The Legend of Spacegirl. One man tries to please his wife and his cruiser. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I was going to type a real long life story about how I met my wife, Spacegirl, and why we are dumping sweat, blood and money into a 96 land cruiser, but I couldn’t figure out a reason why you should care. The basics are she’s a rocket scientist, I’m a first responder, and we out grew my taco when we spawned a kid last year. I was going to build a 93, and do some sort of engine swap, but my lack of college education results in EWD causing more anxiety than opium overdoses. She does CFD and EWD’s are not her strong suit either. Between our buddy John, and NLXtacy’s turbo project, we managed a do-over with this 1996 two tone.

From the factory it had leather, open diffs, and some undesirable tire size, however when I flew out to AZ to pick it up, she was rolling on dirty-fives, Harrops installed in the diffs but not wired, geared for 37’s, metal tech front/4x4 labs rear bumpers, leather had been replaced with high quality cloth, prinsu rack, and because he’s a sweet guy, it came with a domestic 2.8 fridge, snorkel, and a puma air compressor.

The bad, well, missing a flare, little bit of rust here and there, and the AZ sun has ate up all the things it could, like the dash, window seals, and paint. If anyone knows who had it before John, I’ve heard it may have had a build thread here, or on pirate. I’d love to read it.
FED603CD-A03C-4972-8AA7-8AD06EB6FF84.jpeg

I took delivery and started the drive back the following day.

Plans-
Exterior
Cut hood, install louver insert for better air flow/cooling - completed 3/19
Deflare and remove the rest of factory rack and plug all holes (looking at steelstick JB Weld and aluminum taking the inside) - completed 3/19
Monstaline white/black accents - white complete 3/19
Depo headlights/clear corners with lifetime LED’s - done 6/12/18
Modify prinsu rack to better accommodate Alu-Can expo 3 tent - complete 8/18

Engine
Replace power steering lines (return line seaping feed line replaced 6/12/18)
Cooling system refresh - all lines purchased through Wits End including heater control valve, 7/20/19
Fusible link and track down reason it blew
Wits end turbo!!! installed 2020

Interior
Needs speakers throughout- DONE
Update headunit to something with CarPlay
Needs good off grid GPS app with secondary device. Would also like storage for GoPro and drone video for the wife to play with. I prefer touch screen.

Homemade rear storage with center mount for fridge and combo slide. Need to convert camp stove from 40lbs propane hookup to the smaller 1 lbs units I can store more easily. - completed 8/18 redone to more conventional style drawers in 2020

Current mod list as of 6/22
Front end
Wits End TURBOOOOOOO
Metal tech tube front bumper
Warn 10k winch
Lifetime LED 22” and 2-2” pods with Amber side bars
93 front grill and lower cowling
Depo headlights with cheap low beams and lifetime LED fanless high beams
Clear corners
Trackspec Motorsports 3 piece hood louvers
Amazon special snorkel
Duracell AGM 31M in stock location this needs aftermarket charge controller and was replaced with a Duracell flooded lead acid 31M
Photoman 130 amp Tundra alternator bracket and new OEM alternator
LandCruiser Phil’s 31M tie down
LandCruiser Phil’s front sway quick disconnects

Body
Yotateq mirror mounts for another pair of lifetime LED 2” pods with amber side bars
Monstaliner white with black accents on door handles and body line, Monstaliner is pealing at the black accents and will be redone in plain white
Prinsu roof rack with all cross bars lowered
Alucab Expedition 3 RTT

Rear
4x4 labs dual swing out with spare tire and jerry can holder
Final pair of lifetime led 2” pods with amber side bars
Lifetime LED license plate lights
2 gallon air tank in stock spare location
ARB air fitting on driver side swing out with Wits End air fitting pacifier
Wits End air fitting with SB50 power point on passenger swing out.

Suspension
Dobinsons MRA on all 4 corners
Dobinsons flexi coil @ 2.5" lift with heavy rear
Delta rear panhard bracket
Delta front lower control arms in the 3L configuration
Whiteline HD front and rear swaybars

Interior
ARB Linx controller
Custom 6 circuit fuse and relay block in center console next to Linx brain box
Land Tanks front seat relocation kit(sourced through Wits End)
Polk audio 6.5’s in every door.
Wits End Quarter Panel Mount
ARB twin Compressor
Blue seas fuse block in rear
Homemade rear platform with CENTER mount slide and ARB 50qt Fridge
Adventure Trailers combo slide for fridge and camp stove, stove runs 1lbs propane tanks

A598DBF2-7099-4157-8327-09C67786D7A8.jpeg

009BF91D-4E3F-4591-8064-736E5D209CF2.jpeg

Note: Lifetime LEDs are no longer lifetime and it seems they went out of business during C19

Last edited:
Well, I made it 300 miles. Felt a bad vibration upon breaking, started to coast down from 70mph. As I’m taking at corner at 10 mph to get into a parking lot, I feel a lurch, and this lovely scraping sound. In the corner of my eye I see my drivers front tire falling behind until it hits the rear flare and speeds off into oncoming traffic. The two cars split in opposite direction and the wheel hits a curb and goes airborne.

As I watch it hurl toward a building in horror, I noticed the windows and doors are all boarded over as it bounces off and starts rolling back my way. Well, I better get that! So I retrieve it, and ponder my life choices.

B7A3F073-8D1A-421C-9BDB-A948AFBD7420.jpeg

$500 in tow bills, wheel studs and a rotor later I was back on the road. Near as I can figure, the wheel studs where worn and let got of a 1” wheel spacer. I didn’t even know it was on spacers at the time. I can say, there’s a notable difference in side to side handling characteristics with or without them. Replacing all the wheel studs will be done before the next major road trip.

CC1798B4-55A4-4882-81E5-F5465DF4C51D.jpeg

three days later, I pullled in front of my house, I also turned over the 300,000 mile mark on the way.

Well, I got home and got busy. The power seats where shot, and I’m a tall dude. So in the name of efficiency, I knocked out the Gamiviti gears and landtanks seat extensions. After an initial struggle with the bearings (the flew off during disassembly and I tried to put it back together wrong) I got it all buttoned up and back on in an afternoon. I also replaced the power seat controls with one that wasn’t broken, and pulled a seat recliner button off the take out seats from my 93. What a difference that made!!

I decided I’d rather have the 35’s from the 93 on the 96, and since my oldest is asking for a permit, I enlisted her help in swapping everything over. Really proud dad moment.

C55F6665-B2C8-43CB-BB2B-2209F0F0DCA5.jpeg

I had also previously installed depo’s with lifetime LED’s in low and high beam spots in the 93. Swapped those over. Decided I wanted the 93 grill too. So I pulled it, painted over all the chrome and get them installed. Here’s a half way done shot.

ACBF3743-131F-4A80-813F-830E385FE9A0.jpeg

Got it all swapped over and moved on to tackling replacing the power steering lines as I’ve got a slow leak. I got the feed line done, but ran out of daylight, and energy to do the return line. After all that struggle, I went to go to my part time job and the truck would not start.

Which brings me to today. First thought was it’s the battery. I pulled it, and found it was less than 2 years old from Costco. Doesn’t sound right for an interstate battery, so I swap in a spare I had, and hoped down to autozone. Batteries both checked out. Charging system was fine too. Wasn’t real happy with the positive terminal, so I picked up someone thing until I can order something I’m happy with, and headed back home.

Again, did not make it. Truck cut off less than a quarter mile from the house. Started with a loss of power, and severe engine vibration. So I swapped out the battery terminal al there and no juice whatsoever. Start checking on everything where I had the recent battle with the power steering lines, and find the main power line to the distributor cap has fallen off. Replace it. The plastic cap at the end of the fusible link has popped apart. New link on order, should be here tomorrow. Now just to get the windows up and get it back down the block!

Yikes! Where did you get this thing?

Also I would not use an impact on the wheel studs or you will find yourself in that parking lot again with no studs.

Yikes! Where did you get this thing?

Also I would not use an impact on the wheel studs or you will find yourself in that parking lot again with no studs.

Flew out to Phoenix. Previous owner is a good friend of mine. He only owned it for 10-12k miles. The wheel studs are on my short list. Front end will be done this month when I go through the axle. Rear will follow. That particular impact is adjustable. I always go back with a wrench to get around 75-90 ft-lbs.

Whelp, got the truck home, but need to diagnose the electrical gremlin.

Last edited:
I did loose a rear tire once on Tencha .. not a fun thing to happen when on the road .. can't imagine loosing a front one !

Ouch! BTDT twice!

lost the front left wheel on my hdj81 at 50mph about 50 miles after a tyre shop repaired a tyre!
And lost the front left off my HZJ105 at 75mph on a motorway 30 miles after swapping steel play wheels and tyres for standard alloys after a day off road.

Spoken to numerous people over the years who've lost a left side wheel of a landcruiser, but never a right side wheel.

Baptism by fire. Hopefully the HG doesn’t blow as soon as you get everything sorted on this thing.

As the old saying goes “with friends like this, who needs enemies!” :rofl:

These project trucks can turn our to be more project than truck. That is about how I've been feeling as of late. Just try to keep the long term goal in mind, as you work through these efforts!

Love the fact that your daughter is getting involved! One of my most proud moments was when my oldest daughter wanted to be the one to take the factory steps off my 100 series!

Baptism by fire. Hopefully the HG doesn’t blow as soon as you get everything sorted on this thing.

As the old saying goes “with friends like this, who needs enemies!” :rofl:

There’s another old saying, drive it till the wheels fall off.... I’m in uncharted territory now :hillbilly:

With 300k on the clock, I expected some baselining even with the service history I was advised of. Just didn’t expect it to hit me before I made it home. But all in all, nobody was hurt, and I was able to find another fender. I had planned on monsta lining it anyways.

These project trucks can turn our to be more project than truck. That is about how I've been feeling as of late. Just try to keep the long term goal in mind, as you work through these efforts!

Love the fact that your daughter is getting involved! One of my most proud moments was when my oldest daughter wanted to be the one to take the factory steps off my 100 series!

I never thought I’d be building a pair of cruisers, one for her and one for me, but having a rig to try things out on, and a spare parts rig while I’m figuring things out has been awesome so far!

I too have two cruisers in my "barn". Only, they are of different vintages... 80 and 100. Overall, I have found my 80 easier to work on, but requiring more attention than the 100. Of course, the 80 has about 100K more miles on it and more owners to boot.

This year alone, we have rebuilt the engine (top and bottom, with all new pistons, rings, valves, and fuel injectors), replaced the steering box, replaced the brake booster and master cylinder, and I'm just starting on my "to do list". Sometime within the next year, I'll add new suspension, new tires, and rebuild of the 1st and 2nd seat rows, with the addition of seat heaters to the front row. Stereo sounds nice... :grinpimp:

I just keep trying to focus on the years of life ahead of this... :beer: Enjoy!

I know that rig! That’s mine next to it. I took a guy all the way to Benson to buy it out of a barnyard. It was pretty toasty back then.

Mmmm, toast.

Keep it up. Deferred maintenance is a bear to pay up. Ask me how I know........

So does the tailgate still look like s***?

View attachment 1723259

Why yes it does! But the Jerry can holder covers it nicely. Was it yours?

I know that rig! That’s mine next to it. I took a guy all the way to Benson to buy it out of a barnyard. It was pretty toasty back then.

Sounds like my hands are far from the first ones to spill a drop of blood or two on this rig. Would really enjoy reading the history.

Picked up the new fusible link and “junktion” box. Go home Toyota translate, you’re drunk!

FEF3681B-1373-4C5A-8C3D-350632E36AA1.jpeg

Why yes it does! But the Jerry can holder covers it nicely. Was it yours?

I wouldn’t own that pile of s***, it’s the wrong color! :flush:

Belonged to @Chachie, until his wife pickled his testicles and said it had to go.

I have worked on it a bit, though. Scary thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom