Tire rotation, spare tire (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Do you guys include the spare in your rotation? Took it in for its 5k service on my 2018 LC. The dealer says it’s just a tire rotation. I Asked that the spare be included. They’ll do it but it’s not something they normally do. Just curious if I’m being too picky.

Yes, always. It extends the life of all of the tires.

tire_rotation_67.jpg

I do five tire rotations, so i don't think you're being picky.

I insist on it as part of every oil change and tire rotation (~5k miles) at my dealer. A little chalk on the inside of the tires and a print out of a 5 tire rotation will help you ensure the work is completed and done correctly.

I always do a 5 tire rotation every 5,000 miles. Even on trips, I stop in a parking lot and rotate in 30 minutes.

That way, if I ever pop a tire, I have 4 tires left that are all at the same life and give much better ride for the remainder of those 4 tires.

^This.

Full-time 4WDs don't want to have a new tire mixed in with three others at 50% tread depth.

Also keep in mind that tire rubber has a 5 year life regardless of miles. That spare that's been under there for the last 10 or 15 years has been oxidized and will not perform like a younger tire. Paul Walker was a victim of this exact thing. Use up the spare along with the others and then when it's time replace all five.

Yes. All 5 of your wheels/tires should be the same, and all 5 should be rotated at least every oil change (5,000 miles).

Great to see the consensus on this point :clap:

Do you guys include the spare in your rotation? Took it in for its 5k service on my 2018 LC. The dealer says it’s just a tire rotation. I Asked that the spare be included. They’ll do it but it’s not something they normally do. Just curious if I’m being too picky.

The dealer probably doesn’t normally do a 5 tire rotation because almost no vehicles come with a full size spare now. Lots don’t have any spare. There are several ways of doing the 5 tire rotation, so have them pick one of the options @TonyP posted and stick with it. I do it every 5000 miles myself with the rearward cross.

I always have to argue with the dealership over the 5 tire rotation but it gets done in the end...

It’s it too late to rotate my spare in if I have about 10k on them?
Not at all. Rotate the spare in and do 10k rotations.

As long as each tire gets the same amount of wear, then you’ll keep them all even.

This is the Lexus recommended rotation for the LX 570:

View attachment 1722657

This rotation keeps tires rotating in the same direction, FWIW. And it's simpler to boot.

And not effective. When your left side tires are at replacement depth, you will still have 30% depth left on the right side tires - so then what do you do? Can't replace just the two left side tires because the new tires will not be the same circumfrence as the right side tires - no bueno. You are stuck buying 5 new tires when 3 of the tires still have 30% good tread left.

I don't think anyone runs unidirectional tires on the LC200/LX570 platform that would require this rotation scheme. Finally, it has been proven to be just an old wives' tale that tire wear increases (or belts separate, rubber de-laminates, etc., etc.) when tires are rotated so as to change the direction of rotation. It may have been the case with old bias ply tires, but in the age of the radial it is not an issue.

HTH

BTW, the LX570 tire rotation pattern posted by @Chocolate above is the same one shown as the Toyota recommended rotation pattern in my '17 LC Owner's Manual. That's why I do my own rotations; I don't want the dealer to actually use that one on my LC! Many years and 3 generations of LCs ago, the Tire Rack told me to use the rearward cross method on full-time 4WD vehicles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom