Events/Trails 4th Annual 200LCDC Event (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

and put me down for one!

I'm in for a sticker sheet! Great work Matt!

put me down for a steeeekr sheet.

Great job Matt.

I was really hoping the few reserved campsites would have canceled due to the fire. I would much rather take my camper, but don't want to risk driving from camp site to campsite and not finding anything. The closest I found before was 30 miles away.

Well, I can't attend the official event (Work conflict). .... however I have a scouting report for you as I went to Ouray last weekend :)

A+

I did Imogene, departed from Ouray, and even found some nice specimens in the upper camp bird mine tailings pile ... so if your into that bring a rock hammer.

Light rain showers in PM on and off but trail conditions were excellent.

Heavy traffic (to be expected as it was 4th of July week). I was 100% stock except for Yokohama A/T 285s + OEM front coil spacer P/N 43136-60020 ... but don't recommend doing it all stock unless you are experienced (I cut teeth in Ozarks @ 18) and not afraid getting some trail damage.

Only slight trail damage sustained was on front corner and rear corner stock bumpers (picked wrong line through some cobble and shelves) and some very light Colorado PINE stripes which have added some nice character :)

Kids enjoyed a July snowball fight. Remaining snow drifts melting quickly though so don't expect it to be there once you arrive at end of July.

PS: I also ran quick trip from St. Elmo to Pitkin via Hanckock Pass (12,140'). Trail-wise it was very similar trail to Imogene, but less traffic, IMO Imogene scenery was far superior.... but kids enjoyed feeding the chipmunks by hand in St. Elmo so that made Hancock worth while.

---

imogene.jpg

upper_camp_bird.jpg

july_snowball_fight.jpg

I have a question, is additional fuel a must for the trails? or fuel station in Telluride will be easily accessible?

I have fuel jugs but no easy way to secure them outside the vehicle and would prefer to not have to deal with fumes while driving.

I have a question, is additional fuel a must for the trails? or fuel station in Telluride will be easily accessible?

I have fuel jugs but no easy way to secure them outside the vehicle and would prefer to not have to deal with fumes while driving.

You should be fine if full leaving the rendezvous point. I’ll have a Jerry can or two I will bring along full of fuel and whoever needs some we can ciphon it.

If you are full each morning, you’ll have plenty of fuel for each day of trails.

I have wheeled from the Ouray side same trails and never worried about gas. Should be similar from Telluride as they have a gas station there as well

@ethernectar if you have a sticker sheet when I get there on Friday morning I'd like to procure one.

Alternately if all the sticker sheets are gone, I'd be willing to buy one or two of the smaller stickers off someone who doesn't need the whole sheet.

For those of us coming from the east and pulling a trailer, what's the fastest way into Telluride? Google maps says to come south through Denver and take 50 west. Is that best I should I stick to the interstate and head south from Grand Junction?

For those of us coming from the east and pulling a trailer, what's the fastest way into Telluride? Google maps says to come south through Denver and take 50 west. Is that best I should I stick to the interstate and head south from Grand Junction?

I would say that is prob the quickest way (Glendwood) but not the most scenic?

If you want a "prettier" drive, take 285S through Buena Vista (couple decent spots there) OR I70W and go through Leadville HWY 91(another beautiful spot surrounded by 14ers. From Leadville you head south to Buena Vista. I like this route bc you can stop in Leadville, Twin Lakes, and fruther south in Gunnison. The Blue Mesa Reservoir is quite nice. Keep on truckin' west and you can also stop in Montrose. From Montrose you head south on 550 through Ridgeway. South of here is one of the most photographed ranges and home of Ralph Lauren Double RL ranch. Plenty of opportunity for gas/food/cell phone reception. Finally, you can take Last Dollar Rd into Telluride. This road is an easy drive, but affords one the opportunity to see spectacular views, sheep herds, and often cooler temps. This road will also take you into Telluride.

Not sure if you are trying to get the quickest way, or most scenic. According to googlemaps, its not much further (15-20 mins) and I think a much more enjoyable drive than just I70W through the valley. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Will

fastest way fromGoogle maps and Ken Romer :D Take 285 south to Buena Vista. Turn left to stay on 285 S then right on highway 50 to Montrose and from there to Telluride

@linuxgod - footnote from scouting report last week. There are a couple of fires ongoing in the front range which you may encounter traveling from the East to Ouray.

Check Colorado DOT website for closures, and Google Maps listed some of them as well:

CDOT Spring FIRE UPDATE: US 160 and CO 12 to Remain Closed, CO 69 Now Closed —

Road Conditions, Speeds, Travel Times, Traffic Cameras, Live Streaming Traffic Cameras, Road Closures and Road Work Information provided by Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) a branch of Colorado Department of Transportation

US 160/La Veta Pass to Reopen Saturday —

US 160 La Veta CLOSED_ CO 12 CO 69 July 2.png

Not sure if you are trying to get the quickest way, or most scenic. According to googlemaps, its not much further (15-20 mins) and I think a much more enjoyable drive than just I70W through the valley. Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

Quickest if there's a significant difference. Also I'll have a trailer in tow... not that I'm afraid to haul it around switchback or at high elevations (we too the Beartooth Highway into Yellowstone) but flat-ish and straight-ish is a LOT faster than winding with elevation changes. We're leaving at noon on Wednesday so I'll be getting into Telluride I suspect around 8pm Thursday. If I could shave an hour or more off the trip I'd do it.

For 15 minutes I'd take the prettier drive.

Quickest if there's a significant difference. Also I'll have a trailer in tow... not that I'm afraid to haul it around switchback or at high elevations (we too the Beartooth Highway into Yellowstone) but flat-ish and straight-ish is a LOT faster than winding with elevation changes. We're leaving at noon on Wednesday so I'll be getting into Telluride I suspect around 8pm Thursday. If I could shave an hour or more off the trip I'd do it.

For 15 minutes I'd take the prettier drive.

I think you are fine on the route south of Leadville- not any crazy mtn passes except Monarch. Last Dollar Rd is easily doable with a trailer.

Safe travels!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom