First time in 25 years I hated my FJ80, lost control on curve. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Norcal, not on fire but it was darn close.
100F plus and my power steering pump overheated?
My 70 year old weakling father managed to get me to assist and we both pulled hard and managed to pull over.

But wow what a defect?
I mean we could have just died, going fast also on a corner!

Bad fluid?
Over heated?
Mod with a cooler?

Just bajebisis mad crazy.
This was a very serious change we were going to die.

Funny thing I found a lifted Bull bar FJ80 guy parked in the shade a few miles away and I pulled over and he said it was over heating.

Also funny, same color FJ80.
Then a few miles later a third blue FJ80 with bull bars and lifted followed me a few miles.
man it was mystic blue FJ80 day, but it almost was my last day on earth.

Yes I know this is a very old rig..

Glad you're ok

You don't need a cooler, you just need new fluid. If it hasn't been changed in that long it is not going to be able to do the job it was designed to do. So do a very good flush, there are good instructions and even a video on here. And use a good quality fluid, some like hydraulic or synthetic ATF.

looong time. I had no idea.
Im taking my other rig today to get fluid.
Just had no idea.

Will that help or do I need a cooler because its "A very old rig" by todays standards.

This seems strange. Did you have fluid left after event? Sounds like a massive fluid loss, if there were no squealing of pump or massive foaming (air getting into system)

My Dad is the strongest man in the world. Always has been. He's in his late 70's, but still the strongest man. Glad to hear you and your Dad are okay. I would think overheating a PS pump on normal street driving would be more an indicator of a mechanical failure than a design defect. I'd check the fluid level first, then see if any of your linkage is binding or making contact with something. Lastly, didn't someone recently have an issue where they lost steering range because of a bad birf? Perhaps you have a birf that's ground into oblivion and contributing?

My Dad is the strongest man in the world. Always has been. He's in his late 70's, but still the strongest man. Glad to hear you and your Dad are okay. I would think overheating a PS pump on normal street driving would be more an indicator of a mechanical failure than a design defect. I'd check the fluid level first, then see if any of your linkage is binding or making contact with something. Lastly, didn't someone recently have an issue where they lost steering range because of a bad birf? Perhaps you have a birf that's ground into oblivion and contributing?

It was VERY HOT and I ran into the store and let it idle. Then I drove back on the freeeway at 50mph took a turn and KABLAMMO!

Why are you letting your father drive a vehicle thats in poor condition? "looong time" typically means never ever, and if thats the case its very possible many other items on the vehicle are likely the same way and have received the same maintenance/repairs as in none ever. Sounds like its time to sell the cruiser and go to your local toyota dealer and buy a brand new Land Cruiser, 4runner or Prius and start fresh. If its just being driven around town by an older individual who is unable to do repairs or maintenance then its time to move on to something that they can manage. Old vehicles need lots of attention, maintenance, and proper repairs or else they can be dangerous-especially if the person is unable to steer a vehicle that has lost its assist which for most people is not that difficult to steer unless you are at a stop.

I knew someone would take issue of this and get all huffy.
You try and take his Fj80 away. We have three, a 40/60/80 and looking for a 100.
Its a rock crawler fully built with $15K invested, never going to be for sell.
Its been driven to Panama, chased by carjackers in honduris, had prostitutes try to get inside at a bar in Chiapas mexico, a car chase in costa rica with guns pointed at us. Costa rica is a total crap hole any way.

pretty much will be with us for ever.

Id just like to get it fixed.

Those are all interesting experiences you have had with your rig however none of them list anything to do with it being maintained or repaired. Not huffy, if you or your father can't maintain it then what is left to do? Its hard to steer and the fluid has never been changed and the steering went kablammo. Can't help you fix that or give you any direction unless you give some details pics, how its used, mileage, maintenance history etc. Glad you got the vehicle stopped without injuring other motorists. If you are not mechanically inclined maybe take it to a reputable shop so they can put their hands on it and diagnose it for you. If its a rock crawler does it have full hydraulic ram steering or is it a stock steering system?

Last edited:
I knew someone would take issue of this and get all huffy.
You try and take his Fj80 away. We have three, a 40/60/80 and looking for a 100.
Its a rock crawler fully built with $15K invested, never going to be for sell.
Its been driven to Panama, chased by carjackers in honduris, had prostitutes try to get inside at a bar in Chiapas mexico, a car chase in costa rica with guns pointed at us. Costa rica is a total crap hole any way.

pretty much will be with us for ever.

Id just like to get it fixed.

For an 80 that sounds like 2 bumpers and maybe sliders lol

Glad everyone is ok. I'm sure that going from power steering to nothing is a bit of a shock in a corner for a 70 year old.

I am no automotive engineer, but I will offer a guess that the old fluid had absorbed water over time. When it got hot enough, it boiled. When it boiled, you heard the noise and gas (the air bubbles) can't provide the pressure required for "power steering" which is what you felt when the steering got alot harder. Flush the system, bleed it to remove any air introduced, then you should be fine. No additional cooler required.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom