What did you do with your 60 this weekend? (30 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If I remember right, did medium up front, heavy in the rear. Brake lines are still original. Was able to do the spring replacement by myself with help from an old Napa neumatic impact, 1/2 inch drive breaker bar, and a propane torch to heat the old bushings. Oh, and a 3lb. BF hammer.
If I had to do it again, I'd get Bilstein shocks instead, but OME shocks are decent. I do not know if lengthened swaybar mounts offer an advantage, I just reattached them . You will want to adjust the steering rod or your stearing wheel will be cockeyed.

If I remember right, did medium up front, heavy in the rear. Brake lines are still original. Was able to do the spring replacement by myself with help from an old Napa neumatic impact, 1/2 inch drive breaker bar, and a propane torch to heat the old bushings. Oh, and a 3lb. BF hammer.
If I had to do it again, I'd get Bilstein shocks instead, but OME shocks are decent. I do not know if lengthened swaybar mounts offer an advantage, I just reattached them . You will want to adjust the steering rod or your stearing wheel will be cockeyed.
Man-A-Fre makes nice front sway bar link extensions that articulate at the bottom. That's what I installed on my '86 FJ60. I also bought their rear sway bar extended links. Trail Tailor also sells extended links.

...and add a inverted U-bolt kit.

Replaced drivers side motor mount!
And 2 out of three exhaust isolatosr.
(No pics) on isolators.

77A58CE8-A5A5-46BA-9CEE-3A31C00DF10E.jpeg

Took Louise on her first ever road trip/trail ride in northern Michigan with a bunch of mud friends (put together by @Ocho77 and @69LC) . Record high temps caused serious running issues (vapor lock?). My fault for not being better prepared. That said, that truck is a blast to drive. Took out a front corner light on a sapling trying to make a tight corner and keep her running. Oh well, no biggie. Looking forward to better maintenance and more trips.
20180630_142000.jpg

629F8AF0-5ED5-4EBB-9B93-3782995D7E6C.jpeg

Pulled my camshaft out today w/o pulling the engine. Had to do some cutting and bending of the front crossmember but hey... onto replacement of one partially spun cam bearing #2 and if able #1 and 3.

33554A34-F2B9-4FAC-89BF-44A58F25757B.jpeg

DE4BF35D-1B7B-451D-94B0-1A2E1D6A3A47.jpeg

130E1769-39FD-49E9-88C2-B5E674BF0D01.jpeg

@Javelin... I see 3 part numbers under HELLA H4 headlights, what part number did you use for your HELLA H4 conversion headlights?
Who re-chromed your bumpers? They look great!

unpacked an 80s series steering assembly.......
no leaks
looks really clean...
seems it has no play either...
will go on Lump once it's painted

=3

camping & fly fishing on the owyhee river - 2 sleepless nights doing battle with pack rats rummaging around the engine bay.
3rd night epiphany - a moat!!

85367C2A-4B96-4714-B248-631ECF1C84DD.jpeg

800+ miles round trip. averaged 16mpg on the highway.

H55 transmission swap the best thing in the world. able to cruise at 70 with ease and keep up 60/65 mph on hill climbs dropping to 4th.

camping & fly fishing on the owyhee river - 2 sleepless nights doing battle with pack rats rummaging around the engine bay.
3rd night epiphany - a moat!!

View attachment 1737080

800+ miles round trip. averaged 16mpg on the highway.

H55 transmission swap the best thing in the world. able to cruise at 70 with ease and keep up 60/65 mph on hill climbs dropping to 4th.
Can't wait to really try out the H55f in my '86 FJ60. It has the 3FE, transfer case, and axles out of the '89 FJ62 donor vehicle. I'm trying to get a few last-minute items (mudflaps, snake blinders, carpet, etc.) finished before taking it to State Farm to get them to agree on a valuation for insurance purposes. Right now I only have liability, medical, uninsured motorist, and towing coverage. I don't want to take it anywhere except locally until I've got comprehensive and collision coverage.

We have issues with packrats around the neighborhood, a constant battle, especially once the weather starts to cool down in the fall. I relly like your moat idea - brilliant!

Can't wait to really try out the H55f in my '86 FJ60. It has the 3FE, transfer case, and axles out of the '89 FJ62 donor vehicle. I'm trying to get a few last-minute items (mudflaps, snake blinders, carpet, etc.) finished before taking it to State Farm to get them to agree on a valuation for insurance purposes. Right now I only have liability, medical, uninsured motorist, and towing coverage. I don't want to take it anywhere except locally until I've got comprehensive and collision coverage.

We have issues with packrats around the neighborhood, a constant battle, especially once the weather starts to cool down in the fall. I relly like your moat idea - brilliant!

yeah - pack rats - yikes! sometimes they develop a taste for plastic and rubber and chew through critical ignition stuff and you end up stranded. it occurred to me that well stocked recovery kit needs electrical wire and tape in case i need to make spark plug wires or bypass ignition stuff.

a year ago i would have said the 3FE is too little power for these trucks. but really it’s just gearing - and the stupid nature of a fluid coupling through a torque converter. what a difference a direct connection makes!! the engine is pretty nice

System capacity is 5.5 oz.

yeah - pack rats - yikes! sometimes they develop a taste for plastic and rubber and chew through critical ignition stuff and you end up stranded. it occurred to me that well stocked recovery kit needs electrical wire and tape in case i need to make spark plug wires or bypass ignition stuff.

a year ago i would have said the 3FE is too little power for these trucks. but really it’s just gearing - and the stupid nature of a fluid coupling through a torque converter. what a difference a direct connection makes!! the engine is pretty nice

A few months ago I noticed one of the headlights was out on our Malibu, and with most modern vehicles replacement requires removing the front bumper. I got everything apart, installed a new bulb, and tried it out before putting everything back together. Still no headlight. Turned out a packrat chewed through all of the wiring for the headlights on that side.

The closest they got to any major damage on any of my Land Cruisers was under the hood of my '89 FJ62 donor vehicle when it was a daily driver. A packrat had chewed through the insulation on one of the wires near the TPS connector. When I was building the '86 I took extra care splicing in a section of good wire knowing that it could save me having to hunt down a CEL code during the start-up and break-in.

My first impressions of the 3FE/H55f combo are also very positive, glad I went to all the trouble to build the '86 that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back
    Top Bottom