrp7tBrGpNnDPwCqu_XkqSXns8NpOTvQn_TkQbxfGYytb1LApEKft_gjgPvcPXNkiCh1ma8Hkn_xxZ21V9SyHhe7XIWW5j1YuH9XiSuiTMd22xowxEc0VRpcPf0XP_rG-SFKWPh5g-eo4KFGvZ3BFWagGwcoksA5Taqrd57Bgg6M4EJIUyysNStn2w8EZXHaDrn6Wzsog8GLTzsiAftvwtyg_0XQPDNydlLhXLr1JbhnC_W-ksjTQmF10rftS3yVefgoiDuAQ=w1423-h1067-no

Probably the usual drive train. 3b etc. If I can't find a decent 3b maybe something different like a merc or gawd forbid a cummins. We'll see what turns up over the next 6 months, but I have a line on a 3b, so that's where I'll start.

I have a set of 40 axles, but I'd like to find a FF for the ass end. 70 series is probably easiest but no rush. It can live on this cart until I start getting a drivetrain together. Once a diesel is in there I'll probably have to set it down on it's wheels to have some room underneath.

Congratulations!

Excited to see this come along.

I know a guy @IslandStyle who found a dying 45 with the full float axle on one of the islands.

Congratulations!

Excited to see this come along.

I know a guy @IslandStyle who found a dying 45 with the full float axle on one of the islands.

:hmm: 45 axle would work too. Provided it's not bent and half rusted through. They didn't tend to have an easy go of it . :lol:

Should be fun. I'm dead sick of having a shed full of crap. So I figger I'll bolt most of it together into a scabby truck and purge the rest . At the very least it'll make my parts stash more mobile .

Aaaand apparently I'm not doing any welding today because the gas bottle air liquide gave me on Friday is empty.

Guess I'll be paying them a visit tomorrow morning.

Wankers :bang:

Nicely done. I guess it's a lot cooler in the shop at your house than mine!
this box is about 64" long. Is that how long you were thinking?

House Pics CD 1 024.jpg

Ryan, your shop cart is way better than Jon's.

That's an excellent selection of welding fluid...

Y'all can relax. Garbage bin is full of empties.

Just doesn't feel right welding without beer. Good thing it's not my job...:lol:

Yeah, but the alignment between the cab and box would indicate a certain amount of precision, no matter its not my problem anymore.
Precision ? I take something for that...:hillbilly:

and speaking of precision and its absence ...
I debated how to deal with top edge to not end up with something sharp or fugly. I have the mother of all steel slabs on my bench. 2" thick, 10" wide and 4' long. Kinda good when you want to hold something flat. Less good if you need to move it
Worked out pretty well . Panel obviously has some wonk to it from having all those shapes pressed in, but it's getting welded to a solid framework so I can force it flat with some clamps and colorful metaphors

20180724_101406.jpg

20180724_115728.jpg

Cool build. I'm glad you're building on a solid strong 'modern' 70 series frame. I always cringe when I see builds starting on sand blasted pock marked POR soaked 40/60 frames. The 1990+ 70 frames seem pretty rust resistant from what I've seen. I look forward to seeing this come together. Not sure how you can stand working in this heat....your shop must be cool.

Haha yeah it's a catch 22.

I open the doors at both ends of the shop and it stays nice and cool, just becomes a wind tunnel that's hard to weld in .

It is nice to start with a clean frame . Starting a project with an awful job like frame work would probably put you off the whole thing. Like a freakishly bad first date...

Kinda why I dragged my feet for 6 months on this.

I'm impressed... it's coming along really well. And it doesn't look like it's fancy camera angles to make it look good.

It's about time someone started doing something on here.

I'm impressed... it's coming along really well. And it doesn't look like it's fancy camera angles to make it look good.

It's about time someone started doing something on here.

I know right ? Boring as hell around here.

Which is probably how this thread will get for long stretches, but somebody needed to build something.

No doubt it'll look worse with paint on it but I'm not worried. Every 45 cab I've ever seen has been dented to ****, so I'm going for authentic . :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom