Rear brake rotor upgrade? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So bought a used 2016 200 series about six weeks ago. I have put 6k miles on it with a cross country drive from Maine to SoCal. Took it in for service at the end of the trip and the Cali dealer said I need new rear rotors and pads. It has 50k miles on it now, does it seem normal to need new brake rotors at 50k? Is their an aftermarket upgrade out there I can do that will be better than a factory brake job which will cost $600.

Nik

Just upgraded to DBA rotors and pads on my 13 which has 55k miles. Your fronts should wear faster than rears though which is odd. Only been a day but definite improvement.

I was surprised as well. The dealership says the fronts have lots of wear left in them. I had Tacoma before this 115k and never had to replace any of the brake components.

Service history on my '15 shows both rear rotors and pads were replaced due to pulsing at about 30k miles.

I am doing rear brakes tomorrow. This set lasted me 50k as well, my fronts are fine. Ran me $311 in oem rotors and trd pads.

I put on EBC rotors and pads, front and rear. I like the less spongy feel they give.

The rears may wear at the same speed or a bit faster than the fronts. I bought my 2013 LC with 49k miles on it, so I'm not sure the history, but it appeared to be completely dealer serviced and didn't show any records for brake pad replacement. My mechanic said I was at a bit over 50% on the front and a bit under 50% on the rears at 72k (he gave me actual 32nds measurement, I just don't recall them offhand). I'm at 78k now.

As far as replacement at 50k goes... when I was looking for an LC or LX I saw service records which showed some vehicles getting their first brake job at 25-30k and others at 100k+. It seemed like the majority of early jobs were on LXs. I don't know if that's just the Lexus dealers pushing pad replacement early, but I do believe it's much less about mileage and much more about how you use them

I hate to be too cynical, but did you confirm it needed rear brakes by looking at the pads yourself? I suspect brakes are one of the top up sells of service depts. And rotors too at only 50K? Maybe ask for measurements?

I did not check the pads or rotors myself. The dealership gave me an inspection sheet after the 50k service. I will try to get a look this weekend. They said I should be able to get by til the next service...
20180712_064810.jpg

Me personally, I do drive a bit hard. Also I did notice the brakes getting hotter after I switched to 17" RW KO2's from stock 18" tire (more mass). My rear brakes are grinding after 50k miles and the rear brake was moving even when car was completely stopped. Mechanic would not let me drive it home because he felt it was too dangerous. I did not notice any issues just in last 1,000 miles or so where the brakes started pulsing when braking from high speeds (60+). I have stainless steel braided brake lines as well.

Is it me or did the tech want to write 5mm but then opted to write 3 over the 5, aka necessitating replacement?

I did the rotors and pads all around on my 2008 when I got it last month. Records I have show that Fronts and Rears were done at the same time. One of the rear pads was completely worn to metal on metal, and the others were down to less than 1/16". The fronts were just over 1/8" and could have gone a little longer. This is the first vehicle I think I have ever had that wears the pads faster in the rear. Most everything I have owned before rear pads lasted 2x the fronts.

The fsm has rotor inspection criteria.
Hi Tony, care to share what that might be?

I just finished replacing my rear pads that were down to 1mm.

I inspected my rotors for any visible cracks and warpage and any noticeable vibration in brake pedal feel. Everything was normal.

Unless anyone towed trailers, I would suspect rotors nowadays would hold up to higher mileage.

Thanks!

Hi Tony, care to share what that might be?

I just finished replacing my rear pads that were down to 1mm.

I inspected my rotors for any visible cracks and warpage and any noticeable vibration in brake pedal feel. Everything was normal.

Unless anyone towed trailers, I would suspect rotors nowadays would hold up to higher mileage.

Thanks!

Rear:

0F9lju8.png

Living in colorado and spending a lot of time in the mountains, i take brakes very seriously. I put powerstop drilled and slotted rotors and carbon ceramic pads front and rear for less than $500. They have been fantastic brakes and i have zero complaints. I ran them on my tundra, highlander, 4runner, and now the LC. I do a lot of towing and have been very happy with them.

Airflow to the rear rotors is lacking due to the splash shield design. Toyota looks to have been more concerned with keeping debris out of the brakes than with cooling airflow. Thus, they run hot and wear out quicker than the front. The debris problem is the larger of the two evils, so opening up the shields to promote flow was nixed. That's my hypothesis.

So will buying slotted cross drilled rotors help alot with cooling?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom