Builds The '93 Troopy Hodgepodge (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I saw you're planning on running an auto tranny. Any reason you didn't want to keep it manual? What sort of manual options exist that mate to a Toyota TC? Could you possibly run an H55 behind an LS/LQ engine? Or is that asking for immediate gearbox failure?

Just personal preference for wheeling. I much prefer manual transmissions for street driving (I have 3 80s era BMWs that are all manuals), but for climbing rocks, going up/down mountains and sand driving, I just prefer an auto box. The 6L80 will need a little tuning to get right though. That said, I have nothing against using manual off-roading. I understand their appeal for sure.

If you wanted to stick with a Toyota transmission, Marks4wd makes a Chevy to H55 (as well as the H151 and H150 too I think) adaptor which would make that easy. From what I understand the H55 is stout enough for a V8, not sure about the H151 or H150. If you wanted to use an LS based manual transmission there are a few options including a 4wd converted T56 (I hated my T56 in my other project car, too notchy but some people like that feel), or the spinoff of the T56, the TR6060 can be converted to 4wd. You'd probably have to use a non-Toyota TC, probably Atlas or similar, though as I don't know of an adaptor for that.

Hahaha, if you feel the need to go out of your way to be an a****** in this thread for no reason, then I think it's obvious who has the issues in this situation. Acting like a tough guy on the internet is easy though...

Either way, enjoy being on the ignore list.

Join the club... THE YOU'RE A WASTE OF MY TIME CLUB... I opened a thread the other day that was 3 pages long with only 6 readable posts.... HA!

Are you thinking about any kind of camper situation with the Troopy rear or sticking to Oztent (or something else)?

Are you thinking about any kind of camper situation with the Troopy rear or sticking to Oztent (or something else)?

There are four options;

1) Trakka poptop. It follows the roof lines much better and appears to be less heavy than option 2 however not nearly as well constructed. Also, I don't know if they're even available anymore.

2) Alu-Cab Hercules roof top conversion. High quality. Insanely expensive. Not that heavy (175# net increase).

3) When I build out the cargo area for storage, incorporate a sleeping platform. There's a silly amount of room in a Troopy so that'll be easy to do, but I'd still like a place to stand-up which that doesn't fix.

4) Just shove the OzTent in there and pull that out when needed.

First choice is the Alu-Cab, second is a sleeping platform... until I can afford the Alu-Cab.

So like this and possibly a similar color too but I'm considering Line-X as I will get sick of buffing out pin-stripes. But with adult tires (35s at least)

IMG_0273.jpg

One of my customers rigs I did some work on.

Lots of room inside, look past the rubble inside...

J

View attachment 1727358 View attachment 1727359

View attachment 1727361

Interesting, what roof is that?

I do like the side tracks. Quick-Pitch (they also make gullwing windows which I have 2 on order) makes a MaxTrax/Table combo that can get bolted to the side that I'm considering ordering. It's a bit bulky though but can hold 4 trax.

Andrew White's Troopy that I'm stealing many ideas from:

A7R00794_800.jpg

A7R00849_800.jpg

Interesting, what roof is that?

I do like the side tracks. Quick-Pitch (they also make gullwing windows which I have 2 on order) makes a MaxTrax/Table combo that can get bolted to the side that I'm considering ordering. It's a bit bulky though but can hold 4 trax.

Andrew White's Troopy that I'm stealing many ideas from:

A7R00794_800.jpg

A7R00849_800.jpg
Got a link for the Quick Pitch gull-wing windows? I’m pondering a set from EmuWing but interested in any other options before making the purchase.

Got a link for the Quick Pitch gull-wing windows? I’m pondering a set from EmuWing but interested in any other options before making the purchase.

They aren't listed on their site.

That pic above is of them and here are a few more:

Quick Pitch Campers

You'll have to email Quick-Pitch for the order. They're pretty damn slow to respond. I accepted their invoice a few days ago but still haven't received a payment option.

Price is about $400 each for the windows and $175 for the storage box like the pic above. I went with two windows and one storage box, so one window will just be open/pass-through.

Home - Quick Pitch

They aren't listed on their site.

That pic above is of them and here are a few more:

Quick Pitch Campers

You'll have to email Quick-Pitch for the order. They're pretty damn slow to respond. I accepted their invoice a few days ago but still haven't received a payment option.

Price is about $400 each for the windows and $175 for the storage box like the pic above. I went with two windows and one storage box, so one window will just be open/pass-through.

Home - Quick Pitch
Good to know. That’s about half the cost of the EmuWings. I’ll shoot them an email and see what kind of options they have. Thx.

I think that yellow Troopy is a Maltec truck...... super cool campers.

Maltec.org

Their full campers are way cool. They have a US branch in CO which is pretty cool.

The rooftop conversion sounds awesome. I like the Andrew White setup... the conversion definitely compensates for the drawbacks of a heavy RTT. I recall seeing the flip-down table Maxtrax thing a while back and got the crazy idea of a closing in a nook between the sheet metal but wasn't sure how much volume is in there. It'd be almost like a "gull-wing" piece of the body... no way that can go wrong, lol.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

The rooftop conversion sounds awesome. I like the Andrew White setup... the conversion definitely compensates for the drawbacks of a heavy RTT. I recall seeing the flip-down table Maxtrax thing a while back and got the crazy idea of a closing in a nook between the sheet metal but wasn't sure how much volume is in there. It'd be almost like a "gull-wing" piece of the body... no way that can go wrong, lol.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

That would be interesting. There's a fair bit of space behind the outer sheetmetal. Chopping into the body would creep me out. I think a decent compromise is the gullwings with the cupboard. We'll see.

Perhaps you'll see it at LCXC 2.0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom