Builds Project Code Name "ASAP Flaps" (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone!

Some of you may or may not have seen my teasers about a new product for the 100 series platform. I'm really excited about this and wanted to debut it before heading to Hundreds in the Hills as I plan to give away two beta kits. This has been an over 6 month endeavor to get to this point with hundreds of hurdles along the way.

So here they are!

A89tPav.jpg

3RhGMGT.jpg

MhibBrQ.jpg

e9R2JsC.jpg

tPZqFQR.jpg

8jwdIYu.jpg

kZBYcsa.jpg

syUXwbZ.jpg

hHX5b1W.jpg

ACjZLc8.jpg

AvEto6Q.jpg

What are ASAP Flaps? Well, in short they are a very high quality, practically indestructible, polyurethane mud flap that can be easily removed and replaced.

Why would I remove my mud flaps? As many of you know, mud flaps can be bad news for any off road vehicle and especially the 100 series. If doing any sort of serious offroading, the flap can become trapped between the tire and obstacle and potentially rip off your bumper.

Why not just completely removed my mud flaps? There a number of reasons why you should want mud flaps and maybe some I haven't thought of:

1. Keep your vehicle cleaner when driving in inclement weather or muddy roads and prevent things like fresh tar from getting on your paint.

2. Keep from breaking other people's windshield, especially when traversing dirt/rocky roads as a group.
  3. Some states require mud flaps
  4. Prevent damage to your trailer from rocks, dirt, tar, etc.

5. And most importantly to help give your Land Cruiser that safari look.
How's it work? The polyurethane flaps are precisely cut and designed with an integrated handle and keyhole design to allow quick removal. The laser cut all stainless steel brackets ensures a secure fit to your vehicle. The front brackets were designed to not interfere with larger tires and actually helps hold back the inner fender well over the infamous pinch weld. The nylon washers were specially chosen to break away to prevent damage to the body in the event you forgot the flap on and pinch it between a rock and tire. The design is such that before you finish airing down one tire, you can have all 4 flaps removed and the same with re-installation.

What's included? Every kit comes with 4 urethane flaps, all stainless brackets, all corrosion resistant hardware (mixture of stainless and black oxide coatings), and a waterproof canvas bag for storage of the flaps when off. The bag also doubles to store air-down accessories.

Will they fit my vehicle? Yes and maybe no. They will fit all fronts unless major modifications have been made to the body plastic (not the fender well or pinch weld). The rear will fit if running the stock bumper. To-date, I have only had the opportunity to test on the dissent aftermarket rear bumper and they fit. I have tested them with (295/70/18 or 34.26”x11.62”x18) with no rubbing. I will hopefully have more variables worked out as people test them.

How much will they cost? I'm currently having a hard time finding a suitable vendor for the polyurethane. I'm working with my current vendor to hopefully up the quality a bit to meet my standards. The polyurethane is a large portion of the cost so until I know for sure, it's hard to say what the final price will be.

How hard are they to install? I would say its a 1 hour, 1 banana job. The LX requires a but more work in the front which includes temporary removal of the front plastic fascia piece just behind the wheel.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I imagine there will be lots of questions and I plan to edit this post and answer them here as I go. I will be at HIH with limited service as of tomorrow morning though, but will get to the questions asap.

I'm not taking orders, as when they are in stock, they will be first come first serve.

Let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:
Nice! Will you have logo options?

Nice! Will you have logo options?

Possibly! I considered printing it laser etching the logos, but I know some people don't like having company logos on things. For that reason, I settled on the highest quality vinyl transfer I could find so it could be customized or peeled off. Id like people to keep the logo on to help spread the word, but don't want to enforce it. Im still considering a small upfee for a custom logo similar to the "Land cruiser" you see on my white LX in the photos.

Also, the glossy nature of the polyurethane should diminish over time as they get abrased/exposed to the sun. I'm not a fan of glossy flaps, but it's really the only option for what I would call a lifetime flap opposed to matte rubber which would wear down or tear relatively quickly.

If you see just the front flaps, I like to know the price on those two.

An elegant solution as always @Ramathorn15! And since they work with the dissent rear I'll have no excuse not to...

Is pricing available? My factory mud flaps took a beating at HIH so I'm starting to look for replacements.

This is a cool idea- Ive been trying to figure out a flap that I can use with my BIOR rear bumper- I see you did one on Ben's bumper; how will these attach to aftermarket bumpers?

Is pricing available? My factory mud flaps took a beating at HIH so I'm starting to look for replacements.

I can't say for sure right now because I'm having difficulty with my polyurethane supplier. They are struggling to meet my standards so I may have to start looking elsewhere which may cause price to change significantly. I can say almost certainly they will be less than $250 for the kit which includes the waterproof bag, 4 flaps, and there's a total of 8 stainless brackets needed, and all the stainless/zink hardware. It's not cheap, but I'm designing these to last a lifetime much like our cruisers. I could use rubber and the cost would be significantly less, but the overall product quality would be drastically worse.

This is a cool idea- Ive been trying to figure out a flap that I can use with my BIOR rear bumper- I see you did one on Ben's bumper; how will these attach to aftermarket bumpers?

That's one of the issues I haven't been able to entirely settle yet. If you look at the photos of the rear bracketry with the stock bumper, you can see the 3 screws with the washers. Those 3 screws are screwed into the body, and not the bumper. If you can attach that smaller hockey stick looking bracket to the 3 holes with the bior bumper, it may work.

That's one of the issues I haven't been able to entirely settle yet. If you look at the photos of the rear bracketry with the stock bumper, you can see the 3 screws with the washers. Those 3 screws are screwed into the body, and not the bumper. If you can attach that smaller hockey stick looking bracket to the 3 holes with the bior bumper, it may work.

Im thinking of some spacers under your screw caps to offset the gap between the body and the BIOR bumper wing.

Im thinking of some spacers under your screw caps to offset the gap between the body and the BIOR bumper wing.

How big of a gap is there? Spacers might make the mount weaker and put the body at risk, but as long as you never risk ripping them off by leaving them on in a off road reverse situation, you shouldn't have issues.

@Ramathorn15 Thanks for the information on pricing - I can respect the challenges you're facing as a small business owner trying to make this happen. Just wanted to make sure I didn't overlook the pricing info in this thread or on your website.

Really cool idea. I've wondered about my lack of mudflaps with the sliders and now rear bumper.

Any shots of them on a rig with the full rig in shot? Front 45 and rear 45 would be great.

I'm also keen to seen exactly how they attach. A quick video would be awesome.

Nice work!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom