Oil leak at the bell housing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I bought a new 2018 Landcruiser. It had no test miles at all. When I got it home I noticed a drip at the very bottom of the bell housing, right where a notch is, where the transmission bolts to the engine. I cleaned it up, checked a couple of days later, and there was more oil hanging from the spot. I have read about rear main seal issues with 5.7 Tundras and wondered if anyone has experienced this kind of leak in LC's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just hate the thought of having a dealer pull the transmission on a car with only 16 miles on it. Thank you.

What color is the oil? Let us know what the dealer says. Those of us with '16+ 8 speeds are very interested.

I hope I don't run into this when mine arrives at the dealer in a couple weeks.

Can’t say I’ve even looked at my ‘16 yet. Let us know what they say. I’ll have to check mine out this weekend.

The dealer confirmed a rear main seal oil leak. The truck has been in the shop for 3 days so far while they pull the transmission to determine the fix. The dealer has been sympathetic and provided a loaner. I can't help but be concerned about this going forward. Thank you.

Hmmm.........I think if it's the rear main seal, that's the first leak in the 200 series 5.7 on MUD? Gotta wonder.......did the dealer disassemble to confirm, or did they diagnose based on experience with the Tundra 5.7. Either way, weird to have any leak new. What dealer is doing the work?

I received a call from the dealer last night. They confirmed that the oil pan had a pinhole in it from the factory. They now are going to remove the engine to replace the pan. To Sandroad's question, this was based on pulling the transmission and using a dye.

The dealer has really stepped up, and I'm grateful. They are refunding my full price, allowing me to use that value towards a different Toyota. As a result, I have the Toyota mat from Australia, still in the unopened shipping box, for those who have removed the rear seat. I'll give it to anyone in the Seattle area, if they come pick it up. Thank you.

What dealer did you buy from? Just curious since I'm in the Chicago area and I've had mixed dealer luck

I'm not sure why my location shows as Illinois. I must have set it up wrong. I live in Washington State, in a suburb near Seattle. Thank you.

I'm not sure why my location shows as Illinois. I must have set it up wrong. I live in Washington State, in a suburb near Seattle. Thank you.

Good to hear the dealership went batting for you.

Mind sharing which dealership name? I live on the eastside, and have always wondered the difference between Toyota Seattle and Toyota Bellevue.

It was Michael's Toyota of Bellevue. I can't express my gratitude enough. They went well beyond expectations.

Great news. That's Toyota on their Japanese made trucks, the reason why I bought wife a new GX460 and myself a CPO LX570 without a care in the world.

Bummer you had the failure, but kudos to the dealer and Toyota for their response. I wish I had a dealer like that anywhere near me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom