Anyone ever installed bigger injectors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Low end power difference would still show up on a dyno, though. Part throttle acceleration can still be mapped if you log throttle percent during the run and go up and down the rev range a few times under partial throttle. If 30% throttle before and after shows a difference, I'll bite and call it an upgrade. I suspect that wouldn't be the case though. You can also map "tip in" by plotting the profiles of power if you apply throttle suddenly mid-run. You'd just need a shop willing to export some raw data.

Dyno charts are commonly just full throttle pulls, but they don't need to be.

You could lighten the throttle body cable or tweak the profile to be eccentric to make the motor "seem" more lively, but it's all a false sensation.

Call me a cynic, but I need dyno data to grasp the claimed benefit here. If it causes benefits you can't see on a dyno I have a real hard time believing you're not feeling the placebo effect.

I hear ya. And I can understand the cynicism. This post isn’t to try and change your mind, I just want to make sure others reading this get all of the information.

In a previous post I stated that installing an 05-06 manifold alone, no other mods that weren’t already there, caused my turbo truck to need an extra 50hp worth of fuel.

What this means is that by volume, to keep afr at a safe level, installing only the intake required an extra 50hp worth of fuel.

Fuel doesn’t lie. If you need 50hp more fuel, 50 hp was gained.

I later started playing with injectors.

I don’t expect an NA truck to gain 50 hp, modifications made to a turbo engine will compound those of an NA engine. But I do know that the 05-06 intake will make a difference. Especially if you have long tube headers. And for sure if you have a turbo. I recommend buying one from your local wrecking yard. They typically sell for $150-$250 with fuel rails, which you’ll need.

As for the injectors, for anyone on the fence. Hang back. Watch what happens. Don’t jump on a band wagon and buy on a few guys word.

As guys get these on their trucks, you will see more and more positive testimonial. That is far more convincing than dyno sheets. Real, actual members of the forum seeing a real difference. These are huge in tundras right now.

Better fuel atomization isn’t placebo. It’s science. If the droplets are smaller the liquid gas will vaporize sooner and more completely so less gas is blown out the tailpipe only partially burnt. This causes you to step on the gas pedal less. Which increases fuel economy.

It is afterall the vapor which is being ignited since liquid gasoline doesn’t burn.

In other vehicle groups upgraded injectors are super common and known to be a performance increase.

I’m actually ashamed of myself. I’ve been a leader in Tundra performance modifications for the last 15 years and I had never looked into injectors. I just assumed that there was no benefit to them on a vehicle that can’t be tuned. Well I was wrong. A friend of mine did a 4hole upgrade on his older land cruiser. Stock is a one hole squirter (not vaporizer lol). So I looked into an upgrade for our 4.7. I was astounded when I found out that I could affordably build an upgraded injector for our trucks.

I have since run no less than 10 sets of various prototype injectors. This is on my 03, remote mount low boost, 05-06 manifold, jba long tube headers, running on e85 daily driver nonetheless. I’ve had it on the dyno (full throttle) and the above modifications were good for full 100hp over stock.

Anybody else with any questions please post em up here. I’ll do my best to help.

Happy to be the guinea pig for the LC/LX guys here! My injectors should be here Friday and I’ll install them as quick as I can. Spoke with dirtydeeds a couple times and have total trust in what he’s suggested. Can’t wait to feel the results. DT headers will be next and then his Tundra intake manifold swap shortly after.

I hear ya. And I can understand the cynicism. This post isn’t to try and change your mind, I just want to make sure others reading this get all of the information.

In a previous post I stated that installing an 05-06 manifold alone, no other mods that weren’t already there, caused my turbo truck to need an extra 50hp worth of fuel.

What this means is that by volume, to keep afr at a safe level, installing only the intake required an extra 50hp worth of fuel.

Fuel doesn’t lie. If you need 50hp more fuel, 50 hp was gained.

I later started playing with injectors.

I don’t expect an NA truck to gain 50 hp, modifications made to a turbo engine will compound those of an NA engine. But I do know that the 05-06 intake will make a difference. Especially if you have long tube headers. And for sure if you have a turbo. I recommend buying one from your local wrecking yard. They typically sell for $150-$250 with fuel rails, which you’ll need.

As for the injectors, for anyone on the fence. Hang back. Watch what happens. Don’t jump on a band wagon and buy on a few guys word.

As guys get these on their trucks, you will see more and more positive testimonial. That is far more convincing than dyno sheets. Real, actual members of the forum seeing a real difference. These are huge in tundras right now.

Better fuel atomization isn’t placebo. It’s science. If the droplets are smaller the liquid gas will vaporize sooner and more completely so less gas is blown out the tailpipe only partially burnt. This causes you to step on the gas pedal less. Which increases fuel economy.

It is afterall the vapor which is being ignited since liquid gasoline doesn’t burn.

In other vehicle groups upgraded injectors are super common and known to be a performance increase.

I’m actually ashamed of myself. I’ve been a leader in Tundra performance modifications for the last 15 years and I had never looked into injectors. I just assumed that there was no benefit to them on a vehicle that can’t be tuned. Well I was wrong. A friend of mine did a 4hole upgrade on his older land cruiser. Stock is a one hole squirter (not vaporizer lol). So I looked into an upgrade for our 4.7. I was astounded when I found out that I could affordably build an upgraded injector for our trucks.

I have since run no less than 10 sets of various prototype injectors. This is on my 03, remote mount low boost, 05-06 manifold, jba long tube headers, running on e85 daily driver nonetheless. I’ve had it on the dyno (full throttle) and the above modifications were good for full 100hp over stock.

Anybody else with any questions please post em up here. I’ll do my best to help.

A lot of what you're talking about should show up on a dyno or a data log. Without that, in my mind, there is no "performance gain". Testimonials are great for snake oil. ;) You can install a flashy, colorful, yet more restrictive open element air filter and get more than half customers to swear the car "feels" quicker.

If it doesn't show up at full throttle, do some runs at partial throttle. You can map the throttle inputs to power production after the fact and see any differences - or see the lack of difference.

Shoot me some raw data and I'd be happy to produce charts/graphs and data analysis out the wazoo. I do it for a living these days (albeit not for engine dyno data).

Subscribed. Would love to see a solution to increase power without breaking the bank. I don't usually keep a vehicle a long time as i like to play with modding a new toy but i keep looking for something better but it appears to be non existent. I will likely keep my LX for a long time and a bit of power would be nice......

Agreeing with @suprarx7nut in asking for some dyno data, raw logs should not be a problem to get. I'm struggling to understand any 'improved feel' that does not show as a torque bump....

I would also like to hear about the improved gas mileage this better atomization is generating. You could sell me on this upgrade just by saying it would give me an extra 0.5 mpg - I want as much range as I can get for trips in the wastelands and it sounds like the what, $300? would be a fast return on investment for someone commuting in their cruiser.

Very interested to read how this plays out.

@dirtydeeds
Question: how are you adding the 50hp worth of fuel? I assume a piggyback fuel controller and tuning is required? Or can the stock AFM read the increased air flow thru the Tundra intake, and then the stock ECU increase the fuel based on the stock maps?

Those were my initial thoughts as well. But after talking to a couple of Tundra guys that have done the injector upgrade they all said it was well worth it. They all said their trucks just seemed to just run better. Because the fuel was being burnt completely it made for better throttle response, didn't feel as sluggish off the line and made things just feel smoother. I asked at what mileage they had changed them and none of them had over 40,000 miles when they did the upgrade. He said also that he'd sold hundreds of sets of these injectors and hadn't had any come back because they didn't perform.

Link or info on the injector upgrades

Agreeing with @suprarx7nut in asking for some dyno data, raw logs should not be a problem to get. I'm struggling to understand any 'improved feel' that does not show as a torque bump....

I would also like to hear about the improved gas mileage this better atomization is generating. You could sell me on this upgrade just by saying it would give me an extra 0.5 mpg - I want as much range as I can get for trips in the wastelands and it sounds like the what, $300? would be a fast return on investment for someone commuting in their cruiser.

Very interested to read how this plays out.

We want data! inquiring minds want to know.

I'd also be willing to do some post processing on the data, I can make some sweet MATLAB plots :)

subbed

Interested and awaiting more info
Thanks @Gassiper for being the GP

part number on the toyota tundra intake anyone? i guess I would need the rail numbers also. At least I'm looking for them. Or is it that the LCs from 2005 already have this one?

Last edited:
$250 intake, $300 worth of injectors.. so into it at least $600 for what would be, at best, 10-15 hp in a ~6000 pound truck. That's 1/2 the way to a nice front bumper, or paying for a lift, etc...

Injectors were waiting on me this morning at the shop! But...discovered lightning got both of our AC units over the weekend so I'm tryin to get that straightened out with insurance but looks like it'll be tomorrow before I can get them in. We've gotten spoiled on working in the AC for the last 18 years...not about to change now!

This requires a new intake?

No, but swapping in the 05+ manifold is basically the equivalent of having the stock intake polished since it’s smooth plastic inside, plus there’s less heat soak and it’s way lighter and easier to remove.

Injectors were waiting on me this morning at the shop! But...discovered lightning got both of our AC units over the weekend so I'm tryin to get that straightened out with insurance but looks like it'll be tomorrow before I can get them in. We've gotten spoiled on working in the AC for the last 18 years...not about to change now!
If you're about to install them does that mean you've done your baseline dyno run? Can you post that?

If no longer going the dyno run each step because of cost/distance/etc, can you get one of the gps/accelerometer apps (hopefully someone can make a recommendation?) so we have some data for posterity? There is very little out there and with your stepped approach it would be awesome for the community to see the progress!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom