Doug Thorley Headers fit on 1998? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

After towing a 3500# camper across the Rocky Mountains, I’m looking into some power upgrades for the truck. After looking at the gains from the Doug Thorley headers, I’m thinking that’s a solid place to start. As I’ve been searching for pricing and availability, I continue to see the header listed for the 99-04 - not including the 98. Does anybody know why the 98 is left out? Will these actually work on a 98?

P/N THY-561-SS-C

Appreciate any help you can provide!

Cheers,

Court

Thanks ... it's so weird I was searching on my iPad and the Doug Thorley site didn't even show that they stocked anything for the 100 Series - now at work on my laptop and it pops right up. Anyway, thanks for pointing out the obvious for me!

How much power do those headers add?

Has anyone installed these and run into any issues in california?

Has anyone installed these and run into any issues in california?

I have a set on my '99. They are great if you have cracked manifolds but don't add much performance ( >0 but not much ).

Search around here but they were going to be CA legal but I don't think it ever happened so yeah you'd likely have issues without a C.A.R.B. cert for the headers... people were kinda upset. This could have changed I haven't stayed close to it as it does not affect me in CO.

Local shop quoted 14 hours labor for install. Said that Toyota book time is 13 - 15 hours depending on where you look. OUCH. I was willing to pay for 7-8 hours. They said they would charge less if it took less time, but they have to CYA with the 14 hour quote just in case it takes more so they don't screw themselves.

Local shop quoted 14 hours labor for install. Said that Toyota book time is 13 - 15 hours depending on where you look. OUCH. I was willing to pay for 7-8 hours. They said they would charge less if it took less time, but they have to CYA with the 14 hour quote just in case it takes more so they don't screw themselves.

Who quoted you that length? I had Slee install mine because I'm OCD and wanted studs replaced too and didn't feel like backing old studs out of the head, potentially dealing with snapping a stud, then retapping, blah blah blah. Anyway, they did it for 6 or 8 hours of labor... can't really remember, that was a few years ago.

Mike at Bump It gave me the name of a dude down in Loveland that he has had work on his Cruisers for years. I have never used him as I do all of my work myself (except for header installations obviously lol), but have saved his info just in case I need him for any larger reason. He owns an oil change shop but has a garage on the back side where he will wrench on larger projects.

Dale's Mobile One Express - 970.635.0200

Give him a try and see what he has to say... might save you a buck or two? Who knows.

Thanks for the info @willbt I'll give Slee a ring as well as Dale. Fort Collins 4x4 quoted me the 14 hours. They haven't done it before and were hesitant to quote anything less. They said they would charge less if they got it done quicker.

UPDATE: Slee does not install DT Headers anymore due to "too many come-backs with that particular product" - bummer.

UPDATE #2: Dale's quoted 14 hours, same as FTC 4x4 - everyone sticking to the book on quotes.

Last edited:
Yes, haha, but if you have the RIGHT tools, and can follow directions of how tos, you can do it. The drivers side is twice as difficult because of the steering shaft so I did passenger first to see how tough it really was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom