WIsh me luck. Pulled the trigger on this '86 today... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'd always been interested in a companion for my 100. But I wanted something ideally that was simple- sort of the antithesis to my 100. I test drove some 4x4 Xtra Cabs and looked over the 4Runners as a young man back in the '80's. but the combination of import quotas, tariffs, greedy dealers, and my insurance cost at the time made that proposition pretty much unobtainium back then. I'd been looking around and found a lot of 2nd and 3rd gen trucks with issues- and usually loaded. I was too late on a nice '94 so I went back to the ads and found this. I'll be the third owner.

With 153K on the clock. it's spent most all it's life as a coastal truck so sun and sea air have taken a bit from it. The frame and body seem structurally sound. Floors and rocker are good, but the fender eyebrows and lower rear quarters need some work, fender wells were pretty solid. The plastics need much rejuvenation/replacement and the front seats aren't pretty. I've got some dents, too. Extra parts that come with it are front Bilsteins and Brembo rotors with Bosch pads. New battery, tires, and rear Bilstiens are on it.

The test drive went well. I could discern no major issues. The 22RE is no stoplight bandit, but it pulled and the auto shifted well. It should make the 140 mile trip home fine. The seller had worked on making it roadable and usable.

I'm glad it's a first gen and far more truck than luxury car. Can't wait to get it home and piddle with it.

IMG_20180707_110035.jpg
IMG_20180707_110425.jpg
IMG_20180706_174408.jpg
IMG_20180706_174433.jpg
IMG_20180706_173317.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the 1st gen family.

Welcome to the 1st gen family.

Thanks! By the way, I've been reading your thread with great interest these past few days....

Last edited:
Welcome. Now get that engine cleaned up. It is a mess.

Nice. I don't see anything thats not easily fixable. Look for some SR5 seats when you go to replace the seats. I find them way more comfortable. Just take the bumper off. They look great with no bumper and that giant step bumper is awful.

Thanks.

Yup... when I first laid eyes on the ad, the very first reaction I had was that bumper had to go...

Maybe it made it legal somewhere?

Interesting, the steering wheel looks like it's out of a Corolla or Camry...

The steering wheel looks pretty similar to my 87, but not the same. Maybe a similar vintage Toyota?

That bumper is awful! If you were farther North, I would say it was installed as part of a DOT/State tech inspection. Looks like it's off a 3rd gen pickup.

Looks like you have a hell of a detail ahead of you.

:)

Just take the bumper off. They look great with no bumper and that giant step bumper is awful.

That bumper was originally intended to be a dealer option for 1984-1988 Trucks instead of 4Runners. In my opinion, those bumpers look great on a clean, stock Truck, but look a little out of place on a 4Runner.

If you do not like the bumper and it is in good shape, try selling it instead of throwing them away. There are not many of these bumpers that have survived without many dents or turning into metal Swiss cheese.

Interesting, the steering wheel looks like it's out of a Corolla or Camry...

That is one of the factory steering wheel options for 1984-1986 Trucks and 4Runners. Toyota's steering wheels tend to have the same look across most of their cars.

:steer:

Nice man! Looks like you got yourself a little runner that needs some work. Nothing wrong with it and at the end of the day when it's all said and done you can pat yourself on the back!

I went and visited my truck today. I've decided to have it shipped instead of driving it back home. The anxiety of using borrowed plates to get it back. what might happen with extreme heat in a Cincy traffic jam, and fact somebody could just drag it back for a little bit more than what I'd pay a co-worker to drive mine to it- well, I'd have a load off my mind. It's only about 140 miles at a going rate of a dollar a mile. The seller is being pretty darn nice for keeping it in his shop until I can get it out. I'm trying to get in touch with the gents who hauled my GMC from GA, but if it's not in the next day or two, I'll go looking.

I'd spied a spot during the week viewing my photos on the frame- L-shaped, next to the body support. The way the photo took I wondered it if is was a hole. Turned out to be just a stain that was much lighter in reality- metal was solid. Yippee.
IMG_20180707_110256.jpg

Once it gets back, I'll get the new pads and rotors on. Next, I'll try to solve a mystery- why the lights (including the back-ups are wired to toggle switches in the dash(?). Check the fluids and likely replace them. I'll clean out the inside and do some automotive archaeology disassembling, cleaning and whatnot. Going to the car wash for a good cleaning- including the underside.

Anyone know if I can source the rear hub covers and front bumper corners from the dealer? Or alternatives? When I get time, I'll scout wrecking yards for bumpers. I'm trying to look- if not respectable right now- neat, I guess...

No, just take a hose, rinse it off first. Then take
Dawn and a scrub pad for dishes and lightly scrub grease off metal and plastic, rinse, repeat, till she is clean. Let her dry, then spray silicone spray on plastic parts, then wipe them down.

She will love you for it, lol

I got some replacement front plastic corners from RockAuto for pretty cheap a few years ago.

Just delivered this morning. I'll take some photos with the 100 after my bumper caps come in ($7.40 w/credits @ Amazon). Went to courthouse and got it plated and titled already. I'll post here as the progress goes- don't expect anything fast. I'm sure I'll have a pot full of questions as I go along, so watch this space...
IMG_20180720_114421.jpg

I took a load of pictures of the truck in this thread, They've been useful. Also got me thinking about a bench seat and rubber floor cover since my front carpet is toast.

Can this truck be saved?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom