Will a split transfer case from an 82 HJ47 fit an earlier 4 speed gearbox? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've taken my HJ47 to the mechanic because the transfer case is rooted. I supplied a good condition split transfer case. He's taken the old one off to put the new one on and is telling me that the output shaft of the gearbox is rooted from running without oil. (I just bout the thing a few months ago, not my fault)

I've got an older gearbox here that I was going to use the transfer case off but it's the wrong kind of transfer case (the earlier, single piece type)

Will the newer split transfer case fit onto the older gearbox? Or is the gearbox different as well?

Pretty much I have 2 gearboxs/transfer cases.
1 with a split transfer case, and one with a single piece transfer case.

One of them has a broken gearbox, one has a broken transfer case.

Can the transfer cases be swapped around so I have the good gearbox with the good transfer case?

Or with they simply not fit onto each other?

He says the gearbox will still go just not sure for how long it'll last.

Thanks for any input.

For starters your older gear box should have a 16 spline output shaft, and the newer split case takes a 19 spline shaft. Others will chime in with more specific info.

So they wont fit?
I don't know what's on the output side of the gearboxs because the both have t-cases on the back.

The split t-case has a 19 spline and the one piece one has a 10 spline. So the gearboxs are different then?

Is it the output shaft of the gearbox or the output of the transfer case that's damaged ?

The output shaft of the gearbox.
He tells me he can just put the new transfer case on and it'll drive, but he's not sure for how long it will survive. Could be weeks or years. Reckons it should be fine once I get oil in there though. But while I've got this older box just sitting here, I thought I'd just see if that one eould fit and he could put that one in instead of leaving one that might blow up on me.

If it won't fit I'll just leave the current box in with thr new t-case and see how long she goes on.

Hopefully I'm explaining all this well enough

Last edited:

Is that you Tony? This yarn sounds familiar to the one where there was a bloke I called recently who was tuck roadside about 400km from home in Canberra.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom