What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Rugy that's a great upgrade - @beno do you have a line on those?
Mirror Assy, Outer
87940-60372
87910-60142
Thursday night the wife says let's go camping tomorrow— good thing our gear and truck is generally ready to go. Four or five lakes in Oregon including a visit to Crater Lake and Suttle Lake Lodge, good old primitive camping.
eU9xI43.jpg

Fj1FGGx.jpg

ig8mTng.jpg

6WtQUL8.jpg

jmmUmbR.jpg

Took a 2000 mile trip from Portland Oregon to my ancestral homelands in the tiny remote town of Winifred Montana in my 1990 FJ62!

hoCgNzM.png

I heard a strange hissing gurgle coming from my dashboard vents about 100 miles away from home. This ended up being the "swan song" of my AC -- the last noise it made before venting my precious R12 into the atmosphere through a break in the evaporator. My wife and I are the kind of people who will tolerate some discomfort for the sake of adventure so it was windows down from that point forward.

Last fuel up before reaching Great Falls, Montana:

7ZJyqeG.jpg

If you ever find yourself in Great Falls, be sure to visit the Sip N Dip tiki bar which has actual mermaids performing in a pool right in front of you!

1RglkbU.jpg

After Great Falls, it was time to head up to the camping spot in the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument. Central Montana is full of vast, rugged landscapes that are occasionally broken up by evidence of agriculture.

GwHaxa2.jpg

My great-great grandparents built a homestead in this area around the turn of the 20th century. Though they gave it a solid effort, the isolation, poor soil, and harsh winters were unbearable. They eventually moved to nearby Winifred, which had been built at the terminus of the Milwaukee Road rail line in 1913 and became the only town for 40 miles in any direction.

TnW3KDo.jpg

My dad grew up in the area and was so fascinated by the landscape that he became a geologist. Our camping destination was a 3 mile hike away from Bakers Monument, an ancient cinder cone that he surveyed and wrote his senior thesis about. While hiking out to the monument, I found a nice sized chunk of fossilized bone that likely came from a huge predatory marine animal.

SrLCjsS.jpg

8UZqUuZ.jpg

Bakers Monument was named after a local outlaw who operated a prolific horse rustling business. He used the monument as a lookout on his way to Canada where he would sell his stolen horses to the RCMP at a premium.

JFDUXUj.jpg

After the camping trip, we took a detour over to Stafford Ferry which uses two winches to carry motorists across a remote section of the Missouri River. The ferry is operated by the county year round and is free of charge -- just drive up to the bank and someone will walk down from the house to shuttle you across.

mf8dY9J.jpg

The dirt out here is a fine powdery clay that turns into a sticky "gumbo" whenever it rains and can make roads completely impassible. If you are able to go however, the views of the Upper Missouri Breaks are stupendous.

ev2Pu6Q.jpg

yJxSahY.jpg

I just got back from my trip late last night and am still reeling from the number of repairs to the AC system that I need to make now.

The evaporator core is compromised where the high and low pressure lines feed through the firewall. I haven't dismantled the dash to see how bad the damage is, but it may not be repairable. Anyone know if Toyota is still making the AC evap core?

Took a 2000 mile trip from Portland Oregon to my ancestral homelands in the tiny remote town of Winifred Montana in my 1990 FJ62!

hoCgNzM.png

I heard a strange hissing gurgle coming from my dashboard vents about 100 miles away from home. This ended up being the "swan song" of my AC -- the last noise it made before venting my precious R12 into the atmosphere through a break in the evaporator. My wife and I are the kind of people who will tolerate some discomfort for the sake of adventure so it was windows down from that point forward.

7ZJyqeG.jpg

If you ever find yourself in Great Falls, be sure to visit the Sip N Dip tiki bar which has actual mermaids performing in a pool right in front of you!

1RglkbU.jpg

After Great Falls, it was time to head up to the camping spot in the Upper Missouri River Breaks National Monument. Central Montana is full of vast, rugged landscapes that are occasionally broken up by evidence of agriculture.

GwHaxa2.jpg

My great-great grandparents built a homestead in this area around the turn of the 20th century. Though they gave it a solid effort, the isolation, poor soil, and harsh winters were unbearable. They eventually moved to nearby Winifred, which had been built at the terminus of the Milwaukee Road rail line in 1913 and became the only town for 40 miles in any direction.

TnW3KDo.jpg

My dad grew up in the area and was so fascinated by the landscape that he became a geologist. Our camping destination was a 3 mile hike away from Bakers Monument, an ancient cinder cone that he surveyed and wrote his senior thesis about. While hiking out to the monument, I found a nice sized chunk of fossilized bone that likely came from a huge predatory marine animal.

SrLCjsS.jpg

8UZqUuZ.jpg

Bakers Monument was named after a local outlaw who operated a prolific horse rustling business. He used the monument as a lookout on his way to Canada where he would sell his stolen horses to the RCMP at a premium.

JFDUXUj.jpg

After the camping trip, we took a detour over to Stafford Ferry which uses two winches to carry motorists across a remote section of the Missouri River. The ferry is operated by the county year round and is free of charge -- just drive up to the bank and someone will walk down from the house to shuttle you across.

mf8dY9J.jpg

The dirt out here is a fine powdery clay that turns into a sticky "gumbo" whenever it rains and can make roads completely impassible. If you are able to go however, the views of the Upper Missouri Breaks are stupendous.

ev2Pu6Q.jpg

yJxSahY.jpg

I just got back from my trip late last night and am still reeling from the number of repairs to the AC system that I need to make now.

The evaporator core is compromised where the high and low pressure lines feed through the firewall. I haven't dismantled the dash to see how bad the damage is, but it may not be repairable. Anyone know if Toyota is still making the AC evap core?

Check out CoolStream. coolstreamac.com

That’s where I got my AC parts, click on the “Mud” header, they cater to Cruisers.

Got in a little more work on my rear drawers and a hinged side wing and partition to keep clear space around the fridge- may have gone overboard on the height, but they’re spacious! The drawers are sloped on the back to take advantage of all the space available. I thought of making them vertical and having a compartment behind the rear seat, but accessing it would involve cleaning out the back seat and taking out car seats so this works better for me. I'm no carpenter, but they're functional!

View attachment 1740443
View attachment 1740447
View attachment 1740445

Upgraded my tranny cooler to a Derale unit with an in-line thermostat and fan, and replaced trans soft lines.
View attachment 1740444

Nice that tucked in there nicely!

Got a model # by chance ?

-Ed

Nice that tucked in there nicely!

Got a model # by chance ?

-Ed
Sure Ed, it's DER-13950 from Summit Racing. I had to make my own brackets to fit it in there. Theres a few minutes worth of 10+% grade on my commute and today I pulled over at the top and hopped out with my infrared thermometer to check temps. I had 190 at the cooler inlet and the fan was running. I drove the remaining mile or so home and the fan was off when I got home. I got some thermocouples and a digital display that I'm going to play with in the next week or so to get some better numbers on temps.

It isn’t really the weekend in Aus, but I am a school teacher, and on holidays - so every day is a Saturday at the moment...
During our last trip away the drivers side speakers kept dropping out - I have no knowledge of car audio systems, but it annoyed me not being right... I went to a car audio shop looking at the cheapest gear they had to fix my issue (the amp was stuffed as I could wiggle random wires on it and have it temporarily work...) - but after they had a look at my system I realised that the previous owner had put in some pretty expensive components, and I decided if I was going to spend money, then I wanted it to sound better than what was already there....
So...
The front splits are MB Quart 6.5’s with Alpine 6.5 s types (apparently) in the rear with a 4 way Bridgeable Pioneer Amp...
I replaced the amp with a Pioneer 5 way and added a Rockford Fosgate 12” P2 Sub in a sealed box (following Rockford’s volume calcs and shaped to follow the angle of the back seat) - I have only managed to temporarily hook it up and have a quick play but it sounds awesome!!

I got frustrated with trying to remove my oil pan so I rebuilt my alternator out of spite. New oem brushes and springs, Koyo bearings, oem condenser, high temp paint. Waiting to do the oil pan later this week.

View attachment 1742198

View attachment 1742199
Be sure to swap that pulley. Pretty sure the one you have pictured needs to be swapped w/ the stock single v belt pulley.

8F38E981-B45A-4D79-B656-A3DA935A14FD.jpeg
It isn’t really the weekend in Aus, but I am a school teacher, and on holidays - so every day is a Saturday at the moment...
During our last trip away the drivers side speakers kept dropping out - I have no knowledge of car audio systems, but it annoyed me not being right... I went to a car audio shop looking at the cheapest gear they had to fix my issue (the amp was stuffed as I could wiggle random wires on it and have it temporarily work...) - but after they had a look at my system I realised that the previous owner had put in some pretty expensive components, and I decided if I was going to spend money, then I wanted it to sound better than what was already there....
So...
The front splits are MB Quart 6.5’s with Alpine 6.5 s types (apparently) in the rear with a 4 way Bridgeable Pioneer Amp...
I replaced the amp with a Pioneer 5 way and added a Rockford Fosgate 12” P2 Sub in a sealed box (following Rockford’s volume calcs and shaped to follow the angle of the back seat) - I have only managed to temporarily hook it up and have a quick play but it sounds awesome!!

Turned it around just to see what it is - it would normally face the other way (just be able to see the carpeted box...)

hoCgNzM.png

7ZJyqeG.jpg

1RglkbU.jpg

GwHaxa2.jpg

TnW3KDo.jpg

SrLCjsS.jpg

8UZqUuZ.jpg

JFDUXUj.jpg

mf8dY9J.jpg

ev2Pu6Q.jpg

yJxSahY.jpg

Winifred. I drove there once from Arkansas to float the MO River. I'd read a story prior in National Geographic where they interviewed some people in the bar. I went there and mentioned it to them and they had a puzzled look until someone said, oh....those were the people in here with the camera's. A good memory and I'd love to go there again. Was 20 years ago.

Winifred. I drove there once from Arkansas to float the MO River. I'd read a story prior in National Geographic where they interviewed some people in the bar. I went there and mentioned it to them and they had a puzzled look until someone said, oh....those were the people in here with the camera's. A good memory and I'd love to go there again. Was 20 years ago.

That's awesome! The Winifred Tavern is still operating as the only watering hole for 40 miles in any direction. Lots of history there...

When I was quite young, my family spent a week floating the Missouri from Fort Benton to the P-N bridge outside Winifred. It was a spectacular experience, though the biting flies and mosquitoes were always a drag.

I have the adjustable tuff dog steering damper. How do you like the shocks?
I think they're great. I've got about 14k miles on them and no complaints on road or off. They are quite a bit heftier than the stock shocks and seem to do a great job when loaded up heavy on rough stuff and still ride nice on the road.

Would say better or comprable to OME?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom