A post I wrote on radio communication options int the USA (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Pretty good Chad, truly great research and writing. I taught a class with Alan Sines (another Extra Class HAM) at the Overland Expo East this year, we paraphrased a lot of what you have, identifying the pluses and negatives for each type of service. We did recommend for everyone to at least get Technician licensed, with amateur radio having the most versatility and range thanks to towers.

Great article thanks. Is there such a thing as a single radio (perhaps transmitting with different power outputs and frequencies) that can work for HAM, CB and FSR?

Great article thanks. Is there such a thing as a single radio (perhaps transmitting with different power outputs and frequencies) that can work for HAM, CB and FSR?
The short answer is no.
However the inexpensive Baofeng radios will do 2M and 70CM ham as well as FRS and GMRS.
CB radio is in its own realm of dead/stagnant technology and should be left alone to die.

Actually the short answer is yes.
Is it legal? No. But they are out there.
You also need to consider antenna compatibility between bands. There is no good compromise antenna which will work on 11m and 2m.

The short answer is no.
However the inexpensive Baofeng radios will do 2M and 70CM ham as well as FRS and GMRS.
CB radio is in its own realm of dead/stagnant technology and should be left alone to die.

I got all excited about this. A blend of Ham and FRS would be great. But I looked up some info and found most Baofeng radios have a part 90 acceptance if they have any at all. They would need a part 95B to be legal for use as an FRS radio. So I don’t think they can play in both realms legally.

That’s correct the only B-Tech radio that can legally be used on the GMRS/FRS channels is the GRMS-1.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom