Cheap LC Dilemma (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
How do we justify spending big $$$ on sliders, bumpers, and racks when the rig only cost us $?

In May I purchased a 1998 LC with 336k miles for $3,800. No rust. It’s in terrific shape. I’d drive it anywhere. I’ve put some new bits into it, starter, radiator and hoses, valve cover and plug gaskets, new OEM shocks and suspension bushings, fluids and tires to name a few. All in, I’ve spent around $5,500.
Here’s the dilemma, how do I outfit my truck without spending more than the truck’s worth?
Now that I’ve baselined the truck it’s time for the fun stuff, sliders, bumpers, and a rack, but I’m finding it hard to justify spending that kind of money. I live in Central IL and I’m probably one of about three 100s within 100 miles, so I ride with the Jeep crowd. Used LC parts are non-existent.
This is simply a topic of conversation as 100s get cheaper. I’ll most likely wait and find things on sale or even fabricate a few items myself. I was simply wondering what people here think about spending big $$$ on $ Land Cruisers.
20A3728B-9849-451D-A5F1-67359D877232.jpeg

Here’s the dilemma, how do I outfit my truck without spending more than the truck’s worth?

You dont....... so stop worrying about it and Mod the 100 to your needs/ tastes

What do you need for a capable, cheap 100 series?

1. OME Rear Springs
  2. Index, adjust Torsion Bars
  3. Larger tires - Buy quality tires...BFG, Toyo, Nitto, etc
  4. Skid Plates - TJM has great ones at a fantastic cost
  5. Rock Sliders, again, few great options out there.
  6. If you don't want to sink thousands into bumpers, you can trim it to increase angles . I did this on the OEM bumper, looked great and worked great!
  7. NATO Pintle Hitch that utilizes the factory rear frame holes (not sure of tow ratings)
It's not hard to make a 100 super capable.

you could always purchase a 2018 series 200 or LX570 brand spanking new,then the bumpers and sliders and stuff would be cheap in comparison. "Grin and wink"

How do we justify spending big $$$ on sliders, bumpers, and racks when the rig only cost us $?

I guess I'm having a hard time seeing a 'dilemma' unless you bought the vehicle thinking you could appreciably increase its value.

IF you intend to keep the vehicle for some time and desire the aftermarket items you cited, buy them, put them on and enjoy your vehicle. The fact that you paid a modest sum for the base vehicle is a plus.....not a minus.

So...the only 'dilemma' I can imagine ... is that you are trying to see a high mileage, 20 yr. old vehicle as an 'asset'. It isn't. It's a good solid, fun vehicle.

Again, if you bought it thinking you would rig it out....keep it for awhile and then recoup your money later, then you chose poorly.

I guess I'm having a hard time seeing a 'dilemma'...

Good point.
Conundrum is probably a better word. Like most of you, this is a hobby for me. I like to take the family out for the weekend to camp, play, and explore. My GX470 before this was bone stock, but as a primary vehicle it was too precious to beat on. I bought the LC to be a replacement weekend toy, but am now finding it hard to justify the $$$. I wish there were cheaper alternatives near me. Like I said, the used market for parts around here is non-existent. Jeep guys here are clueless. One guy thought I was driving a Highlander.
Do I need sliders, bumpers, rack, etc to have fun? No, but they’re mighty cool. :)
I’ve spent some time and money in the cycling world. I’d find it ridiculous to spend thousands on upgrades on a well used, but still capable used bicycle that, lets face it, is used merely as passionate hobby. In some ways, I think this is the same situation.
Spend $5,000 on a $5,000 truck? Pros and cons each way, I get that.
Thanks for the comments guys.

If you bought as an investment, then you should probably flip it unmodded because you got it for such a good price that you can make a killing on it. If you bought it to use it and modify it, I would try to look at it as a total outlay (say, "I want to spend around $15K on it, no more") and then stick to modifications that meet your budget. No matter how you look at it, you have an amazingly capable, comfortable, durable vehicle that even if you mod it, will cost you a fraction of what a new vehicle would.

I've been a Cruiserhead my whole life and when confronted by people who don't understand the hobby/lifestyle, I usually point out that I don't give a s*** about the mileage (if I did, I'd drive something way different) and that the enjoyment I get from driving and wheeling this trucks VASTLY outweigh the cost of buying/modifying/maintaining. I don't care how much the Land Cruiser is "worth" on the market, it's what it's worth to me.

Cheers and enjoy your great find, I bought a second '99 UZJ100 earlier this year and I paid a LOT more than you did! :) #jealous

One last thing; like many of us, I watch the 100 series market (across the US but especially here in Texas) pretty closely and I'm not seeing them get cheaper, unless they are very high-miled and/or chewed up. If anything, I'm seeing the price of nicely maintained, relatively-low-mile examples go UP!

I recognize my cheap 100 is not a financial investment, especially now with 300k miles and some rust starting. It is an investment in the comfort, safety and enjoyment of loved ones when traveling in the backcountry. It's hard to put a price on that so I continue with mods and maintenance that keeps the Cruiser in good shape for its intended purpose.

Meh... if you are worried about resale... keep all stock parts... take aftermarket off when you want to sell and put stock parts back on. Sell aftermarket parts seperately.

1. OME Rear Springs
  6. If you don't want to sink thousands into bumpers, you can trim it to increase angles . I did this on the OEM bumper, looked great and worked great!
  7. NATO Pintle Hitch that utilizes the factory rear frame holes (not sure of tow ratings)

Are the TJM skid plates any good??? they seem really thin

[QUOTE="roemer7, post: 11775012, Like most of you, this is a hobby for me. I like to take the family out for the weekend to camp, play, and explore.
Do I need sliders, bumpers, rack, etc to have fun? No, but they’re mighty cool. :)
[/QUOTE]

Well.....family time and fun puts a new slant on it.

Only YOU can decide what spending time with your family and making memories... is worth to you. But I can tell you this, you only get one shot at it.

I would first spend my money base-lining the vehicle to make sure it is road/trip worthy. Then accessorize it only as 'needed' and not so much for the 'cool' factor.

So...if you bought it as toy for yourself...then yes, there should be a high end to what you spend on it.

But if the vehicle is to be transportation for the family on outings...then every penny you spend is an investment in their enjoyment and your relationships. In which case you shouldn't even blink.

One last thing; like many of us, I watch the 100 series market (across the US but especially here in Texas) pretty closely and I'm not seeing them get cheaper, unless they are very high-miled and/or chewed up. If anything, I'm seeing the price of nicely maintained, relatively-low-mile examples go UP!

^^^^^^ Agree completely. For awhile 80 series prices were climbing and 100 series falling. Now (and for awhile) 100 series prices have certainly stabilized and the better ones (low mileage or exceptional condition) are starting to fetch much better sums.

1. OME Rear Springs
link to the cheap TJM skids?

I have actually had similar thoughts recently. I purchased a pristine LS460 a few months ago thinking I would keep it for a long time. Then I bought a 2000 land cruiser with 214k miles for pretty cheap. Everytime I drive somewhere I gravitate to the land cruiser.... I haven’t driven the LS460 in a while so now I decided to sell it.

I told my wife that everything I buy for the land cruiser will be used or a great deal. I am hoping to keep this truck including accessories under $10k... that’s my goal. Hoping this includes roof rack, rock warrior wheels, and sliders. Good luck with the build!

You can buy a jeep and spend $500 for front, slides, rear armor. I will agree that its an expensive hobby owning an LC. The way to keep cost down is to MOD as needed.

Start with tires, they'll get you pretty far. Check out some of my youtube videos, im all stock except for tires. Just watch your lines if you dont have sliders and go slow!!

Good point.
Conundrum is probably a better word. Like most of you, this is a hobby for me. I like to take the family out for the weekend to camp, play, and explore. My GX470 before this was bone stock, but as a primary vehicle it was too precious to beat on. I bought the LC to be a replacement weekend toy, but am now finding it hard to justify the $$$. I wish there were cheaper alternatives near me. Like I said, the used market for parts around here is non-existent. Jeep guys here are clueless. One guy thought I was driving a Highlander.
I’ve spent some time and money in the cycling world. I’d find it ridiculous to spend thousands on upgrades on a well used, but still capable used bicycle that, lets face it, is used merely as passionate hobby. In some ways, I think this is the same situation.
Spend $5,000 on a $5,000 truck? Pros and cons each way, I get that.
Thanks for the comments guys.
Part of the hobby is to spend time searching for fair priced enhancements to said vehicle. If you paid $5k and put another say $6-$8k, enjoyed it for a few years and if you decide to sell a well cared for, reasonably modified TLC for say $6500.00 then look at all the entertainment, adventures, memories you created in a few yrs for essentially short doe in the big picture. Live a little, you can't take it with you as they say:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom