Cowl Seam and water intrusion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My cowl seam was caulked and painted with the vehicle in its previous life. It looks great, but now has some tiny cracks in the seams. Im getting water leaking into the front drivers footwell, which is dripping onto the fuse block and my front speaker.

I believe the source is this seam...what is the best solution for tackling this short of completely removing the old caulking and repainting?

IMG_4619.jpeg

IMG_4623.jpeg

IMG_4624.jpeg

Find matching touch up paint and use 3M Urethane Seam sealer, works excellent, just did on mine. It was a job I had been putting off. Find out how it works at next bath

Find matching touch up paint and use 3M Urethane Seam sealer, works excellent, just did on mine. It was a job I had been putting off. Find out how it works at next bath

Put it right on top of existing seam?

I was thinking about using this. thoughts?

IMG_4626.jpg

I scraped/removed what I could of the old, cleaned paint for any residue, used blue painters tape for margins. Waited to cure then painted touch-up style

B41B3FCF-7A43-4A4F-9052-DDE563EB4307.jpeg

Have not used the fast and firm

I scraped/removed what I could of the old, cleaned paint for any residue, used blue painters tape for margins. Waited to cure then painted touch-up style

View attachment 1722389

Thanks, this is very helpful...didnt think about taping it off.
Did you brush the touchup paint on?

Check your cowl drain tubes for leaks before doing any painting.

Yes, your leak could be originating from the seams but it could also be from bad drain tubes. I sealed my seams up and it still leaked...it was the drain tubes.

Check your cowl drain tubes for leaks before doing any painting.

Yes, your leak could be originating from the seams but it could also be from bad drain tubes. I sealed my seams up and it still leaked...it was the drain tubes.

Thanks, but mine is an 81...no drain tubes.

I put a temp silicon sealer on the joint to water test it. If this stops the leak, I’m going to follow @tls3601 advise and reseal and paint

1C4A3134-282F-42C7-8526-9F5660320E90.jpeg

Clear silicone is what I used, blended right in.

Clear silicone is what I used, blended right in.

I was actually pleasantly surprised how easy this was to apply and how nicely it flowed into the cracks...but I wonder how long it will last?
I selected it because I assumed it would be easy to remove in one piece...but I may just see how long it lasts first. Assuming this solves the problem...water test this afternoon will tell more.

I was actually pleasantly surprised how easy this was to apply and how nicely it flowed into the cracks...but I wonder how long it will last?
I selected it because I assumed it would be easy to remove in one piece...but I may just see how long it lasts first. Assuming this solves the problem...water test this afternoon will tell more.
If it's silicone then it will last. I recaulked my cowl seam over two years ago. Hasn't moved or leaked.

If it's silicone then it will last. I recaulked my cowl seam over two years ago. Hasn't moved or leaked.

What I used is just a standard window/door exterior Silicone caulk...its not an automotive seam sealer. Is that what you used?

What I used is just a standard window/door exterior Silicone caulk...its not an automotive seam sealer. Is that what you used?
Yeah just the clear stuff you'd use in your bathroom.

@AutaviaFJ40 yes good old artists style brush. Will do a second coat next time I am up North where the 40 is

Years ago there used to be a silicone that would flow, great for things like this where the sealant needs to flow into all of those deep and dark crevices. Anyone know if this is still available?

Part 2
The seam isn't the issue...its this mess

IMG_5701.jpeg

I cleaned it all out...I need to prep and prime the bare metal spots before re sealing it.
Dynatron Seam Sealer #550 or 3M Fast'n Firm Seam Sealer 08505?

IMG_4681.jpeg

IMG_8809.jpeg

IMG_5565.jpeg

I'm a big fan of the Lord Fusor brands. Honestly though, most anything should work fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom