Events/Trails Moab in July (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Heading to Moab for a few days in July and am looking for camping and trail suggestions. I'll be in a lifted 200, 33" KO2's on 17" Rock warriors, BudBuilt sliders, but no other armor. Factory skids and no bumpers or winch. This will be my 1st time off-road in Moab. I have some experience, but not MOAB level experience. Sedona is about as close as I've got and done some red rock trails there (Broken Arrow ect). I am eager to get out and have some fun while we are there. I'll have little kids along and be towing a MOAB Fort XL tent/trailer so i want fun, but not rock crawling, severe damage, my wife is gonna kill me type of fun.

1) Looking for campsite suggestions.
I've gotten plenty of vague advice but looking for specific options. If anybody has GPS coordinates of their favorite sites PM me if you don't want to post publicly. I'll promise to keep the secret. I imagine its gonna be hot as Hell in July so if there are any places slightly cooler without those sand flees i hear about that'd be awesome. Looking for dispersed and/or BLM stuff, not into big crowds. Is Moab crowded in July? I have the toilet and toilet tent and stuff needed for BLM camping. Planning on camping in Valley Of the Gods 1 night, then driving up to Moab the next morning and staying 2-3 nights

2) Looking for must do trail suggestions.
Again, not looking for what is the most extreme, but what trails are must do's and would be still fun with a family along. if any of these trails also have good campsite options that is plus too. Hoping I can find a good spot the 1st day, set up camp, and leave the trailer, so i won't have to drag it along on all the trails.

This is probably more of a "camping" thread post, but the 200 forum is just ever so active, and I know you all have spent a LOT of time in Moab in your 200's

If remote is what you want, we just did the Lockhart Basin trail on the way down to Expo West. Didn't see another human for three full days. There is one big climb when you turn off the road to Chicken Corners but once you get past that it's not bad. For that climb, if you have a good spotter and don't mind 'building some road' (moving rocks) you can cover the mile in about 4 hours. IIRC there's an early episode of Expedition Overland where a 100 with a trailer did that same climb. I did get a few rear bumper 'tatoos', but part of that was having too light of rear springs on a heavy truck.

The other place I'd go would be down in the Needles District.

If you go that way, I can give you a few good spots. Here's one:

Lockhart 2.JPG
Lockhart.JPG

If remote is what you want, we just did the Lockhart Basin trail on the way down to Expo West. Didn't see another human for three full days. There is one big climb when you turn off the road to Chicken Corners but once you get past that it's not bad. For that climb, if you have a good spotter and don't mind 'building some road' (moving rocks) you can cover the mile in about 4 hours. IIRC there's an early episode of Expedition Overland where a 100 with a trailer did that same climb. I did get a few rear bumper 'tatoos', but part of that was having too light of rear springs on a heavy truck.

The other place I'd go would be down in the Needles District.

If you go that way, I can give you a few good spots. Here's one:

View attachment 1722835 View attachment 1722836
I’ll rewatch that early xoverland now. I don’t think my wife would be classified as a “good spotter”, might have better luck with my 8 year old . I don’t know if I need that remote, but it sounds cool.
The Needles spot looks awesome i’ll PM you for details.

When are you going to be in Moab?
How do you feel about rear bumper scrapes?
Also, Moab is going to be hot as balls in July.
Valley of the Gods is awesome but there are only a few camp spots.
Driving up from Phoenix mid July. Was planning on Valley if the Gods that 1st night, you think I’ll be able to find a spot at that time? Any backup options you’d recommend in that area? So, hot as balls, copy that. Rear Bumper scrapes, copy that. As long as it’s just scrapes, not ripping the bumper off I’m cool with that, it’s on the future upgrade list. So, that being said, do you have suggestions for campsites and trails that might be good that time of year?

We did the Colorado River Overlook in the Needles. It’s 7 miles out, 7 back. The first few miles are sand and dirt, it gets rockier toward the last couple miles. A few steep-ish spots but the 200 handled everything fine, only one light scrape on a slide
D811DFA2-391B-475D-BF9F-27E2A8CBF4C0.jpeg

I recommend going into Island in the Sky via Potash Road and leaving via Pucker Pass, if it’s open. It’s an easy trail but much nicer than the main park entrance. We forked off left and took White Rim Road for about 5 miles before doubling back into the park.
D8D53D13-E2A8-4916-AB47-EAA4F703DF61.jpeg

If you want a 2-3 day trip get an overnight permit and do White Rim. Someone around here can comment but you could probably pull a turtle back around it.

We camped at Ken’s Landing (I think that was the name) a few miles south of Moab. It’s a federal campground, but few people were there in early August. We saw lots of small federal campgrounds along the east road into Moab and along some of the roads west of Moab, all along the river. Most were full, some had space. Recreation.gov will show you the first come first served sites. When I’m traveling far I like to try and book something unless we plan to be way off grid because I hate rolling in at 8pm and not finding an FCFS site, but almost all of Moab was FCFS and it was fine

Driving up from Phoenix mid July. Was planning on Valley if the Gods that 1st night, you think I’ll be able to find a spot at that time? Any backup options you’d recommend in that area? So, hot as balls, copy that. Rear Bumper scrapes, copy that. As long as it’s just scrapes, not ripping the bumper off I’m cool with that, it’s on the future upgrade list. So, that being said, do you have suggestions for campsites and trails that might be good that time of year?

Ah, If you were coming earlier in July I'd drive down and meet up.

I'm not sure how crowded Valley of the Gods will be in July. Last time we got lucky and there was only one decent spot left we snagged. But me mindful of the possibilty of not having a site in the valley. It could very well be empty though since it's July. Make sure you wake up early to see the sunrise in the Valley, it's pretty damn awesome. I've only done very dispersed camping in that area so nothing that would work for you.

Otherwise, I'd go with White Rim or Needles if you don't have a decent spotter and/or don't want to do the more 'challanging' trails.

How did i miss that book?. I bought the AZ version a couple years ago, and its been my bible for getting to know the trails here. No idea they made a Utah version. I bought this book back in winter and i hate the format:

https://www.amazon.com/Utah-Byways-...preST=_SY291_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

Anyways, thank for the tip. I just bought the spiral bound version :clap:

@DPA200 Yep they make a Utah and two Colorado books (one just called "Colorado", the other "Northern Colorado").

If you're planning to come to the LCDC buy the Colorado book too. Or IIRC you can buy all the Funtreks guides in iOS/Android form for the cost of 2 books

I did the Kokopelli Trail and Dome Plateau in early May before Cruise Moab. I will PM you with my GPX of the trails. There is some great camping that I discovered that I marked. These were BLM. I didn't do Rose Garden. After coming out of Dome Plateau, I went down the highway to Onion Creek. Really pretty road and picked up the Kokopelli trail AFTER Rose Garden. Then, before you get to Sand Flats Road, there is some great camping. So, I was more North and East of Moab and came in on Sand Flats after Kokopelli.

I did the Kokopelli Trail and Dome Plateau in early May before Cruise Moab. I will PM you with my GPX of the trails. There is some great camping that I discovered that I marked. These were BLM. I didn't do Rose Garden. After coming out of Dome Plateau, I went down the highway to Onion Creek. Really pretty road and picked up the Kokopelli trail AFTER Rose Garden. Then, before you get to Sand Flats Road, there is some great camping. So, I was more North and East of Moab and came in on Sand Flats after Kokopelli.

We are heading to Moab next week in my 200. Same setup- Ironman lift, KO2s, sliders. Would appreciate suggestions for trails we can do during the day, but we are staying in a condo with A/C and a pool. Wife unit is not amenable to desert camping scenarios.

We are heading to Moab next week in my 200. Same setup- Ironman lift, KO2s, sliders. Would appreciate suggestions for trails we can do during the day, but we are staying in a condo with A/C and a pool. Wife unit is not amenable to desert camping scenarios.
Let me know what you end up doing and how it works out after your trip.

Well, still debating hotel vs camping in Moab. We'll have our dog along so that limits our hotel options too.

As far as day #1 goes, driving up from Phoenix, if we camp I'm into the idea of camping up the Dugway at Muley Point. I believe its over 6000ft so should be a tad bit cooler just for the one night.

Morning #2 driving up to Moab (assuming i just take the 191 but open to route suggestions). At this point either need hotel, or to get to a campsite and set up basecamp. I want to get the trailer off and setup somewhere so i can be free of that for a couple days to explore some of the great trail suggestions I've got from this thread. I also received some great campsite advice on specific spots from Oregon LC that are off the Chicken Corners trail. Looks like id basically just go from Moab, over Hurrah Pass, down about the 1st half of the chicken corners trail. Does anyone think I'll have any difficulty with the trailer getting that far? Its about 15 miles (google says 1hr) from Moab. Gonna be hot, i get it, could be a horrible idea, i know, still debating it. Hopefully just planning on being there early am and overnight and have a spot with some shade.

An alternate option i also got from OregonLC was to:

"explore the Dixie National Forrest. It's high forest (7,000-10,000) so I would imagine it would be relatively cool, even in July. Google Cedar Breaks National Monument if you want to see a good place to hub your stay"

Has anybody else been in this area and think this would be worth just abandoning the Moab plan due to heat? The only locked in plans ( with actual campsite reservations) are Grand Teton and Yellowstone. So basically any way up from home in Phoenix, thru Colorado or Utah, and any alternate way back I'm open to suggestions. There very well might be areas or routes that might be better in July. I was looking forward to Moab, but could just as easily be excited about something else. The return trip down from Yellowstone i don't really have mapped out more than a loose route through western Utah into Grand Canyon but still will need to find camping on the way back home too.

thoughts?

As always, if you PM me actual GPS coordinates of campsites i greatly appreciate it, and I promise I won't share the coordinates, as to keep your Epic spots epic.

Here is a loose map of what I'm looking at, as of today. I definitely received enough feedback saying camping in Moab in July is probably not the best idea.... I'm starting to listen .

I'm thinking of reversing the route i originally planned. Instead of 2-3 days in Moab area, I'll drive from Phoenix, to SW Utah instead and spend 2-3 days there exploring. So, using Dixie National Forrest, Cedar Breaks National Monument as basecamp to enjoy the cooler temp's at that higher elevation. Does anybody have suggestions for remote or dispersed camping in this area?
Also my newly purchased Moab Backroads book doesnt have this part of Utah in it so any trail advice on what dirt to explore in this region would be greatly appreciated.

After 2-3 days there, taking scenic Hwy 12 from Bryce to Torrey, Utah, Capitol Reef National Park. Then onto Gran Teton via Idaho. The part here i dont have figured out is where to stay 1 night between Bryce and Grand Teton to break up that long drive. Also, any ideas or routes that'd be better than driving through Salt Lake City? Anything interesting or anywhere good to see/stay in NW Utah?

Teton and Yellowstone for 1+ weeks at their formal campgrounds, just going around being tourists.

On the return trip avoiding salt lake City by coming down from Yellowstone through Flaming Gorge and Dinosaur National Monument. Dip into Colorado through Frutia, then over to Moab. Probably just do 1 night in a hotel in Moab then and hit up 1-2 trails. I'm pretty set on doing Hells Revenge as my 1st choice.

After Moab, driving through Valley of the Gods just to see it, then back to Phoenix.

Let me know what you guys think and if you have any advice or routes or things I'm missing. Like i said, the Teton and Yellowstone is the only part i have reservations, the rest I'm just winging it and up for exploring.

map.png

Looks good.
Out of that entire route Yellowstone is my favorite spot. It's like driving through a Planet Earth documentary. Very cool spot. Big ass Bison just trotting along next to your vehicle could easily just walk into you.

That and Ogden if you like being murdered by a different species of animal.

Looks good.
Out of that entire route Yellowstone is my favorite spot. It's like driving through a Planet Earth documentary. Very cool spot. Big ass Bison just trotting along next to your vehicle could easily just walk into you.

That and Ogden if you like being murdered by a different species of animal.
Yellowstone sounds awesome. Ogden is probably pretty low on my destination list so I’ll be ok skipping it. Any SW Utah trail suggestions you’ve done in Zion, Bryce area?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom