First time in 25 years I hated my FJ80, lost control on curve. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

We had a 1FZFE that had a loose crank bolt.....well it was tight but not tight to spec. The truck had been to many shops....they would throw parts at it....never fixing the issue. The truck had intermittent power steering.......sometimes it would be there, sometimes it wouldn't. Very tricky to figure out. We torqued that crank bolt.....never had a problem again. And he had all new PS parts as a bonus!

May not be related but something to be aware of... when rebuilding a 40-series power steering gearbox, I harvested parts from a mini-truck power steering gearbox. I was surprised to find a hard tar-like substance had accumulated inside. Since the box sits at an angle, about 3-4 tablespoons worth of this stuff was built up inside at the lowest point. It appears the rubber power steering hoses were degraded within and the particles were building up in the gearbox.

So what happened?

I mean loss of power steering at speed is not really a big deal. You can still turn very easily if moving.

Work on structured sentences and complete thoughts.... Dude Its exhausting to read and comprehend your post.

Last edited:
Did somebody say “prostitutes in Chiapas Mexico?” I’m in!

@UltraFJ40

So what happened?

I mean loss of power steering at speed is not really a big deal. You can still turn very easily if moving.

Power steering is like power brakes, in as much as when you loose the power assist, it still works if you apply enough manual power! Two years ago my brake booster died at the top of a long hill that is too steep and loose to walk up or down. It is commonly referred to as "Edge of Earth". I have been up and down this hill a few times, so I went on down it, knowing that I needed to be really careful to maintain control. Braking with 2 feet is not that hard. I'd do it again in a heart beat. Oh, and I am almost 70 years old.

If the power steering pump is worn it will cavitate regardless of the condition of the fluid. That normally shows up at low speeds when trying to turn at full-lock into tight parking spaces or when doing u-turns not at regular on-road speeds. There's no need for PS cooler, just change the fluid to fresh stuff and go. Check all the hoses and pipework for the power steering system while you're at it.

then perhaps its not the power steering. the rig was almost impossible to turn.

One other trivia, In Texas when I purchased it, I swapped the new license plate.
Some guy called and reported I had stolen it. Bunch of troopers surrounded me 3 miles away, hands on guns, complete stand off.
They talked to me over the PA CB radio, "Please do not get out of the car, hands on your head" the works,

good times, and many more.

This is what I am talking about.... Stay on topic in this thread to get actual help, if that is what you are after. You can start a build thread or a general "this is my talk about anything thread" to post about all of your life experiences. Just stay on topic here.

I want to help you and am not trying to be an ass, but each of your post jump around mostly irrelevant topics as if they were written by a 14 year old.

This indicates a serious issue with your steering that could be related to one or any combination of the following items:
  • PS pump Issue
  • Steering Box Issue
  • Steering Linkage Issue
  • Knuckle Issue
  • Axle Issue
Based on what information I can piece together this is a problem which could result in a massive car accident injury/death. This issue - if you are not willing to take the time troubleshoot and fix - should be dealt with by a reputable mechanic that knows 80 series.

If you choose to take this on we are here to help guide you. Let us know.

Last edited:
Its been driven to Panama, chased by carjackers in honduris, had prostitutes try to get inside at a bar in Chiapas mexico, a car chase in costa rica with guns pointed at us. Costa rica is a total crap hole any way.
When I was in Costa Rica I saw this Land Cruiser, maybe it was yours?
2CD0F7C0-DDA4-4278-A9B2-EC424AB5ADCF.jpeg

@Jay-
What you are describing sounds very much like binding of your steering linkage. I would suggest jacking up the front end and turning the wheel from lock to lock, while someone is inspecting your steering linkage. You may find that something very evident by doing this.

Good luck.

One other trivia, In Texas when I purchased it, I swapped the new license plate.
Some guy called and reported I had stolen it. Bunch of troopers surrounded me 3 miles away, hands on guns, complete stand off.
They talked to me over the PA CB radio, "Please do not get out of the car, hands on your head" the works,

good times, and many more.
Why was it reported stolen? Was this when the steering went out? Did you pull a gun on the officers? That will typically put them on edge, at least thats what I learned from watching Walker Texas Ranger. Walker was in Texas too. You should be able to find a cruiser shop in texas to fix it for you.

If we wanted a sissy, we would have named them Dr. Quinn and Medicine Woman!

Difficult to diagnose or help the guy based on the information (or rather lack of relevant info that he shared). Maybe he will have better luck at Pirate.

Difficult to diagnose or help the guy based on the information (or rather lack of relevant info that he shared). Maybe he will have better luck at Pirate.

If he thinks we were harsh...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom