Front Axle Replacement - OEM or Rebuilt? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just got my oil changed, looks like my front axles are starting to leak... Question:

Detroit Axles has them for $75 each and between this write up: Front Axle (CV) Assembly Replacement and my factory manuals, seems like an easy repair.

Dealer wants $220 an axle (actually decent price for over the counter) as well as $149 labor.

Either way, I may do the labor, but any feedback on rebuilt vs new OEM axles?

thanks!!

Rebuilt OEM CV axles will have the grooves in the joint milled out and larger balls installed to freshen it up, as well as new grease, boots etc. The issue is that nothing can really be done about the worn splines at either end. You can get new hub flanges but they will wear faster since all of the other splined connections could still be loose.

New OEM axles will be fresh from end to end. The price your dealer quoted is at least $100 cheaper than I've seen them anywhere else. If that's for a complete OEM axle, I'd say jump on it for sure.

Rebuilt OEM CV axles will have the grooves in the joint milled out and larger balls installed to freshen it up, as well as new grease, boots etc. The issue is that nothing can really be done about the worn splines at either end. You can get new hub flanges but they will wear faster since all of the other splined connections could still be loose.

New OEM axles will be fresh from end to end. The price your dealer quoted is at least $100 cheaper than I've seen them anywhere else. If that's for a complete OEM axle, I'd say jump on it for sure.

That's what I thought as well... They owe me big time from when they broke my spacers, so I am calling in the favor now.

Only issue is I have to pay for them to do it, but I suppose its not the biggest issue.

I recently replaced one axle. I got a Cardone Select (lifetime warranty) for $71 from Amazon. Labor was $120

lots of threads on here about this. check them all out until your eyes start bleeding.

general consensus: rebuild the existing oem ones if they aren't clicking, or buy oem.

reasons why people go oem over aftermarket:
-vibration issues on ''most'' aftermarket axles (a few guys on here have zero vibration issues)
-oem axles utilized a 6-ball cage design that is superior on lifted applications, most aftermarket axles utilize a 3-ball cage.

Go OEM, several posts here about aftermarket leaking quickly or having balance problems. If you can get Toyota OEM CV's for $220, jump on it.

Yep, that price sounds pretty good. Make sure the dealer isn't quoting re-man'd ones at that price.

Just got my oil changed, looks like my front axles are starting to leak... Question:

Detroit Axles has them for $75 each and between this write up: Front Axle (CV) Assembly Replacement and my factory manuals, seems like an easy repair.

Dealer wants $220 an axle (actually decent price for over the counter) as well as $149 labor.

Either way, I may do the labor, but any feedback on rebuilt vs new OEM axles?

thanks!!

The Detroit Axle are OEM remans, to the best of my knowledge. I have one, been flawless.

I will be sure to report back about my aftermarket Cardone axle.

I will be sure to report back about my aftermarket Cardone axle.

Reporting back with my $80 Napa axles (says Cardone Industries on the limited lifetime warranty). It's been 14 months and 13k miles and no issues so far. No clicking, no leaks, no vibration. I bought these as a temporary fix because I couldn't swing the $700 for OEM at the time.

Where would the best best online to buy OEM axles for my LX 470 2003. I don't have any issues with the axles, but do have a torn boot with gray grease splashed in areas. Also, I believe there is oil leaking from the seals where the axles attach to the diff.

Thanks.

I need to replace mine and OEM are like 450-500$.. holly s***..

Where are you guys finding them for 220?

Last edited:
I went DA and haven't had a single issue, but be sure to also get the axle seal kit from land cruiser heaven for each side.

I have a 2 inch lift so just want to make sure which one will work the best and hopefully last me a decent amount of time.

Probably when the thread originally started they were running around $200+ on the interwebz but like you found, now they are running between $400-$600 depending on the place you purchase and shipping cost. This is part of the reason there are other threads talking about "quality" aftermarket axles that won't break the bank vs. the OEM. One thing to remember with places like Detroit Axle (DA) or CVJ Axles is a lot of times they are purely refurbed axles so you will have to be cautious of the hub end splines to make sure they are not goobered up.

If you can find a part out shop that has a good set of OEM that just needs rebooting you would be better off with that as a mid-level/price option vs. straight OEM. Other thing to note is that most aftermarket axle companies warranties do not include OffRoad Usage or Oversized tires in the event that the axle fails.

By the way, where are you located in NV @implayaz9 ???

I am in Las Vegas

I am in Las Vegas
Ok... if you are not part of the local club down there may be a good idea to ask them to see what they are running. Also seen BattleBorn Yotas on instagram so may be worth while ask them to get an idea of OEM vs. Aftermarket.

Word to the wise, I picked up Alita from down there and there was a bunch of work that the PO had done by 4Wheel Parts. I don't trust the one up here and with what I have seen, and am having to correct from their "work" I would recommend keeping a wide berth of them, their shop, and anything they may have touched.

Probably when the thread originally started they were running around $200+ on the interwebz but like you found, now they are running between $400-$600 depending on the place you purchase and shipping cost.
New OE CV axles were never $220 at any time. However, Toyota dealers sometimes do sell remanufactured axles and $220 sounds about right. Watch out for the -84 suffix in the part numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom