Compiled 80 series suspension component spec thread... shocks, coils & more. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Those are quite nice especially with the built in 1" spacer which is what I was looking to do once my bumper+winch is on. King hydrop bumps wont allow you to run spacers. Look to only be for the fronts. Wonder if they'll ever design rear ones. I'll try shooting them a message...

I could be wrong but I remember the King bump stop towers has spacing already corrected so don’t need spacer. It is made for their own bump stop after all and not to retrofit a different one.

If you are going to spend the money for a hydro bump stop then you might want to check out king’s full solution first before trying a piece meal solution because if anything isn’t right then let the finger pointing begin!

I could be wrong but I remember the King bump stop towers has spacing already corrected so don’t need spacer. It is made for their own bump stop after all and not to retrofit a different one.

If you are going to spend the money for a hydro bump stop then you might want to check out king’s full solution first before trying a piece meal solution because if anything isn’t right then let the finger pointing begin!

I'm actually familiar with the King solution, as it was already planned in my list of mods to do. The King bumpstop mounts allow for adjustability for 2-4" lifts. These provide a 1" spacer to the coil, not the bumpstop itself. It looks like you are not able to run a coil spacer on king bump stop due the nature of the design(I could be very wrong). These solve my dilemma of my front end raking when I'll be adding front bumper and winch. Only other way around that would be to run 1" higher lift coils.

Before somebody says I should have picked the right rate springs, I did in anticipation for the bumper and winch install which is up next. But since then I've grown attached to the way it sits w/out the bumper and winch which is about 1" higher than intended lift with the weight.

I'm actually familiar with the King solution, as it was already planned in my list of mods to do. The King bumpstop mounts allow for adjustability for 2-4" lifts. These provide a 1" spacer to the coil, not the bumpstop itself. It looks like you are not able to run a coil spacer on king bump stop due the nature of the design(I could be very wrong). These solve my dilemma of my front end raking when I'll be adding front bumper and winch. Only other way around that would be to run 1" higher lift coils.

Before somebody says I should have picked the right rate springs, I did in anticipation for the bumper and winch install which is up next. But since then I've grown attached to the way it sits w/out the bumper and winch which is about 1" higher than intended lift with the weight.

Got it! And I am pretty sure you won’t be able to run spring spacer given how wide the tower is. However I would venture to suggest to get the right length and rate spring to have ideal setup especially giving how much money you are already spending. no point skimping at this point on something is the foundation of your suspension. Thank goodness there are so many springs to choose from, when I first started 5-6 years ago there were like 2.5 choices...TJM was rather difficult to track down.

Last edited:
this is a specification thread not a troubleshooting thread thank you very much
King / OME / coil spacer vibes issues

I recently picked up a set of King 2.5 resi adjustable shocks for 0-2" lift for my 80 as well as 2.5" caster plates from Wits' End and new OEM bushings for the control arms. I'm on OME medium springs (~ 2.5" lift). I checked measurements compressed and extended compared to my OME Nitrocharger shocks that came with the OME springs, the Kings are about an inch longer compressed and extended. As an experiment I purchased 30MM front and rear spacers from Slee and installed those along with the springs...

While driving around town, I prefer the added height and the shocks are SMOOTH - noticeably smoother than anything I've driven (a handful o 80s). However at highway speeds I was quickly given a physics lesson: the driveline hummed, vibrated on load and deceleration, and the whole thing wandered. It did not consistently track straight as it had before. And I noticed a burned rubber smell when stopped after driving for a while.

I'm about to remove the spacers, will drive it, check for vibes, if they persist remove the front driveshaft for re-balancing. Since it's a DC shaft I thought I had more margin for lift. I suspect the spacers exceeded the range of the caster plates, and possibly the sway bar mounts, and I'm not sure what else...

Should I get an alignment job as well? I'm in the weeds. Out of frustration I'm not thinking clearly so I'm posting here in case anyone has a solution / suggestion within arm's reach or sees a glaring oversight. Thank you

Apologies will remove and post a thread when back at my desk..

I am still waffling on suspension and am back to looking at 50mm kits. I got feedback from 2 guys running the 2.5" taper setup and both seemed to get around 23" front and 25" (!) rear hub to fender measurements. Can that be right?

I am also really interested in @woody 's front patrol coil setup mentioned:

50mm HD front SC50804F (70mm Patrol coil) 160/240 dual rate ~ approx 14 turns
50mm HD rear is a 75mm Int. 7501 coil
(These coils can be ran with the longer potion 28" shocks)

Does this setup use 75mm these shocks all around?
Front AC56511 16.85"/28.17" (Rec BS 1")
Rear AC56512 16.85"/27.42" (Rec BS 1")
@AutoCraft Aus Can you help me out? Thanks!

I am still waffling on suspension and am back to looking at 50mm kits. I got feedback from 2 guys running the 2.5" taper setup and both seemed to get around 23" front and 25" (!) rear hub to fender measurements. Can that be right?

I am also really interested in @woody 's front patrol coil setup mentioned:

50mm HD front SC50804F (70mm Patrol coil) 160/240 dual rate ~ approx 14 turns
50mm HD rear is a 75mm Int. 7501 coil
(These coils can be ran with the longer potion 28" shocks)

Does this setup use 75mm these shocks all around?
@AutoCraft Aus Can you help me out? Thanks!
FWIW, here is my hub-center to fender measurements on my 80 with 75mm HD slinky kit. Of course, overall vehicle weight etc will play a factor in final ride height, but my measurements are about the same as what you're hearing from the ones you've talked to with 50mm kits. My theoretical conclusion is that those rigs are lighter and don't compress the springs as much at ride height as my truck does with some extra weight. These measurements are what I classify as "unloaded" setup for my truck, without extra passengers, tools, fridge, no RTT etc. Added weight that is included in these measurements are Front Bumper/Winch, Sliders, RearBumper with Tire swingout, hilift and 5gal of extra fuel.

Hub Center to bottom edge of fender flare.
Left Front: 24"
Right Front: 24"
Left Rear: 24.25"
Right Rear: 24.5"

I expected the right side of the truck (passenger side US spec) to be a bit lower because of the spare tire on the rear bumper being on that side, but surprisingly the driverside sits 1/4" lower which I assume is likely from the weight of the fuel tank on that side of the truck being heavier than the spare tire.

Those number seem a bit tall... my COHTBOF is 24" +- on all corner including my 1" body lift. (Int. 75mm lift)
Minus the body lift would be approx. 23"

@Box Rocket and @GW Nugget

Thanks for the measurements, guys. I would really like to target a 23.xx " ride height on my rig. It sounds like the difference must be the HD vs the Intermediate coils. My rig is on the lighter side because I don't run drawers, RTT or as many heavy tools as most. So, it sounds like the 75mm Slinky setup might be right for me.

Thanks again for the information.

I agree with @GW Nugget... Measurements from @Box Rocket seem a bit high for a 75mm lift despite being HD since front will prob not carry much more weight than steel bumper and winch, no?

I recently installed 100mm/4" Tough Dog kit designed for more weight(steel armor, winch, drawers, etc. in anticipation for things to come in the next month) and sit at around 24.25"-24.75" on all corners. With weight up with the next set of upgrades I expect that to be around 24"-24.25".

any idea if the icon 2.0 smooth body shocks (0-3" lift) will work with the 50mm slinky coils? correct me if i'm wrong, but i haven't see the differences in specs between the straight up icon spec shock and the slinky-spec icon shock measurements... I'm assuming the icon spec may be limited in down travel ?

any idea if the icon 2.0 smooth body shocks (0-3" lift) will work with the 50mm slinky coils?
AC56509 fit the AC5300 Int. front
AC56511 fit the Patrol HD front coil (see woody's 80)
correct me if i'm wrong, but i haven't see the differences in specs between the straight up icon spec shock and the slinky-spec icon shock measurements.
The only difference in the Icon 2.0 & Slinky spec 2.0 are internal valving
I'm assuming the icon spec may be limited in down travel ?
Again all externals of the 2.0 Icon & AC Slinky spec 2.0 shocks are same.

Reference:
AutoCraft Spec Icon 2.0 IFP SHOCKS
Front AC56509 15.35"/26.17"
Rear AC56510 15.6"/25.67"
(Bump stop recommendation by Dylan)

Last edited:
I agree with @GW Nugget... Measurements from @Box Rocket seem a bit high for a 75mm lift despite being HD since front will prob not carry much more weight than steel bumper and winch, no?

I recently installed 100mm/4" Tough Dog kit designed for more weight(steel armor, winch, drawers, etc. in anticipation for things to come in the next month) and sit at around 24.25"-24.75" on all corners. With weight up with the next set of upgrades I expect that to be around 24"-24.25".

FRONTS:

TDC948/4 -- LH-540 RH-530
TDC948/4H -- LH-540 RH-530

REARS:

TDC949/4 -- LH-515 RH-505
TDC949/4H -- LH-515 RH-505

@GW Nugget
Stock height coils are NLA, The 25mm is a more common item I usually stock.
1" Coils
FRONT:
TDC948SL LH-490 RH-480 (16.5 wire) 10 wraps
REAR:
TDC949SL LH-490 RH-470 (17mm wire) 8.8 wraps

J
Okay, I'll post that info up on page #1

Last edited:

Are you saying I'm making up the numbers? or that it's just taller than you would expect? That's what my truck measured at. This was unloaded measurements. No RTT, no tools, no other gear inside the truck. Just armor, winch etc. that's always on the truck.

Are you saying I'm making up the numbers? or that it's just taller than you would expect? That's what my truck measured at. This was unloaded measurements. No RTT, no tools, no other gear inside the truck. Just armor, winch etc. that's always on the truck.

I trust your measurements are accurate. Just saying it seems a bit higher than expected, unloaded.

You must of been completely gutted your 80 to get that tall...I'm not saying you do not know how to measure...
I'm just saying that I have had the same coils as you (7498/7511) & consider my Lx450 as a light rig without any heavy armour. I looked back & my brand new measurements fresh before they settled down was 23.25" front 23.75" rear COHTBOF center of hub to bottom of flare. I seem to remember that you had the same, I can find it if necessary (its in my build thread). I also want to add that I subtracted all those measurements from actual since I have a 1" body lift, so actual is plus 1 inch. (24.25"/24.75")

I just derailed my own thread...:flush:

Last edited:
Posting here so I can copy it to page #1

20180615_191910.png

I find these to be interesting.
045.jpg

Last edited:
Darren @AutoCraft Aus thank you for sharing the rate of Woody's 80 series 50mm front Patrol coils in this thread post here Slinky Long Travel Suspension Systems of 160/240 lbs.
With such a low COG and tall free height that allows the longer 28" shock, I believe this to be a true little hidden jem.
It seems to be more like a Intermediate coil rather than a HD coil though. To suite lightly loaded 80s, does Slinky offer a true 50mm rear intermediate coil?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom