July ROTM - West Clear Creek Saturday 7/21/18 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Going in on the south side , 142a, is a shorter steep hike. It enters the canyon about where the high lines cross the canyon. It's probably quicker because Maxwell and Tramway on the north take the time to switch back and forth. The hike is longer by distance . The south trails just kinda go straight down. I once took a 100 quart ice chest full of ice cream down the high line trail with the help of Rob Bonney who worked
for me and now has his own business. We were preparing to meet a dozen kids from a Sunnyslope Grade School his mother taught at.
She brought them on a field trip to the canyon.

Part way in on the 142a there's a newly labelled road that takes you to the edge just above the Red Tank. From there you can hike to Hanging Gardens. I believe that road is labelled 142j . It was never labelled until the last 5 years or so. There's only one major fork on the 142a and it's the left fork.

My first trip to the canyon was summer after 7th grade. My dad dropped myself and my friend Brent at the top of Tramway with backpacks and came back four days later. Brent and I were going to "live off the land". We brought only a little oatmeal and fishing poles. Brent's family was pretty outdoorsy. His dad was head of Game and Fish. We drank the water right from the stream . No fancy filters. Still perhaps my favorite place in the state. I must have hiked down the canyon 50 times since on one trail or another

IMG_0049r.jpg

P1010040r.jpg

P1010058.JPG

P1010067c.jpg

I will be in Maryland visiting the folks and eating all the seafood humanly possible. The hike down and back up is not horrible, it will however make you regret that last whopper with cheese.

Going in on the south side , 142a, is a shorter steep hike. It enters the canyon about where the high lines cross the canyon. It's probably quicker because Maxwell and Tramway on the north take the time to switch back and forth. The hike is longer by distance . The south trails just kinda go straight down. I once took a 100 quart ice chest full of ice cream down the high line trail with the help of Rob Bonney who worked
for me and now has his own business. We were preparing to meet a dozen kids from a Sunnyslope Grade School his mother taught at.
She brought them on a field trip to the canyon.

Part way in on the 142a there's a newly labelled road that takes you to the edge just above the Red Tank. From there you can hike to Hanging Gardens. I believe that road is labelled 142j . It was never labelled until the last 5 years or so. There's only one major fork on the 142a and it's the left fork.

My first trip to the canyon was summer after 7th grade. My dad dropped myself and my friend Brent at the top of Tramway with backpacks and came back four days later. Brent and I were going to "live off the land". We brought only a little oatmeal and fishing poles. Brent's family was pretty outdoorsy. His dad was head of Game and Fish. We drank the water right from the stream . No fancy filters. Still perhaps my favorite place in the state. I must have hiked down the canyon 50 times since on one trail or another

View attachment 1729210

View attachment 1729219

View attachment 1729220

View attachment 1729226
Great pics this is the area I was talking about at the meeting!

Sounds like a fun no-stress trip!

Can't beat free maps!

Below maps are from Coconino West Clear Creek webpage at:

Coconino National Forest - West Clear Creek Wilderness

And the ever popular Motor Vehicle Use Maps (2018 updates)

Coconino National Forest - Projects

Download Free GPS-Enabled Travel Maps for Your Device
The digital 2018 Travel Map is free, and can be used on your Android or Apple iOS smartphone or tablet, or your Garmin GPS.

The peak is 12,660 ft. I was just comparing the elevation gain.

Most people that I have gone up with tap out at the saddle which is 11,300 feet.

I tapped out at the saddle because my hair was standing a foot straight up in the air. Figured the lightening was a sign I should turn around....

I tapped out at the saddle because my hair was standing a foot straight up in the air. Figured the lightening was a sign I should turn around....

Should probably stay off the Peaks during the monsoon. Would have a hard time using hair standing up and time to leave.:rolleyes:

Should probably stay off the Peaks during the monsoon. Would have a hard time using hair standing up and time to leave.:rolleyes:

It was over Memorial Day weekend a few years ago. Beautiful day starting out. Halfway up a snow storm rolled in. 8 inches of snow by the time we got to the saddle. Suddenly the snow storm turned into a thunderstorm, hair straight up, you could actually hear the electricity in the air. Anyway yeah, clostest to death I've ever been (that I am aware of). Stupidly stopped the decent to take a picture.

fuzvs67.jpg

That image defines a hair raising incident... moments from catastrophe. Wow.

My pre run for this is going to be more of a pre hike. I am going to take a weekend or two and hike several of the trails to the water and decide which has the best safety to swimming hole quality ratio. Nothing ruins a good weekend like an injury

My pre run for this is going to be more of a pre hike. I am going to take a weekend or two and hike several of the trails to the water and decide which has the best safety to swimming hole quality ratio. Nothing ruins a good weekend like an injury
Hike safe!

@lcwizard stunning pictures Dave, thanks for sharing! I have read about this area many times-looks like some thing I need at checkout. @Dimples I would be interested in a pre hike as well. Not sure if July 21 would work, probably going to be out of town. Tom

How steep is Calloway trail off 142?

@Dimples are you going to hike early on 7/7?

Ya might just drive up Friday night and scout and hike early.

@Dimples so there are primitive camping areas up top before descending into the Canyon?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom