Builds What did you do to your Land Cruiser/Toyota/Lexus 4X4 this week? (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interesting stuff. Did you just apply it with a roller?

yeah, I just cleaned and scuffed the paint and taped off the sunroof. I rolled the first coat Saturday morning. I didn't start early enough and it started to dry as I was rolling it on. i sanded the parts you can see beyond the roof rack and applied the second coat Monday morning at 6.
the cooler temp and rolling over the first coat made it much easier. i rolled the 2nd coat much thicker too.

it is hard enough to sand without gumming up the paper, but soft enough, 320 grit knocks down the texture left by the roller.
i used sponge rolls. not sure if a different material roller would have worked better or worse.

all in all, probably 2.5 hrs for prep and two coats.
one can will do 2 cars. the website says pigment can be added to color match, so I'm thinking about adding silver and coating the wife's gx470.
the improvement in rear ac is just awesome.

yeah, I just cleaned and scuffed the paint and taped off the sunroof. I rolled the first coat Saturday morning. I didn't start early enough and it started to dry as I was rolling it on. i sanded the parts you can see beyond the roof rack and applied the second coat Monday morning at 6.
the cooler temp and rolling over the first coat made it much easier. i rolled the 2nd coat much thicker too.

it is hard enough to sand without gumming up the paper, but soft enough, 320 grit knocks down the texture left by the roller.
i used sponge rolls. not sure if a different material roller would have worked better or worse.

all in all, probably 2.5 hrs for prep and two coats.
one can will do 2 cars. the website says pigment can be added to color match, so I'm thinking about adding silver and coating the wife's gx470.
the improvement in rear ac is just awesome.

I wonder how it would do on floor boards as a an additional heat barrier :hmm:

My truck now sits a little higher so I needed to add the F&R diff breather kit under the hood

Also changed some brake and suspension items

ARB.jpg

Last edited:
Must be the mini truck. I remember those Dyno tests. Can't say I miss them even though never had a issue passing. Is this in the year range that you have to go annually? Just the emmisions part of registration cost a lot more than I pay for the complete registration on five year tags.

Yes, mini truck. For gasoline engine, it is every 2 years if they can run the dyno or connect to OBDII connector. I paid $17 for the emission test which is good for 2 years. How much is your registration on five years tags?

My truck now sits a little higher so I needed to add the F&R diff breather kit under the hood

Also changed some brake and suspension items

View attachment 1732131

Do tell, what new suspension ? Details on brake changes? I was speaking with a guy about swapping newer calipers from a Tacoma to the 80 for better clamping force.

Pictures too, please

Yes, mini truck. For gasoline engine, it is every 2 years if they can run the dyno or connect to OBDII connector. I paid $17 for the emission test which is good for 2 years. How much is your registration on five years tags?

When I use to register my 68 FJ40 in the valley it required emissions every year including a Dyno test. As I remember each was ago $17. My 89 FJ 62 believe was every two years. Not sure when the switch from one to two years. 68 is no longer road Worthy with a bad clutch but my 70 FJ40 is right at $60 for five years. The 89 is about $65 for five years. My 99 4Runner was $99 for five years. I remember Claudia posting up she had just passed emissions in her 72 FJ40 and it was every year. Believe this was 2012-2013 time frame. If they changed to every two years now I don't know. When my 68 turned 25 years old I ran historical plates not to avoid emissions which wasn't a option then. But at $25 extra a year that didn't last long. The main reason I hated going thru emissions wasn't because it wouldn't pass but the fact the only time I used my 68 in the valley was to drive thru emissions. Towed it up north. Wasn't until my 89 became a third vehicle is was moved north in 2004. It hasn't been in Phoenix since.

Last edited:
Do tell, what new suspension ? Details on brake changes? I was speaking with a guy about swapping newer calipers from a Tacoma to the 80 for better clamping force.

Pictures too, please

brakes are still under development :hmm:

removed the old suspension and put a newer one in.

susp.jpg

^^^^^^pretty°!!!!!

Installed a rear panhard lift bracket by Delta. Very nicely made product to address the on going 80 series problem of rear side to side movement when hitting bumps along with keeping the axle centered. I was so excited with design and quality we jointed Delta and LCP will be carrying/stocking the Delta panhard brackets. If interested PM we can save you some shipping $$.

IMG_8031.JPG

Installed a rear panhard lift bracket by Delta. Very nicely made product to address the on going 80 series problem of rear side to side movement when hitting bumps along with keeping the axle centered. I was so excited with design and quality we jointed Delta and LCP will be carrying/stocking the Delta panhard brackets. If interested PM we can save you some shipping $$.

View attachment 1735980

Another addition to the LCP products stable ~ put me down for one LCP, I'm a fan of proper suspension geometery!

I would like to get away from the rear end "wiggle" that happens in certain situations! PM coming your way.

@murf , details man...I gots to know.

OK...I took off the OME lift and went with them Icon stage 3 with the beefy 2.5 reservoir shocks and the CDC valves to adjust and tune the ride (1-10) for soft to hard depending on terrain. The springs are the dual rate "slinky" springs that ride better on the road yet step up on whoops. I gained just about an additional inch in ride height. Been playing with the different adjustments and really like the true range of difference. LOoking forward to getting out for extended off road driving to continue playing with it.
All the reservoirs were installed where the adjusters are easy to reach and adjust quickly.
icon.jpg
iconb.jpg
iconc.jpg
icona.jpg

OK...I took off the OME lift and went with them Icon stage 3 with the beefy 2.5 reservoir shocks and the CDC valves to adjust and tune the ride (1-10) for soft to hard depending on terrain. The springs are the dual rate "slinky" springs that ride better on the road yet step up on whoops. I gained just about an additional inch in ride height. Been playing with the different adjustments and really like the true range of difference. LOoking forward to getting out for extended off road driving to continue playing with it.
All the reservoirs were installed where the adjusters are easy to reach and adjust quickly.
View attachment 1736150 View attachment 1736151 View attachment 1736152 View attachment 1736153
Very nice!

View attachment 1735980

Do they have a front panhard lift bracket as well?

View attachment 1736150 View attachment 1736151 View attachment 1736152 View attachment 1736153

Nice change here Murf, just in time for the August ROTM that is being led by @LandCruiserPhil. There should be ample opportunities to test the new suspension and allow most of us to ogle your modifications. Thanks for the details and pictures

Made a new door card from scratch. I now understand why paying someone to do this sort of stuff is expensive.

img_2465-jpg.1736440

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom