What did you do on your 70 series today? (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Me and my mate spending a lazy rainy Friday on the build.
Windscreens in.
IMG_5470.JPG

31's to 35's make a huge difference i tried it for kicks one day and it did go better on the smaller tires. I run a 1hz turbo intercooled and 35s normally and its got plenty of power for the hills. I'm presuming that you have a 1hz na?

Mines only got a 1pz actually but it gets along good ..just ducks a bit on the hills

@R33F How is that Pyle unit working out for you? I'm thinking about picking one up.

Not well, I actually pulled it out and tossed it! Sounded terrible.
Went to Car Toys 4th of July Tent Sale and picked up a Kenwood with all the bells and whistles.
I had them install it using one of those 24v-12v step downs I got on ebay.
Couldn't be happier. They also installed a Clifford alarm and electric door locks.

Mines only got a 1pz actually but it gets along good ..just ducks a bit on the hills

My experience is the same with my PZJ70 but fortunately I don't live in an area with a lot of steep hills.

My experience is the same with my PZJ70 but fortunately I don't live in an area with a lot of steep hills.
I'd never even heard of the pzj70 till i came to the 70 page on mud. We don't get them here so i wonder how they compare to the 1hz. Is the pzj70 what is refered to as a light duty 70?

I admit I had to look up "Straya" as I didn't know where that was (or what the term meant).

The PZJ70 is heavy duty just like the PZJ77, PZJ73 and PZJ75. I don't have much experience with the 1HZ at all to compare the two though. It is a great engine for the SWB but I don't think I would want it in the MWB or LWB, just my personal preference.

I re-installed my rodded out radiator & cured my overheating problem! :)

The cruiser has always run warm when worked hard, & more so since I went to the 35's etc. It's never gone full geyser on me but it seemed to be getting close a couple of times, so I've been working through the cooling system over the last while, checked & replaced the thermostat, cleaned all the mud out of the radiator fins, put new goop in the thermo fan clutch & checked it's operation, sealed the fan shroud on to the radiator a lot better (it got a bit hacked up in the v8 conversion) None of this had made much of a difference.

Fortunately Bryce at the local garage also does radiator work, he suggested that the next stage to find the problem would be to un-solder the top off the rad & poke out all the holes. Sure enough, he found it about 80% blocked. So the freshly cleaned & re-soldered rad went back in on the weekend & unsurprisingly, when thrashing the cruiser back up over the hill from work on my way home yesterday the temp needle hardly moved, whereas before it would go from 1/4 to 3/4. Result!

I've always had a generous dose of glycol in the 1UZ cooling system & it's always looked clean, IIRC the original 2L-TE came with fairly clean looking coolant too, so I dunno if the gunge has been building up for a long time or it was a relic from way back in the iron engine days, but it's fixed now. Definitely something to check if you've got a cruiser that's running warm, especially if it's an LJ7* where good cooling is vital to keep the head in one piece.

Cheers
Clint

I admit I had to look up "Straya" as I didn't know where that was (or what the term meant).

The PZJ70 is heavy duty just like the PZJ77, PZJ73 and PZJ75. I don't have much experience with the 1HZ at all to compare the two though. It is a great engine for the SWB but I don't think I would want it in the MWB or LWB, just my personal preference.
Yup..they are a real 70 just like the hzj
Identical motor minus 1 cylinder.. nice and smooth and last indefenatly if looked after

Last edited:
G'Day Fella's,

Lookin good there R33F.
I need to aquire or make a similar ladder for my Battle Cruiser, for access to a future RTT (not yet made).

D'oh!
Homer

New boots on the HzJ76. I went for 235/85/16 over the standard 265/70/16's. And side stepped the BFG's again.( We drive in the wet a lot here). Yokies have served us well in our "plat kar" flat car so we are giving the AT's a go.
_DSC6021.jpg
_DSC6035.jpg

I'm an old "tall and skinny" man, and now it look right, and fill the arches a lot better. Speedo will be a lot more accurate as well, or so I hear.

G

image.jpeg

@R33F .... Just curious, does this style of ladder come with a backing plate that goes inside of the door or does it rely on the door's skin for structural integrity? .... Thanks

Drove the PZJ75 to the TLSC meeting in Dallas yesterday,150 mile round trip.It started raining here so the temps dropped from high 90's to high 80's which was appreciated in a Cruiser without ac and no possibility of taking the top down ;)

37079278_2155879104651167_9038265066725572608_n.jpg
37023391_2155879107984500_6797808171474747392_n.jpg

Joe: I am just curious how well that troopy gets around with the 1PZ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom