The Fishing Thread (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Man, I'm a lazy saltwater fishing person. I use either shrimp, cut bait, or finger mullet. I lob it out, and wait for something to take it. Then again, I usually end up catchin small sharks, rays, an occasional whiting, spot, trout, or red drum.

All those things you gotta keep casting out and reeling in is too much like work for me ;)

Well most of this will be for the kayak around the sound, I like to use a lot of cutbait though mostly if I can catch and cut fresh I’ll do that.

We’re going to be fishing for sharks and hoping maybe get a red or trout something to cook.

early this year my daughter caught her first sturgeon all on her own .
20171221_163919.jpg

Well most of this will be for the kayak around the sound, I like to use a lot of cutbait though mostly if I can catch and cut fresh I’ll do that.

We’re going to be fishing for sharks and hoping maybe get a red or trout something to cook.

DOA artificial shrimp used to get me a lot of inshore species back when i lived in FL. Also worked well when we fished at sunset beach a few years ago on the intercoastal.

For yak fishing, just put a live shrimp on a shrimp hook, or a finger mullet/minnow , and a weighted float, and just let it drift with the current. Depending on water depth, Id put the float about 18-36 inches above the hook. Id have one or two of those off the rear rod holders, and fish with something else off the bow(either live or artificial). 3 rods on a yak is major work.

Last edited:
Yeah, get some DOA, or comparable, 3" and 4" shrimp in assorted colors. They'll have hooks and internal weights in the pack. Root Beer, clear and sparkle clear have always worked for me. The Gulp stuff is weird and starts drying out as soon as you break the seal. But it does work...just don't plan on storing an $$$ open pack. I'm not imagining too many sharks being interested in a single fake shrimp but trout and everything else are a different story.

Well I’m taking those to use out in the kayak for one of the days no intention on the shrimp on the shark rod but hey you never know! Lol

Shark rod will be squid and cut bait with 6/0-10/0 hooks small rod will be some lures in the surf just cuz or smaller bits of squid.

I’ll order some doa shrimp tonight I was thinking about the fact the gulps would dry out just wanted to try them since I heard so much good stuff about them.

@stevezero ive got a poping cork I want to try and i I do the same thing with the bobber sometimes even with a heavy weight

Last edited:
Inshore, let the bait be as natural as possible. if you put too much weight on, youll grab bottom and get hung up. small crabs with a circle hook work great too.

And if you catch small fish, hook them and toss them out on your larger rod.

I didn't even know this thread existed until just now! Just got back from an annual trip to Hatteras. Had two offshore trips... First was with all of my buddies and second was with family. First time my wife had ever done any offshore fishing and of course she reeled in a nice sail fish for her very first catch! We didn't do too bad on the dolphin either hah
64D746E6-7DFF-47F6-A169-5E94C60D0963.jpeg
C226E768-D67F-4908-B4FB-DE79B7FF24A3.jpeg

15834BE7-4D7C-4DB4-9055-C91CCDFA80F1.jpeg

How far out did you have to run to get those huge catches. Congrats to your wife on outfishing you ;)

Nice!! Bi-Op-Sea is the charter boat we did out of Oregon Inlet. Similar results with tuna and mahi. Hatteras is really next level. The morehead city charter I did wasn’t even in the same league.

Thanks guys! It was a blast even though my wife had most of the luck that day. We were so busy, I was helping the mate keep ice in the box while he was rigging and I tossed one or two of my own in the box because everyone else had a fish on at the same time! I love it when it's purely chaotic like that

@fj40z - probably one of the better days I've had offshore thats for sure!
@stevezero - I want to say we were something like 20 miles out. We found most of our dolphin right on the edge of of blue and green water. We found a beautiful spot and just followed it for quite some time. We use that same boat every single year and Jim is an awesome captain. One of the first to leave the marina, always the last back, and he's not afraid to waste a lot of fuel to get you way out there
@JohnVee - My wife thinks offshore is a blast now...she also thinks that you always catch a sail and have that much luck with the mahi lol
@jamesurq - haven't taken a charter out of OE yet. Seems like there is a lot more big tuna caught out of there. We usually luck out if we get a blackfin or two. We're doing really well if we get more than 4

I"m looking to get a small/lightweight rod/reel combo for kayak fishing. The Ugly Stick has served me well, but it's time to get something a little smoother/higher quality. Trying not to spend more than about $100-150 or so.

Any suggestions?

That's a nice haul of gaffer 'fins there. I really need to run out of Hatteras sometime. Such a shorter ride to bluewater, but the connections I have are all in MHC.

I"m looking to get a small/lightweight rod/reel combo for kayak fishing. The Ugly Stick has served me well, but it's time to get something a little smoother/higher quality. Trying not to spend more than about $100-150 or so.

Any suggestions?

I’ve heard good things about kastking reels that’s the route I’m going 40-50$ a reel then get a good rod I’ve seen some nice St Croix rods come up on sale at dicks a few weeks ago for 20% off.

Thanks buddy. Grabbed a Kastking 2000 ($22) and a St. Croix Triumph Ultra Light ($79) right at my $100 limit..... If they suck it's your fault. ;)

So its game on against my $22 combo :p

But i still need to find a rod for the pflueger i was enabled into :)
Thinking med or med light for that one.

Had to change something. Last 3 times out have been terrible.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom