Rotational sound when accelerating (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
When I'm on the freeway anywhere from 55 to 80 mph when I give some light throttle (transmission stays in overdrive and does not downshift) I can hear a rotational sound almost like something is out of round. It's not a grinding or howling sound. I can definitely hear it and feel it in the accelerator pedal. When I let off the accelerator it goes away and does not make the sound at a steady speed.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the torque converter lock up.
go on Amazon, order some "shutter stop" (2 oz) and see if it goes away.
Temporary fix, but will last for ten or so thousand.

When I'm on the freeway anywhere from 55 to 80 mph when I give some light throttle (transmission stays in overdrive and does not downshift) I can hear a rotational sound almost like something is out of round. It's not a grinding or howling sound. I can definitely hear it and feel it in the accelerator pedal. When I let off the accelerator it goes away and does not make the sound at a steady speed.

Any ideas?

If itsi right at that point between acceleration and deceleration, it could be a rear output bearing on the transfer case.

However, lube your ujoints and slip yokes first.

Just want to be clear on the symptom. The car downshifts in all gears just fine. Only at highway speeds when I give light throttle to mildly accelerate (and therefore not to downshift) does this sound appear.

So maybe it has something to do with the rear output bearing? And how difficult is this to repair?

Thanks guys.

Under those conditions, the torque converter will unlock to aid in the mild acceleration you are asking for. Go out and get it up to cruise speed and then put the gas pedal down more aggressively, it should shift down.

Perhaps the TC is beginning to fail internally making the noise your heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom