August ROTM, Big Bear 8/24-26 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

chap79

Wheel. Break. Fix. Repeat.
SILVER Star
Threads
The August, Big Bear, Run of the Month is approaching quickly. Looking at the camp site availability it looks like Crab Flats is already booked out. How many of you have already made reservations for Crab Flats? If no one has already, we can move to Hanna Flats to maximize availability for those that would like to attend.

Facility Details - HANNA FLAT, CA - Recreation.gov

How many rigs were planning to go? Could also send up a couple mid-week scouts and grab some yellow post sites (free - and first come first serve), I should be available to head up Weds eve/Thurs AM. You can pretty much camp anywhere, but you can only have fires in YP sites or organized site. YP#30 for example has room for at least 5 or 6 trucks in the area (so that we don't max out the single site limit), and more can fit just down the way. We could use YP #30 as the fire/group spot. YP 5 and 33 are also options and right next to each other. YP 6 and 7 could work too.

Yellow post would be great as it would minimize the cost for folks, but it’s a gamble. Another option would be a group site to reduce the cost to the group, but such action would require a vote before using BnT funds and then collecting the divided cost from the members that attend. Or from one member reserving and asking for reimbursement then division of cost :confused:. The rules and bylaws of an organized group....

At this point I would say that Hanna Flat is our best bet since we won’t meet again until the 10th. And moving forward we should look to utilize group sites to reduce individual cost.

After consulting with the better half I booked site 17 at Hanna Flat, hope to see you all out there for some great wheeling fun. The sites are booking up fast, RESERVE YOURS ASAP!

Since my truck is now 4wd again (another front drive shaft) I'm personally planning on running some black diamonds; Gold Mtn, Holcomb Creek, John Bull... Depending on the amount of folks that show (over 16 rigs last year) I'm sure we could split into multiple groups to meet everyones wants and desires.

Yellow posts have strict vehicle and people limits

Bruiser, Bogie and I will be there. Just booked space 18.

Sounds good, I'm going to gamble and will see ya'll up there. I plan to snag a local YP site, there are couple in the area, want to spend a few days up there those organized sites are not my fancy, especially not at those prices when "free" is less than a mile away.

And Yes YP sites you can only have 2 cars/8 people OVERNIGHT. No stipulations about how many people hang out by day, plus, as previously mentioned you can camp anywhere, you don't have to be at a YP site. You just have to have a fire at the YP site/organized campground. I was at YP 30 last month, scoped out space for at least 5 rigs w/in 100yds, and another 5 rigs just down the way.

Last edited:
Just booked site 24, hopefully I can make it, it happens to be my Anniversary that Weekend, maybe I can convince the wife to come, Hahahaha!

Yeah once again I'm late to the party and had reserved a spot at Crab Flats soon as it was mentioned. Crap. Oh well plan B?
Well Sir, you could stay at Crab Flats or you could pull your truck in one of our spots for the night. Most of the sites are large enough for two trucks.

It looks like I'm not going to make the August Big Bear trip this time, I had to make a call and decided I would rather do the Funnel Lake trip in Sept. I do however have a spot reserved (#24) for the weekend if anyone is wanting to go and doesn't have a spot. Let me know and I will pass along the reservation info.

Didn't know this was happening this weekend, and planned a trip of my own. Have spots # 51/52 with a couple of buddies. Will try to swing by & say Hi, and introduce myself.

Reminder, this weekend.

Is there a tentative schedule for runs, timing, etc...? I'm not going to be camping out, promised a buddy I'd help him install a kitchen at his cabin which is near Green Valley Lake, that said, I'll be in the area and if we can get the work done we'll come find you guys and gals.

Well, I was going to organize some runs, but am graded road locked due to the pending move. I don’t want to budget in another 1k trail break before a cross country move.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom