Builds 2013 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab Chinook build (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Fit & finish of your interior looks great! Keep it up!

This has got to be one of the best private builds/conversions I've seen. The design, fit, and finish are outstanding.

This has got to be one of the best private builds/conversions I've seen. The design, fit, and finish are outstanding.
Thank you for your kind words steve.....I went a lot further with this project than I had originally intended to... looking forward to getting it buttoned up!

I have the air conditioning cabinet finalised I hope... I installed a pair of 4"x8" grills on the intake side side. It wil, supplement the outside fresh air with some interior air. Then on the exhaust side (hot air from the coil side), I installed a 4"x12" grate to the exterior and sourced a 220 CFM 4" duct fan...i reworked the condensation tray to the back of the enclosure so if any water was to enter the AC enclosure it will be able to drain out the condensate tube...... I think it will have plenty of ventilation on both sides. I won't have the fan until Tuesday to test it though...

I also installed the Tough Country add a leaf kit today. It feels awesome with the airbags at 50 psi!

IMG_8420.JPG

IMG_8440.JPG

I got the 120 volt electric roughed in today. Painted shallow switch/ outlet boxes grey and got them in position but loose. All the wiring is a stranded 3 wire romex type marine wiring...
I am using the old copper coil power distribution box from Chinool...shore power in, a single 15 amp breaker plus a step down 12 volt transformer... pretty bullet proof. When I am out of the country I will have another voltage converter. 240 volt to 120 as needed...feels good to get this portion started...
And the add a leaf was a HUGE asset! It feels great. I dropped the air bag pressure down to 40 lbs,

IMG_8540.JPG

IMG_8536.JPG

IMG_8537.JPG

IMG_8539.JPG

Continued with the wiring today. I extended the factory 100/400 watt inverter harness and the wiring harness for the generator... soldered and shrink tubed the ran through plastic wiring corrugated tubing...
I also started pulling wires for the 12 volt system... I will have bus bars under the benches on both sides to wire to for lights, fan, fridge, charging station etc...
I have a pair of #12 wires in position that will run from the house battery as a main feed. There will be a switch that I will be able to select 12 volt from the house battery when off grid or I will have12 volts off the inverter if plugged in to shore power or if the generator is running.
I will be charging the house battery off a battery tender that will be powered by the trucks factory 120 volt inverter... I have opted to keep the trucks battery and charging system completely isolated from the house 12 volt system.

37694C08-2D77-422B-B286-30A1179E8E5C.jpeg

I am picking away at the wiring...while it is a pretty simple system (or systems really!) It is a big job. All the 120 volt is roughed in and ready to be secured and to have the outlets and switches installed... I have the power distribution panel for the generator wired. I have added an outlet in the shore power storage compartment. The cord will simply plug in to run the system off of the generator instead of an outside source...
I have rethought keeping the 2 batteries seperate. There are too many advantages to linking them. House battery charging, boost starting etc. I bought a marine add a battery kit that has a battery switch and charging relay isolator. I will probably connect the batteries with a #6 wire. I need to verify the amp draw on the truck starter before I make the call... I have a 12 volt fuse and rocker switch panel that will mount on the front of the passenger side bench with the battery switches.
Also the wiring for the factory inverter has been extended for an outlet in the galley so we can have a crockpot cooking while we are rolling.

IMG_8555.JPG

IMG_8554.JPG

IMG_8552.JPG

IMG_8551.JPG

Wow, just wow... are you doing hot water? I’m leaning heavily on your trail and documentation here on my little build. You’re almost done... what are you gunna do next?

Wow, just wow... are you doing hot water? I’m leaning heavily on your trail and documentation here on my little build. You’re almost done... what are you gunna do next?
Thanks Lambcrusher! I fabricated a 15 gallon aluminum water tank that heats off the truck exhaust... look back in the thread for details... at least warm water.... Next? I hope to put 100K miles on this rig exploring the globe!

Thanks Lambcrusher! I fabricated a 15 gallon aluminum water tank that heats off the truck exhaust... look back in the thread for details... at least warm water.... Next? I hope to put 100K miles on this rig exploring the globe!

I have the LP system parts and pieces ready to install... a propane shop about 20 miles away was recommended to me and what a gem it was. A smart guy and everything I needed on the shelf including ready made hoses with flair fittings on both ends in increments from 2-20’...just great! High pressure lines to the generator a grill that have their own regulators and then low pressure to the fridge and cook top that have appliance regulators that I’ll only accept low pressure...

C6BF94B6-3428-439F-AB47-019DE3CC4D03.jpeg

Worked on the propane system and got a lot done. Fabricated starboard plastic mounts for the secondary regulator and for the generator regulator...the generator reg has a push button prime button. I mounted the assembly in the back of a kitchen compartment... put the LP manifold together... ready to hook up appliances. Used a marine cable grommet where my propane line enters the camper... very tidy and water tight... my manifold and all of my propane connections are in the vented storage area where the grill stores... isolated from the camper living space.

2343BFAC-DCE6-465F-A913-CE94F356EA31.jpeg

BA625B64-57FF-4549-A46E-C2D1C0CAAFFC.jpeg

DCA5FEAF-F0F0-4678-A812-242B4F2F06D5.jpeg

5CE5369B-87E6-41EA-9A92-7A9FACEB5B7F.jpeg

AB093535-8A2A-43C1-9350-87520D507933.jpeg

Just worked a couple of hours this morning. I made and installed a diamond plate bracket for the primary LP regulator so it will be supported when the hose is disconnected from the tank.
Also removed the inline duct fan from my air conditioner cabinet...it did not have the CFM capacity I needed. I installed a 12V bilge blower in its place...230CFM... AC duct trial and error has been a PIA! I ordered another 120V fan online but when I got it it was huge! Kind of pumpkin shaped instead of a cylinder like the photo on Amazon.... No room for it. Getting returned. My 12 volt fan moves big air. I will writers it off the step down transformer on my shore power distribution center. I want to get the AC in tomorrow.

View attachment 2802941
View attachment 2802943
View attachment 2802945

IMG_8577.JPG

IMG_8579.JPG

IMG_8581.JPG

Spent some time under the rig today securing all of the wire looms and harnesses after running the low pressure LP lines to the generator... burned through a pile of zip ties... that has been on the list for too long! The bottom of this rig is really tidy. I don’t think the pics will show it but the painted steel sub frame with fiberglassed structural foam inserts with undercoating look really clean..
As the summer heats up I am slowing down. Plugging away in the morning and taking afternoons off. I was hoping to be rolling to cooler climates by now but I am not really under any deadlines to finish... I planned a trip with my wife for the month of August... Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Bulgaria... Looking forward to a break.

F1CFF6E5-7AE6-4FC5-8B54-3FB26B7B778A.jpeg

ED0135B1-7F85-4821-AFD7-BEF52B043A2E.jpeg

I ran 12V wiring for the fridge and hooked up the propane line. I also cut the hole for the fridge vent and installed the vent...the refrigerator is back in its hole again and ready to be trimmed out...also cut the whole in the bulkhead facing the back of the passenger seat for the 12V switch panel... this panel has 6 fused switches... for fuel gauge, fridge, water pump and some lights... I will have my main interior LED lights on a separate dimmer and my oscillating fan has its own switch, just needs to be fused.

3410E769-0AAB-4623-9E87-DF734C672D2B.jpeg

C6338D4B-1ED2-4F1A-B22F-EF131B2522DC.jpeg

C2484C05-35EE-4620-A640-B0B2284ED5E1.jpeg

I filled my countersunk nail holes in my hardwood trim around my floor hatches in the access cab. Sanded and stained that wood trim as well as the countertop and leaf for my kitchen... I covered the stainless steel kitchen sink bottom with grey felt where it can be seen through the open storage cabinet and then reinstalled the countertop. I plan to eventually install the felt on all of the inside cabinet surfaces...
Modified a sheet metal 4” duct register and installed it at the exit of my AC cooling fan so I can finalize and button up the generator compartment. I fit a split rubber hose on the edges that I cut so nothing can get cut or chafed on the edge and attached it to the welded steel subframe with self tapping screws...
My friend is getting ready to start staging a huge cruise ship job so I have been working on lessening my footprint in his shop. Left to my own devises I have been known to spread out! And spread out pretty good with all my half baked jobs... pile for propane, pile for electric, pile for upholstery etc etc

AA237DAD-CB7C-4B54-8F6D-40AD6884F57F.jpeg

CFD17954-609E-4FCC-A7C4-A6E5EA5823EF.jpeg

FC1B9A2D-39C2-4028-9B05-000259345770.jpeg

A tiny instant gratification job this morning... covered the AC enclosure in grey hull liner...most of the bare fiberglass inside the camper will get this finish.
Side note about my Air Lift airbags. They have fantastic customer service! I jacked up my installation by under tightening the plastic but on the right side bag on the initial installation allowing the bag to shift onto the shock and leak. They sent me a new one gratis even after I told them it was my installation error... after having my mechanic put the replacement on when they put the add a lift kit (I did not want to do it without a lift in this heat).... the other side is leaking! It is leaking where the rubber meets the plastic top. I assume it is from driving with the other bag flat... I called customer service and they are sending me the other gratis too! They are a rare company in this day and age! The posted pic is with the bags at 85lbs. I run them typically at about 50lbs. The extra pressure brings the back of the truck up quite a bit but pretty stiff on the ride. I have not played with the air pressure much yet...

050BE9E4-5AE2-47D2-948F-E48610A8238D.jpeg

75EF7D0C-BDA3-43E0-AC23-2FF962E1B0DF.jpeg

17037004-A57B-4B5B-8D83-2365948C9426.jpeg

C6BF6A7E-0432-4693-9354-4E06E46E9FEE.jpeg

Worked on wiring the extra fuel tank gauge and bonding the stainless steel fill cap and vent to the frame. I thought it would be good to bond all of the metal fill components to the frame and plastic tank sending unit. No variation in electric charge eliminates possibility of a static spark and fire hazard...
It was a school day on sending units and fuel gauges today... my fuel gauge was pegged on full (with a quarter tank) after wiring it. All my trouble shooting pointed to a bad brand new sending unit in the tank. It turned out that the gauge I bought was a 90-0 ohm gauge and my tank had a 240-33 ohm sender. Fuel guages work on the different resistance of a full tank to an empty one. Bought the correct gauge and I am in business!
FYI-You can read the resistance on a sending unit by disconnecting the sender wire from the gauge and reading between the sending unit wire and ground on an ohm meter... do this on the tank empty and full to determine the matching gauge ohm range...
Also of note on my extra fuel tank setup is that I have it plumbed with a ball valve and syphon ball like an outboard to syphon/gravity feed into the factory tank’s fill tube that I split with a “Y” fitting.... once the fuel has been transferred, the valve must be closed before running the truck or a sensor will generate a venting error code. I suppose it reads the volume of air in the empty tank and that contradicts with the factory specs..it is not a problem but something I learned by getting a check engine light and having my mechanic run the diagnostics. I have not got the code by keeping the valve closed and keeping the tanks isolated.... it seems that in theory the same reading would happen with running with the gas cap off?

D6EADD40-D5D9-4697-AE07-20EF70688758.jpeg

B2CEBC04-8784-4676-91B0-96CB9D8AF4D6.jpeg

8CF89CE1-048E-4780-B7D7-AC58317A7DAA.jpeg

I will be back from my travels at the end of the month with renewed ambition and get this project finished! Thank you for everyone's support!

I ordered an ecofiltre water filter to install for drinking water... an awesome Guatemalan company with the goal to provide clean drinking water to millions of people in Guatemala. Non-potable water filters through clay and sawdust coated with colloidal silver providing clean, bacteria and parasite free drinking water. Everyone I know in Guatemala has one on thier kitchen counter.... questionable water in, perfect water through the spigot!

https://ecofiltro.com/en/how-it-works

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom